Somewhat vague spec me a car thread (as always!)

Soldato
I have been deliberating whether to change my fiancees car.

It's a 54 plate Volvo S60 D5 SE with about 80k miles on the clock, and was previously used by me. The Volvo appears to be worth around £3000-£3500.

She is by no means a car person, but does feel that the Volvo isn't the sort of car she would like given the choice. She also has a decent job so image wise parking the Volvo in the car park each day isn't a great look.

Given my fiancee has little interest in cars I see no point in spending much money on changing, but wonder if I could get something she'd prefer for around £4k. The sort of cars she likes is the Seat Leon / Mazda 3 / Ford Fiesta / Skoda Octavia / Quashqai. She doesn't like cars like the Mini, Fiat 500, Mondeo. I personally have a soft spot for a Mk2.5 MX-5.

She did like the idea of going for a soft roader (e.g. Qashqai / Volvo XC60 / Q3), but I really don't see the point spending £10k+ for a second car when she has to little interest in cars.

She drives around 10k miles per year so definitely petrol and practicality is not an issue.

Be great to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
Permabanned
My thoughts are if my girlfriend had a decent job and wanted to drop 10k on a car I would tell her to go ahead. But she's not getting anything from me for it. I'll go drop 10k of my own money on something I have absolutely no interest in just to appeal to my peers too. Like a boat.

Soldato
This is where I'd normally say get a Mini to keep her quiet but she doesn't like it!

I think it's a case of the number on the registration plate rather than the badge which portrays her image, given the list of the cars she likes...

Soldato
OP
My thoughts are if my girlfriend had a decent job and wanted to drop 10k on a car I would tell her to go ahead. But she's not getting anything from me for it. I'll go drop 10k of my own money on something I have absolutely no interest in just to appeal to my peers too. Like a boat.

Thanks for your thoughts however we are well past that to say the least and treat our income as combined. Changing a car (particularly if it meant spending an extra £6.5k) would be a joint decision as in most long term relationships.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This is where I'd normally say get a Mini to keep her quiet but she doesn't like it!

I think it's a case of the number on the registration plate rather than the badge which portrays her image, given the list of the cars she likes...

I don't think the number plate is much of an issue as she's pointed out quite old cars that she likes (e.g. the mazda 3 was referring mainly to the old one), more that if we change the Volvo she would like something more feminine. I can't say I have ever seen a woman driving an S60 other than my fiancee, let alone a 36 year old woman!

Man of Honour
She also has a decent job so image wise parking the Volvo in the car park each day isn't a great look.

The sort of cars she likes is the Seat Leon / Mazda 3 / Ford Fiesta / Skoda Octavia / Quashqai.

I'm struggling to understand the sort of job where parking a tidy Volvo S60 in the carpark gives off a negative image, but some sort of generic Seat Leon or a Ford Fiesta gives off a good image :confused:

It can surely only be a numberplate thing, given a '54 plate S60 looks more or less the same as a '59 S60.

Back
Top Bottom