BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
I'm guessing a 110k 318 with fsh would be okay as its been looked after? I just assumed valves etc etc get worn etc at higher mileage? I guess I'm just scared of going with a car with high mileage as my car is low?

Generally, yes, 110k should be fine.
As an example, I bought my first 318i (e36) @ 125k and sold it @175k all it needed in that time was a back box and servicing, it never even had a clutch replacement!
It had some valve work done @90k, long before I bought it.

I know of an S plate 318i e46 with 310k on the clock and bar a lot of stone chips on the bonnet, it looks and drives fine.
The guy who owns it paid £350 for it, trick was buying it from its first owner who'd clicked the miles up using it as a company car, retired and kept it , and always took it to BMW for servicing!!
Such gems are rare, but out there.

Buy on condition, not age nor miles IMO.

Man of Honour
I'd sell you my car if I knew I could go out the next day and find a bigger engined version in the same condition that wasn't silly money as it sounds like you're looking for something like mine to the T :o

Soldato
Do the later 318i's have common problem with the Valvetronic system? Or is that one of those things that get's overblown on the internet? Been tempted to get the old dear a facelift 318ci in the summer.

Man of Honour
Do the later 318i's have common problem with the Valvetronic system? Or is that one of those things that get's overblown on the internet? Been tempted to get the old dear a facelift 318ci in the summer.

I suppose if oil changes aren't done on time then it would/could lead to deeper problems like that. My car was bought at 42k miles and is now on 103k. In that time the only engine problem has been coil pack failure but that's a fairly common thing on an E46 anyway. Idle/Aux tensioner/pulleys are another and are cheap fixes. If a garage doesn't do up the oil filter cap and o-ring properly then you will get small dribbles around it, that's another thing too oh and not forgetting the vacuum pump which can sometimes leak but you can DIY fix that with new O-rings saving the lower side of triple figures to replace the whole pump!

It's been a hugely reliable engine otherwise :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I pulled it out of a hat I guess. It's my second car, which is only at 50k. Educate me fox? I'm guessing a 110k 318 with fsh would be okay as its been looked after? I just assumed valves etc etc get worn etc at higher mileage? I guess I'm just scared of going with a car with high mileage as my car is low?

You don't seem worried about buying a 10-15 year old car though which is in my opinion a far greater issue for a car.

Soldato

That new M235i looks amazing, especially that white one in the vid with the M Performance goodies (5:50)

So very, very tempted to change only I'll let my head win the head/heart battle here because it would be insane to spend in the region of 10k getting pretty much the same car in coupe form. I have no doubt it'll drive much better but the character of the engine will be the same.

Soldato

That new M235i looks amazing, especially that white one in the vid with the M Performance goodies (5:50)

So very, very tempted to change only I'll let my head win the head/heart battle here because it would be insane to spend in the region of 10k getting pretty much the same car in coupe form. I have no doubt it'll drive much better but the character of the engine will be the same.

I like it apart from the stupid-ass silly grin the front appears to have.

Soldato
I don't see it.

I'll be the first to admit the front of my car looks a bit odd from certain angles and I wish they'd designed the headlights differently, but in my eyes that M235i looks the business. It's a much more desirable looking car.

Man of Honour
Such a silly side profile and those wheels don't suit it at all on the 235. Not even going to start talking about the rear.

"better looking car than the last one" - Yes, one ugly dog to another :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't see it.

It's the same for most recent BMWs for me tbh.

rwwg.jpg

8zrq.jpg

Soldato
We will have to agree to disagree :D

That looks fine to me. I'm sure it'll have much more of a presence in the flesh. The M6 looks incredible in the flesh compared to photos. Even the M135i looks better in the flesh.

Soldato
What was your lease deal like?

I've been popping in and out of the pistonheads forum for the last month now just reading through the m135I threads.

M135i
3dr - Auto
Estoril Blue with Dakota Red Leather (Brushed Alu trim with black highlights)
Base spec car with no options

6+23month deal (first month is x6 monthly payments)
£293pcm. (inc VAT)
10k/yr mileage allowance
RFL included for both years and first service is at 20k (after handing back)
Insurance for me is £250 :D

Not as good at the £210 +VAT original deal, but but it's only £40pcm more. Putting options on meant I had to pay for them fully over the 2yr duration, so I left them all off as only a few I wanted put the cost up to £461pcm :eek: I don't need NAV, a fancy stereo, heated seat or parking sensors/cruise anyway, so no loss to me.

Plus I don't have to worry about resale so can enjoy the Red Leather/Blue combo, there will be no tax or servicing over the lease period and insuring this as a my main car and the Integra on a classic policy will actually be cheaper than running the Integra as my main and only car.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Almost 10k over 2 years, not seeing the deal there. It's not bad for what you get but it's not the astonishing no brainer people seem to think. It's still an expensive way to own a car which is what you would expect for a brand new 300bhp car. You can buy them new for circa 26k and I reckon you would easily get good money in 2 years time, so likely cheaper tco than renting one.

Back
Top Bottom