Cypriot Austerity Measures

Soldato
as unfair as I think this tax is they are in real trouble now.

I do really feel for them especially considering this has all happened because of the greeks.

Soldato
The eurogroup will just put up and shut up , no real choice, if they send Cyprus into chaos its a whole new game. Greece and Spain will soon follow.

The ecb etc have to fully back the euro, or it is bound to fail.

Soldato
I think its time to let it fail tbh

Its too far gone now to save, it will be a mess for years to come with one country after another needing bail outs,

So much corruption, greed and arrogance in these Eastern European governments

As long as half of Italy still think Berlusconi is worthy of a vote i have little to no sympathy for them

Soldato

I do really feel for them especially considering this has all happened because of the greeks.

yeah right, let me remind you this crisis started with the collapse of Lehman Brothers and the housing crisis-fiasco in the US, some self criticism is needed from time to time you know..

Soldato
yeah right, let me remind you this crisis started with the collapse of Lehman Brothers and the housing crisis-fiasco in the US, some self criticism is needed from time to time you know..

This crisis started when France and Germany decided to let other countries into the single currency.
Everything since then has made it worse, or delayed the crash.

Soldato
This crisis started when France and Germany decided to let other countries into the single currency.
Everything since then has made it worse, or delayed the crash.

agreed, i fully accept the unbelievable misbehave on our part but there have been choices and mistakes from almost every member state, the western world as a whole is in trouble from this debt buildup, the grand picture i see is that globalization served only the capital and stripped western countries from their manufacturing capacity which IS and should be the foundation of a healthy economy.

Associate
Talk of Gazprom offering to re-structure Cyprus's debts in exchange for gas exploration licences and rights. Cyprus's finance minister is in Moscow talking to the Russians. Looks like this story is going to run and run...

Associate
They want to re-structure a deal to protect deposits below 25,000 euros.
A lot of parties however already said No no matter what that deal will be.

The fault wasn't on Greece's part. It was of whoever thought of the bailout plan for Greece. They knew we invested heavily into Greece to help them, but still they pushed for it, without any safety net for us.

Greece was just taking orders at that point.

Soldato
As soon as those banks open its going to be chaos. Not one sole will leave their money in a Cypriot bank a minute longer than they have to. It's going to implode on Thursday.

Soldato
Now the fight will be between Russia and the EU bankrolling the country. Given the feelings towards the EU I'll guess they will leave the EU and Russia will pick up the tab. I expect the money they need to keep things going will be small change to Russia and they will get a foot in the door in Europe again but with rights to resources etc. If other countries see this as an alternative we could have multiple countries leaving being bankrolled by Russia / China etc

Caporegime

this really... as messed up as it was they do have huge deposits there from a lot of dodgy Russians a tax on deposits might in some ways be preferable...

what a complete mess though

EU finance ministers had previously warned that Cyprus' two biggest banks would collapse if the deal failed to go through in some form.

But after the vote the European Central Bank (ECB) moved quickly to announce it would continue to provide support for struggling Cypriot banks "as needed within the existing rules".

in b4 there is a massive run on all Cypriot banks anyway now.... Cyprus is completely screwed

Back
Top Bottom