Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Something like H+Son Archetype with black hubs + black spokes might be what you are looking for.

£400 would get you 1600g wheels with decent hubs I reckon.

edit: at 90kg maybe 32h/32h at the expense of a bit more weight would be a good idea?

hope to archetype/a23

The archetype is a massively stiff rim (I've got two pairs) and I think you would be fine with 28 spokes, depending on the hub. If I remember without looking (as I've also got Hopes with Open Pros) the Hopes have quite narrow flanges and therefore aren't great if you want to reduce your spoke count. Would be fine with 32 though.

For reference my Archetypes on Royce hubs with 32 DT Competitions are closer to 1700g than 1600g. My 28/24 Archetypes on CK R45s are 1550g with CX-Ray spokes.

Soldato
Open pros on Ambrosio zenith make for a great keenly priced wheel.

The ultegra hub doesn't offer any real benefit over the 105 really imho

Soldato
There is a shortage of Archetypes in the UK. Brick Lane Bikes are the distributor and I think they are expecting stock early next month. Hubjub are generally a few quid per rim cheaper for H Plus Son stuff than everone else; my TB14s were £45 instead of £53. That's if you are buying the bits yourself.

£100 for rims, 105 5700 hubs for £45 from Ribble, £35 for spokes and £50 to build. £230. Bargain.

Caporegime
Bringing my lycra to work tomorrow for a cycling challenge. We've got some watt bikes from the cycling centre and the departments are facing off against each other. I've got a 25 minute shift in the morning. I think I'll be aiming for 8 miles in that time.

Soldato
Bringing my lycra to work tomorrow for a cycling challenge. We've got some watt bikes from the cycling centre and the departments are facing off against each other. I've got a 25 minute shift in the morning. I think I'll be aiming for 8 miles in that time.

Awesome. I'd love a shot on a wattbike. Will they let you see your power graph?

Suspended
Awesome. I'd love a shot on a wattbike. Will they let you see your power graph?

They have just got one in our work gym. The display shows the way you put power through your pedal stroke, and if you have perfect style it should show two circles. Mine is all over the place - definitely have poor pedalling form ;)

Good fun though and great training. You can replicate your own bike position pretty much perfectly if you take a tape measure in.

Soldato
I ain for 90+ on the flats, over a 100 rpm seems to spin too fast for me that I have to change gear
aim for a minimum of 75

Noted cheers.
I try and keep a cadence avg above 90, i generally hit 100-110 uphill though
Noted cheers.
Try not to have a fixed speed in mind when you're doing this.
At the start, when you're fresh, if there is a slight climb or small headwind it can slow you down without you realising it, so you might try to push too hard to maintain your pace.
Also, you'll naturally tire out and get slower as you go so if you're dropping below your target pace after several hours and you try to push a bit to maintain the pace, you'll probably blow up.

Manage your cadence and heart rate and if you're going faster than expected, that's great, but if you're going slower, dont panic about it.

Breaking into 40 mile chunks is good but be careful with eating/drinking. If you're 35 miles into your 40 mile chunk and you start to feel hungry, it would be easy to ignore and just wait 5 miles to stop and eat. It's not a good idea to do that though. You dont have to stop and eat loads, just a banana or something to get you to the next stop.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm no expert, but i'v done a couple of 24 hour races so i know a little bit about what to expect.

When is your ride?

July 6th - cheers for that. I've taken it all on board. Was aiming to take it nice and easy down to Dover as limited by when the ferry leaves. Once in france i was going to pick the pace up for the 1st 2 stops to get ahead as i know I'll struggle after that. Normally have a banana and a gel pack every hr.

Need to get some serious cycling done in build up to my Paris ride in July.
Done 120miles this week but need to do more. I was going to do another 50/60miles today but went up to Bosworth Water Park and on the way back ran into my biggest fear - a pothole that popped both tyres! Ran out of CO2 as the canister didn't work right for some reason!
Ended up stuck in middle of nowhere, alone and having to ride on 2 flat tyres to nearest town for help as had cycling shoes on so couldn't walk home easily! Would have helped if the 10 or so cars i flagged down actually stopped! Luckily a local farmer gave me a lift home!
So I'm back to not risking going anywhere other than Hinckley or Lutterworth as i have friends/family in either locally.

Associate
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom