Salting your steaks...

Man of Honour
My method these days tends to be to apply a liberal amount of salt to the outside of the steak as soon as I get home and put it in the fridge (in an open container). I'll turn it once a day until I eventually eat it (having brought it up to room temperature first obviously).

End result is well seasoned and partially dry-aged. Nom.

edit: I see you pretty much do the same in your article :)

Man of Honour
I still haven't tried it, due to the time, there was a thread a while back about this.

People think moist steak is about water but its not, a few months old dry aged steak can have massive water loss, but when cooked is still moist and tender.

Soldato
OP
My method these days tends to be to apply a liberal amount of salt to the outside of the steak as soon as I get home and put it in the fridge (in an open container). I'll turn it once a day until I eventually eat it (having brought it up to room temperature first obviously).

End result is well seasoned and partially dry-aged. Nom.

edit: I see you pretty much do the same in your article :)

I have just read this http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html?ref=thumb

Which dispelled the myth about bringing the steak to room temp too. Which is a learn for me as well. I love the food lab on there. :D

Soldato
I salt my steak for a good hour before cooking.

I am also now in the habit of marinating both pork and chicken in first salt, them lemon juice for an hour before cooking, regardles of how it is being presented. Makes the meat so much more juicy.

Man of Honour
I have just read this http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html?ref=thumb

Which dispelled the myth about bringing the steak to room temp too. Which is a learn for me as well. I love the food lab on there. :D

I've read various things about dispelling myths on steak temperature. I've tried both ways quite a few times and personally I think it depends on the thickness of your steak and how well-done (well, badly-done :p ) you like it.

I tend to agree that bringing it to room temperature is not needed but I guess it's a habit these days. Also, when I say let it come to room temperature I tend to leave it out of the fridge for about 6 hours rather than 1 :p

Personally I have been meaning to change my method to one where I don't bother letting it come to room temperature as it's easier to keep the middle rare whilst getting a nice browning on the outside. I also don't bother with resting steak btw :)

edit: I've read that article before and a few others (including the ones on amazing-ribs) and although I agree with most of what is being said on there I've definitely found it is worthwhile experimenting with the different techniques to see what works for you.

Soldato
Yeah I season mine in the morning with fresh crushed black pepper and plenty of sea salt then bring up to room temp and oil before frying in a smoking hot griddle and resting in a warm oven (60c).

On a bbq I sear with direct then give a few minutes using indirect heat (brushing with clarified butter) and then rest.

Makes an almighty difference salting it.

Caporegime
I leave em out of the fridge for around 2 hours, adding a steak rub for the last hour, then oil em up and grill for great justice.

Steak rub came from East London Steak Co, and is smoked sea salt, pepper, brown sugar and some other things. Gives a great caramelized char.

Soldato
How about trying it for yourself, before listening to someone else's opinion? :p

Proof is in the results. Say what you like about what other people have said, but do one side by side and you'll taste the difference!

you using Maldon or just standard table salt? How much? Will try this on Friday and report back with results...

I take it you need to wash them after salting?

Man of Honour
you using Maldon or just standard table salt? How much? Will try this on Friday and report back with results...

I take it you need to wash them after salting?

Use whatever kind of salt you like (I tend to use fairly cheap sea salt).

You don't wash them after salting. It's not like when you brine meat :)

Soldato
OP
As above; normal salt I used, I figured that the smaller grains would dissolve quicker.

So it's visible over the surface, you know? but not coated like snow!

If you leave it like, an hour? It should have a dry surface to your steak. Mine, left after 4/5 hours was totally dry on the top. Looked a bit questionable, but it's all good. The way it's supposed to be.

Soldato
As above; normal salt I used, I figured that the smaller grains would dissolve quicker.

So it's visible over the surface, you know? but not coated like snow!

If you leave it like, an hour? It should have a dry surface to your steak. Mine, left after 4/5 hours was totally dry on the top. Looked a bit questionable, but it's all good. The way it's supposed to be.

So you don't wash them afterwards? Doesn't that mean you will now be eating a steak with a really quite worrying amount of salt in it?

Back
Top Bottom