Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Need to be SPD really. Have look delta cleats purely for track bikes and my R077 shoes can take SPD-SL but it means extra cleats for them.

SPD only ideally.

I use A520's on my road bike and though they look better they're worse in general use than the double sided M540's on my other bikes. Comfort wise I can't tell the difference.

Soldato
Spent the evening servicing the freehub. It wasn't spinning smoothly at all. Its so rewarding when everything is finally back together, spinning smoothly and pretty much silent in comparison to what it was. A good evenings work. :)

Soldato
Spent the evening servicing the freehub. It wasn't spinning smoothly at all. Its so rewarding when everything is finally back together, spinning smoothly and pretty much silent in comparison to what it was. A good evenings work. :)

my bike is silent too now! but good god that BB was a hell.. no wait i think id enjoy hell more than that! it was SO bad i still am unsure how it managed to go from simple rebuild to massive turd storm..

well at least it looks like a tank now.. some little details left and ill get a pic up, none of you will like it IMO but i love the way it looks now.

Associate
I use A520's on my road bike and though they look better they're worse in general use than the double sided M540's on my other bikes. Comfort wise I can't tell the difference.

I have A520s... I sometimes have difficulty getting the left in, with it being only single sided, but they do the job.

That reminds me actually. I need to decide what pedals I'm sticking on this Canyon when it arrives. I'm using M324's (single sided, SPD) at the moment for general use/commuting and can't fault them really but I might go double sided for the canyon. I'm not sure.

Spec me some SPD pedals peeps!

Also, anyone here done a track cycling taster session @ Mcr velodrome before? I've got one coming up and just wondered what to expect for someone who's never done it before.

Soldato
It is so easy to get carried away when cleaning/servicing things. :p

[Damien];24208492 said:
Also, anyone here done a track cycling taster session @ Mcr velodrome before? I've got one coming up and just wondered what to expect for someone who's never done it before.

I went once when I was about 15. From what I remember, excellent fun but very tiring. Started by getting used to the bikes with casual riding around the track, followed by some more structured riding in groups. I can't remember much more but I'm sure it will have all changed since then.

Soldato
[Damien];24208492 said:
Spec me some SPD pedals peeps!

Anything other than SPD-SL's on the Canyon would be a disservice!

I ride my Ti w/ Carbon Ultegra's & trainers to the shops like a boss. :D

Seems Spring is finally here so time to get serious about weight loss, figure I need to drop 6-7lb to get to get back to fighting weight :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Just been to see a physio about my hamstring pain around the back of the knee

Turns out its tendinitis and there's a build up of scar tissue causing swelling. He thinks I should be fine for the dragon ride 8th June, and I can carry on with light excercise in the meantime. I think I'll be riding indoors for the next few weeks as I know if I go outside I'll only end up pushing it too hard!

Soldato
[Damien];24208763 said:
In all seriousness though, I'll be keeping my cyclocross for the heavier stuff like commuting etc. The Canyon will be my weekend bike.

you've just killed a kitten you monster! :mad:

bikes are meant to be ridden no matter the weather or what its for.. if i had a good bike it would be abused because thats why i bought it!

but hey its me :cool:

Associate
you've just killed a kitten you monster! :mad:

bikes are meant to be ridden no matter the weather or what its for.. if i had a good bike it would be abused because thats why i bought it!

but hey its me :cool:

If that was the case then I'd have saved myself the £1300+ and carried on using the CX all year round :p

The CX is comfy and bombproof but it's a bit on the heavy side. The Canyon should be a bit nippier on the hills, plus it's got 50/34 rings & an 11-32 MTB cassette so it'll be easy mode for my knees.

Soldato
11 Speed Ultegra \o/

I don't use a saddlebag, I have a lezyne caddy sack which is a small waterproof bag. I have a spare tube, pair of parks levers, a powerlink and a $10 note inside. Just goes into the middle jersey pocket.

Had almost a week off the bike as I went away for a long weekend tying in with ANZAC day here. Rode 50km Tuesday and 25km today, it hurt yesterday all ride, but I had good speed, go figure.

Hill reps today of Mt Panorama, need to build power for racing! It's a world of pain! Still made a decent improvement over the first time I rode the track a month or so back. Three laps of this "hill" before dinner....

After riding up the large red section of 10%+ it's amazing how easy it feels to ride on the 3-5% sections!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom