Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
How difficult is it to replace a hub?

Though having said that I'm thinking that the next upgrade for me will be some climbing wheels.

replacing and lacing it up is not hard, truing the wheel properly is something that needs some practice :) managed to do a bmx wheel with cross lacing and roadie would be easier so id be ok i think if i ever had to replace one.

Soldato
Anybody had a look at the classic segments on strava yet? Looks like a great way to plan your next holiday :p A list of the best climbs around.

I'v ridden 3 of the segments (Coll De Soller - Mallorca, Hardknott - Lakes, Bealach Na Ba - North west Scotland).

I've only ridden Coll De Soller. Awesome climb. But on the site it says:

The longest climb on the island of Mallorca

Lies!!

Soldato

Yep, there seems to be some confusion there between Coll De Soller and Puig Major.
The Puig is the longest climb. In the reviews section some people talk about all the hairpins (which is Coll De Soller) and some people talk about a small downhill 2/3 of the way up and a tunnel at the top (which is the Puig Major).
Either way, they are both great climbs.

Soldato
I'm going to Majorca at the start of September and tempted to hire a bike for the day to do the Coll de Soller.

Do it.
Hire bike out there are great and you'll really be annoyed at yourself if you do go so close to some great climbs and not ride them.
You could easily leave early and do a couple of the climbs and be back with the family by lunchtime if you wanted.

Soldato
Yeah, I really want to but if anything I'm more worried about the descents on a bike that I'm not used to. Although saying that my bike is twitchy as hell since changing to the Schwalbe Ultremo's :p

Soldato
The descents are the best bit!
The road surfaces are really good and it gives you a lot of confidence to lean into the corners if you want to. But the climbs are not really that steep, a 6% average gradient is around 6% all the way up, not a mixture of 1% and 25% like we get over here. It makes it quite easy to control your speed if you want to take it easy.

(that's on a hire bike btw)

Soldato
The descents are the best bit!
The road surfaces are really good and it gives you a lot of confidence to lean into the corners if you want to.

100% agreed! The roads give you so much confidence to whip around the corners with speed. You feel comfortable knowing that the road surface will be smooth and solid all the way around.

In the UK, especially with unknown roads, you just can not guarantee the road surface. So I personally take it a little slower as the likelihood is that there will be a pot hole or loose pebbles in the road.

Underboss
Decided to try the Rollers again this morning, and I didn't do too badly

after about an hour I finally managed to hold the bike with both hands for about 2 minutes
although I'm still fighting it so I don't fall off !!

I cant see me getting a good workout from it, going to look for a turbo training on the bay, as I want a good workout over the winter this year, as I've done a lot to improve my fitness, I don't want it going to waste

Soldato
Are rollers really that difficult? I'm not mocking, I'm going get either a turbo or rollers for my birthday and figured the scare stories about rollers were overblown! I really fancy rollers, and I'm inclined to think a turbo would be a waste of money when I can go and spin in the gym. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom