Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
[Damien];23985285 said:
Fair enough. You do realise don't you that 23mm tyres have basically no advantage over 25mm tyres bar a slight aero one and can actually perform worse due to increased sidewall deformity resulting in increased rolling resistance?

Edit: Linky

mudguard clearance.. even with 23mm tyres everything is like 1mm away.. and 23's were in stock while 25's were not. i really had no preference for size simply went with what i had before and thats about it :)

i was happy with original 23c and these are quite good too, haven't found the breaking point on them yet.. but they do feel more grippy compared to my original b'twin tyres.

Soldato
which cosmics did you get for your rose? and what are they like?

They are low end Cosmic Carbone SL. Despite the name there isn't any carbon in them.

They look nice (if deep rims are your thing), sound nice and feel very fast on the flat or descending. Accelerating from a standing start and climbing they feel a bit heavy and they aren't really that light at just under 1800g before skewers/tyres/tubes.

When they wear out I'd probably replace them with a shallow climbing rim or perhaps a 38mm aero rim. I'm not sure I benefit from 52mm rims in terms of performance and I've **** myself a few times when a crosswind has almost blown me over.

Associate
They are low end Cosmic Carbone SL. Despite the name there isn't any carbon in them.

They look nice (if deep rims are your thing), sound nice and feel very fast on the flat or descending. Accelerating from a standing start and climbing they feel a bit heavy and they aren't really that light at just under 1800g before skewers/tyres/tubes.

When they wear out I'd probably replace them with a shallow climbing rim or perhaps a 38mm aero rim. I'm not sure I benefit from 52mm rims in terms of performance and I've **** myself a few times when a crosswind has almost blown me over.

thanks. crosswinds would be an issue for me as i dont weigh much. think maybe some elites might be better or maybe some handbuilts

Soldato
But the weave effect on the rim is fake isn't it?

Not really.
Most of time when you see something in bare carbon, the top layer is more of a thin cosmetic layer rather than anything structural.
This is what a real bare carbon frame looks like.
This is what carbon with a cosmetic wrap looks like.

So, yes, the weave effect on cosmics is real carbon but possibly more cosmetic than structural.

Soldato
Not really.
Most of time when you see something in bare carbon, the top layer is more of a thin cosmetic layer rather than anything structural.
This is what a real bare carbon frame looks like.
This is what carbon with a cosmetic wrap looks like.

So, yes, the weave effect on cosmics is real carbon but possibly more cosmetic than structural.

My frame is bare carbon. I just didn't know the Carbones had any carbon in, I feel better knowing it's not fake.:D

They are still heavy though.:(

InQ

InQ

Associate
On the subject of wheels i emailed Derek @ Wheelsmith about the carbon wheels he does, i was considering some chinese sourced rims but i'm thinking of going this way now (i seem to forever change my mind!)
Dont know whether to go tubular or stick to clincher but i think i will be going for Gigantex 50mm with his Wheelsmith 295g hubs and Sapim CXRay.
The tubs are 23mm wide and ~1260g and in the clincher they are 24mm wide and ~1440g (Campag Shamal weight/price but 50mm!).
Had considered the Carbones SL but for the same money you might as well go save 300g+ if going clincher.

If i'm being honest i'm probably thinking of sticking with what i know which is clincher, 180g isnt massive and they are Shamal weight so will be good going up hills still!

Associate
Not sure if there are to many south coast folk on here, but I have just had an email to say the south downs sportive scheduled for Saturday has been postponed until the 18th May.

Being indoors is not doing my wallet any good as all I'm doing is sitting on the internet looking at things to buy.

I'm probably going to apply rule 5 and go out for a ride anyway.

When will this weather end!

Soldato
Not sure if there are to many south coast folk on here, but I have just had an email to say the south downs sportive scheduled for Saturday has been postponed until the 18th May.

Being indoors is not doing my wallet any good as all I'm doing is sitting on the internet looking at things to buy.

I'm probably going to apply rule 5 and go out for a ride anyway.

When will this weather end!

what weather? rain snow cold? if rain, cold, wind.. then man up and do it ;):D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom