Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Right got it. Great little bit of kit.

I have an issue with NFS though...can someone help? I am running FreeNFS on my W7 PC with D:\ exported. Then I'm trying to mount the "Films" folder from the export on my (RPi) client...

Code:
root@raspberrypi:/#  mount -t nfs -vvv -o vers=3 192.168.1.94:/Films /mnt
mount: fstab path: "/etc/fstab"
mount: mtab path:  "/etc/mtab"
mount: lock path:  "/etc/mtab~"
mount: temp path:  "/etc/mtab.tmp"
mount: UID:        0
mount: eUID:       0
mount: spec:  "192.168.1.94:/Films"
mount: node:  "/mnt"
mount: types: "nfs"
mount: opts:  "vers=3"
mount: external mount: argv[0] = "/sbin/mount.nfs"
mount: external mount: argv[1] = "192.168.1.94:/Films"
mount: external mount: argv[2] = "/mnt"
mount: external mount: argv[3] = "-v"
mount: external mount: argv[4] = "-o"
mount: external mount: argv[5] = "rw,vers=3"
mount.nfs: timeout set for Fri Dec 21 20:22:53 2012
mount.nfs: trying text-based options 'vers=3,addr=192.168.1.94'
mount.nfs: prog 100003, trying vers=3, prot=6
mount.nfs: trying 192.168.1.94 prog 100003 vers 3 prot TCP port 2049
mount.nfs: portmap query failed: RPC: Authentication error
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.1.94:/Films

Can anyone help? I don't know why it's saying access denied :confused:
I checked Windows FW and it's fine (even turned it off just to be sure)

Associate
My PI came yesterday.

Ive tried Rasbmc (netowkr boot, and full image) x2.
Ive tried Xbian full image.

They both say success in windows.

I put the SD in the PI with a HTC charger 5v 1A.
I get the ACT led bright green and the PWR led bright red/orange.
After about 1 minute the ACT light will go off leaving just the PWR.

With Xbian on there both PWR and ACT are staying on fully lit.

But no display, i did get a display once on the nework boot, it downloaded all the stuff and eventually froze. I rebooted and then no display again.

Where do i go from here its a 32gb SD.

Ive tried plugged in just power and i still get the same 2 lights.

Hope some can help,
Sean

Last edited:
Associate
Sure you haven't got a logon specified for the share?

Nah I don't think so. The drive/subfolders are open to one and all and I've turned off the requirement to have an account/password on the W7 PC in order to be able to access it. Frustrating.

What is everyone else doing for file sharing from a Windows machine? I am just copying files over at the moment using FileZilla. :(

Soldato
So I got my Pi yesterday and having some issues getting Raspbmc to install. I install it to the SD card via a reader on my PC and it says it's ok. Put the card in the Pi and it runs through the install and seems to do everything fine up until the last screen where I get a few DMA IRQ 6 ignored messages. It still says it installed fine and will continue after a reboot. It reboots and then I am left with the R logo on the top left of the screen, once or twice it has been large and centre.

I have literally no idea what to do I am a complete and utter Linux noob so it is all very confusing at the moment. Did anyone else have this issue?

Soldato
Nah I don't think so. The drive/subfolders are open to one and all and I've turned off the requirement to have an account/password on the W7 PC in order to be able to access it. Frustrating.

What is everyone else doing for file sharing from a Windows machine? I am just copying files over at the moment using FileZilla. :(

I'm simply share out Drives and/or folders.

I'm logging on as administrator

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to be picking one up in the new year to try and set up as a media player + web browser for the telly, where's the best place to be looking for them at the moment and is there still a backlog of orders?

Soldato
Farnell seem to be best due to the courier they use.

I bought mine from RS and took a while, although this was pre-ordered so probably not too comparable.

You'd have to look to alternatives to Raspbmc if you want to browse as I haven't found a good method of browsing yet.

Soldato
Guys, got the latest raspbmc on my original 256mb PI. Only just got it up and running and started using it for actually watching vids. I have noticed 2-3 times now in the middle of a film, it will blue screen and come up with a message saying "relax while XBMC restarts" or something like that, and it just reboots. No idea why. Any ideas?

Soldato
Regarding Raspbmc again:
Do you guys lock the refresh rate at 24p or set it to automatically adjust based on the video it plays back? I noticed that locking it at 24p seems to provide the smoothest stutter free playback with no jerkyness on panning scenes, where as setting to auto adjust doesn't seem to work properly.

Also, any recommendations to getting 1080p playback stutter free? Mine is so close out of the box on the latest build, but occasionally will lag a tiny bit. Does the 512mb rammodel help?

Soldato
I hear mixed things about installing on to a USB stick, worth a go maybe?
I need a power supply for mine, where can I pick one up other than the internet? Can go and get one at the weekend then.

Associate
For a noob, getting a nzb client installed is a mission in its self. Any distributions going around with a client re-installed. A bit like a xbmc one's floating around?

Soldato
xmbc is pretty cool on my pc but on the all conquering Pi its awesome, i like the overclocking feature, i think the developer is a genius for implementing hdmi-cec, it means activating SIMPLINK on my LG TV allows me to control it via the TV remote, i love the fact i can power the Pi from the TVs usb port too, so it comes on and off with the tele and frees up a plug socket (an empty one is hard to come by in my house, they are as rare as a chickens tooth) im just waiting for my VESA bracket to come so i can get rid of the electrical tape bodging it to the tele.

Soldato
It is cool, I just don't really need it. I heard you can stream Netflix/Hulu with it, that would be a good use. Not sure why, but I have been thinking about 100% custom routers, I wish they had a version with multiple Lans one Wan & wifi. Be awesome to have a router sized computer with the choice of any ARM router OS (Smoothwall, etc) there is routerboard, but their os has to go on it.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Associate
And super high delivery charges which makes it more expensive than elsewhere. And no way to order it with any other Farnell stuff to save on delivery because it's a separate "community" site. And no way to use the Farnell free delivery codes, because the "community site" doesn't have code field :(

Handling charge gets removed, they don't charge your debit card for that, so all in comes to £31.50 delivered including case, which I dont think is that bad. Fair enough you can't order with other Farnell stuff but for just a base Pi unit it's ok. Just waiting for mine to be arrive so I can join in!:D

Back
Top Bottom