Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Are you on about how it turns the tv on when it's powered up?

I've searched and it doesn't look like you can stop that without disabling cec.

You can do that, but it's not that intuitive.

1) set hdmi_ignore_cec_init to 1 in your config.txt
https://github.com/Evilpaul/RPi-config/blob/master/config.txt#L291

This will stop the automatic switch to RPi as the video source at power on.

2) Go to Settings -> System -> Input -> Peripherals and edit the libCEC options. There is an option to switch to XBMC that you will need to disable.

Soldato
Such as? my freeview is built into my TV

The DVB tuner in your telly is a separate setup and obviously cannot be recorded onto the pie.
You will need a USB DVB / DVB2 tuner for the pie to be able to record and use the pvr options in xbmc.
Best wait and see which USB DVB/2 will be best supported.

Associate
Hi guys new here at Overclockers but not new to the raspberry pi. I have used "Raspbmc" "xbian" and "Openelec" all linux for and incorporating XBMC on boot, i now use the openelec as this seems to be the one that loads fastest and without the freezes that i was getting with the other two.
I must say that experience will differ depending on the speed of your Broadband speed, i have a slow Sky connection, (you wouldn't believe how slow lol) so i cannot watch internet streamed HD movies so look for stuff that is Standard definition instead, therefore not so much buffering.

Try to keep connections directly to the PI to a minimum and as said by others use a Powered usb Hub for your Wifi dongle, keyboard and mouse reciever, external HDD, so as not to cause a drop in the voltage that the pi should be running at, if you do the PI will not like it at all.

I use for the psu, a Blackberry charger, it works perfectly.

Last edited:
Associate
Raspberry Pi Model B - 512MB
http://downloads.element14.com/raspberryPi1.html?isRedirect=true

Here are some of the New Features for Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB

Reset pin: Resets Raspberry Pi by adding a jumper to reset pin temporarily. No reset pin previously requiring you to pull the power to reset the board.

USB output fuses removed: allows greater capacity to power external USB devices.

ARM JTAG mod: Now an ARM JTAG debugger can be connected to Raspberry Pi – for super users with access to JTAG debuggers.

i2s mod: Raspberry Pi has three independent i2s busses running on it. The decision to swap the two that are surfaced to P1 and S5 means the i2c available for expansion is less busy and more reliable.

Version ID links and Additional Expansion: Version ID links were included to read version ID, but are not ever used. Instead they have been redeployed to add extra 4 x programmable I/O lines.

SMSC Power Supply: Design change recommended and implemented to correct the way the SMSC Ethernet/USB interface device provided power to other devices close to it.

New mounting holes: These can be used to properly mount the Pi in an enclosure or other rig. Note - Users risk damaging their Pi if they over tighten any retaining screws they choose to use.

LED Marking: Two marking errors on the PCB silkscreen layer have been corrected.

Soldato
Will 100% order one of these now.
Just need a SD card to load up Raspbmc and we are in business!

I am going to need a remote also, do i just buy a bluetooth dongle and a bluetooth remote? or is there a "recommended" list anywhere?

Thanks guys.

Soldato
Thanks guys, Will check the TV it is going to be used with for the CEC. If not can always use that app. Awesome!

Another quick one, any particular SD card I should use? there is different classes I can see etc.

Soldato
slightly gutted that the shipped 256mbs wont get replaced :(

I am too.. but the mem upgrade was so needed, mine runs so slow. On the bright side you and I have a very limited collectors item, one day it may be worth something like the crazy prices people pay for apple ones.

I'm tempted to get a 512 meg version thou.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom