Show us your drawings/artwork

Associate
Really, REALLY want to get back in to drawing or 3D art / modelling, just not done it in YEARS :(

No idea where to start, or whether or not it's worth pursuing as a career as I'm a complete beginner again basically.

I'd start a course or something, but I really have no idea what company's to trust or if there are local clubs etc to attend, really cannot be bothered with IT Support anymore.

Never too late to get back on it. Avoid courses at all cost, waste of money and time, you need 0 qualifications to get a job. Buy some online tutorials and there is plenty free, will just take a long time and commitment.

Caporegime
Never too late to get back on it. Avoid courses at all cost, waste of money and time, you need 0 qualifications to get a job. Buy some online tutorials and there is plenty free, will just take a long time and commitment.

Cheers mate.

I'm just struggling to figure out where to start in all honesty. That and I'm almost embarrassed to try for some reason.

Would you suggest going back to drawing basics? Or just try and draw a few things from reference to build up experience 'doing it' for the time being?

I used to love using 3Ds Max, and things like WorldCraft for Half life :p - I just never followed it.

Associate
Cheers mate.

I'm just struggling to figure out where to start in all honesty. That and I'm almost embarrassed to try for some reason.

Would you suggest going back to drawing basics? Or just try and draw a few things from reference to build up experience 'doing it' for the time being?

I used to love using 3Ds Max, and things like WorldCraft for Half life :p - I just never followed it.

Traditional techniques are a must and I've worked that backwards to be honest. Started in 3D then went back and revised the essential skills.

2D really won't get you work to be honest, that's something you could move on to (I'm presuming you aren't already an expert) 3D, make props, collect reference of your favorite games then find concept art and keep it simple! Never copy existing games/3d as you will make the mistakes they make, just look for inspiration.

Join forums and cry at the current standard of work being produced and then crack on with it. It's a lot easier to get access to educational material now but the quality of work has increased to a level so far beyond when I got into the industry it's embarrassing.

Main piece of advise is to keep it simple. We see too many people going straight to 'I want to be a concept artist or wanting to making a full gears of war scene'. 99.9% of people will start off modelling a barrier or down rezzing, building lods or general maintenance.

Caporegime
Thanks buddy. Think i'll just have to pick up my drawing pen and crack on to be honest, get some basics down and make sure my heart is in it.

I used to be a member on 3dTotal so may go back there and look around :)

Soldato
the quality of work has increased to a level so far beyond when I got into the industry it's embarrassing.
So true,

The level of talent for digital art has sky-rocketed in the last 10 years during the time I've been dabbling in it.

Almost why I'm tempted to stick to traditional paintings/drawings (as the talent creep seems much slower!).

While I'd love to do it as a job art, I don't think I've got the time required to get good enough to do it for a living.

Some great artists on here, it makes posting work intimidating lol.

Haven't posted much on here for a bit, (mostly in my charity fundraising thread thing) - but here's my favourites of my last few.

All sketched in pencil, then shaded using promarker art pens.

space_marine_by_darkelmarko-d5zgwyx.jpg

donnie_darko_by_darkelmarko-d5zb4gq.jpg

black_widow2_by_darkelmarko-d5yy8gm.jpg

louis_armstrong_by_darkelmarko-d606x0y.jpg

sin_city_by_darkelmarko_d5zkf6t_by_darkelmarko-d6189ag.jpg

Permabanned
Don't suppose you guys could tell me what series of tutorials you started ZBrush or Mudbox with? Some of those £50 downloadable tutorials aren't worth it so i would like to avoid those ones.

Thanks

Associate
Don't suppose you guys could tell me what series of tutorials you started ZBrush or Mudbox with? Some of those £50 downloadable tutorials aren't worth it so i would like to avoid those ones.

Thanks

I must say I've learnt the most from these:

http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/

and following forums where people share their workflows/tips.

I wouldn't be paying for the premium tutorials to be honest.

Associate
Elmarko. Don't suppose you sell your drawings? Love the space marine and been looking ages for a Tau themed print for my office. If you ever did one would be interested to see if you would sell etc. Not got a lot of money but have even less talent or would try one myself. Level of talent in this thread is fantastic!

Soldato
Elmarko. Don't suppose you sell your drawings? Love the space marine and been looking ages for a Tau themed print for my office. If you ever did one would be interested to see if you would sell etc. Not got a lot of money but have even less talent or would try one myself. Level of talent in this thread is fantastic!
I don't sell work for cash, but I do have a charity thread.

(I send art-work in the post in exchange for charitable donations to shelter via my just-giving account)

Link to thread.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18495982

The space marine one is still available for a donation, a Tau one would be interested to try at some point :).

Associate
I don't sell work for cash, but I do have a charity thread.

(I send art-work in the post in exchange for charitable donations to shelter via my just-giving account)

Link to thread.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18495982

The space marine one is still available for a donation, a Tau one would be interested to try at some point :).

I have a friend in mind for the Marine so will show him tonight. Will keep an eye on this thread and a Tau one will be quickly snapped up :)

Soldato
Would anyone in here be willing to do a very simple tshirt design for my universitys kayak club?
An old design is :
tshirt9.jpg

and new one would like to be something similar to:

73317_10152747781430061_257248363_n_zps8aa52872.jpg

Would similarly want the hills added to this and the GUCC logo. Also possibly the bottle of wine going from bottom left to top centre?

Only want in black and white as easier to print to tshirts (needs to be quite high res due to this!). Thanks, Craig.

Last edited:
Soldato
Started using Zbrush 4 over the weekend, definitely much easier using a wacom cintiq compared to the mouse.

Found a couple of tutorials & still finding it a little daunting! - did some 3d modelling a while back & have done some photo-shop/traditional work - but sculpting is a different kettle of fish.

Do you guys know any good on-line tutorials (free preferably) - found a couple I'm working through (10hours+ each) but some are a bit naff.

So far, I can add detail & build up forms on existing shapes - but having troubling creating a frame to build upon (For a body/animal shape).

Maybe I'm starting out too complicated.

Back
Top Bottom