Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
When your chain/chainring look like this it's time to change them!

temporary_zpsb912ecff.jpg

Chain 'stretch' happens due to this happening to the pins.
temporary_zps7af8efa3.jpg

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;23983771 said:
Just for you:

E7C88541-758A-404A-9903-DFBA0076FEA0-1239-000000A927E9120A_zps2119b1c3.jpg

Nice looking wheels, gotta love Royce hubs, the Rolls of the hub world along with Chris King!

Here come the questions!

What truing stand do you use? Do you recommend it? Do you use a dishing tool or just use the frame / fork?

Associate
More. Bloody. Snow.

Tell me about it...

This is the first bit of snow I've had to ride in since swapping my 32mm Marathon Plus for 25mm Durano Plus and holy crap that was a scary ride in. Those tyres are squirrelly as hell. I was also getting some weird chain slippage that felt like a loose locknut or a dodgy freehub (so no traction then it'd catch, then no traction again). I can't reproduce it off the bike now I'm at work though so I'll have to keep a close eye on that one.

Soldato
Nice looking wheels, gotta love Royce hubs, the Rolls of the hub world along with Chris King!

Here come the questions!

What truing stand do you use? Do you recommend it? Do you use a dishing tool or just use the frame / fork?

Chris King R45s? Like my other wheels? Yes, they are lovely...

39074350.jpg

I use a Park TS8. It's more of a trying stand but it does the job. There is no concentric truing bar on it.

For dishing I've got a Park WAG5 which also does the job. It's the only dishing tool I've used so I can't really compare it to anything.

Associate
[Damien];23984712 said:
Tell me about it...

This is the first bit of snow I've had to ride in since swapping my 32mm Marathon Plus for 25mm Durano Plus and holy crap that was a scary ride in. Those tyres are squirrelly as hell. I was also getting some weird chain slippage that felt like a loose locknut or a dodgy freehub (so no traction then it'd catch, then no traction again). I can't reproduce it off the bike now I'm at work though so I'll have to keep a close eye on that one.

That sounds really similar to something i mentioned a few pages back. Is it immediately after you back pedal for a second that you lose traction and then it catches again?

I went and spoke to my lbs on my lunch the other day, and they reckoned it was probably due to the freehub getting gunked up. Which would make sense given i've rode the bike all winter and it's all farm roads round here, so pretty mucky. Even though i clean it after every ride, my bike isn't feeling particularly smooth to ride any more.

Anyway, mine's going in for a full service next tuesday (front and rear hubs and bottom bracket stripped down and re-greased, new gear cables, new chain, general tune up etc) so i'll see what they say once they've taken a look at it and let you know.

Associate
That sounds really similar to something i mentioned a few pages back. Is it immediately after you back pedal for a second that you lose traction and then it catches again?

I went and spoke to my lbs on my lunch the other day, and they reckoned it was probably due to the freehub getting gunked up. Which would make sense given i've rode the bike all winter and it's all farm roads round here, so pretty mucky. Even though i clean it after every ride, my bike isn't feeling particularly smooth to ride any more.

Anyway, mine's going in for a full service next tuesday (front and rear hubs and bottom bracket stripped down and re-greased, new gear cables, new chain, general tune up etc) so i'll see what they say once they've taken a look at it and let you know.

Yeah it feels like the ratchet in the freehub not catching properly. The wheels are only a couple of months old so god knows. Changing gear helps though so it might be a loose locknut after all. I'll find out for definite when I get home.

Soldato
[Damien];23985100 said:
Why? Are you on super skinny tyres or something? I'm pushing 90kg and even I only need 120psi in my 25mm rear.

23mm, this is the max rating of the tires so i keep it at that.

145psi! Why? :)

not for speed obviously, i dont think it matters after 80ish psi really.

No wonder your tyres explode!:p

Higher pressure ≠ faster!

never had a tyre explode on me :o a rim yes but not a tire.. :) main reason is simple, this is the max rating for the tires so i inflate them to that and over 2-3 weeks it'll drop to a more "normal" 120-ish psi... :)

i know people who run 170 :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom