BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
What about the intervening three weeks that I need a car for work? My car had a gaping hole in the water pump, so was not driveable.

It was three weeks (or more) of hire car costs and a free repair, (£25 per day for something bargain basement - cost £500), or pay c. £350 to get it done myself the following day, squeezed in down he local garage.

Did you not contact Skoda direct and ask them to arrange for a car? BMW assist when a car is off the road due to warranty work and no car is available from the dealer direct will arrange for a hire car in the interim period.

Soldato
Did you not contact Skoda direct and ask them to arrange for a car? BMW assist when a car is off the road due to warranty work and no car is available from the dealer direct will arrange for a hire car in the interim period.

Yep, I got a flat "no, sorry". My car was over the two year "full factory warranty" category, and only in the more basic "up to three years old" warranty category... Or something. I seem to remember being very cross at the time!

Soldato
What about the intervening three weeks that I need a car for work? My car had a gaping hole in the water pump, so was not driveable.

It was three weeks (or more) of hire car costs and a free repair, (£25 per day for something bargain basement - cost £500), or pay c. £350 to get it done myself the following day, squeezed in down he local garage.

You said the wait was for the courtesy car? Changing a water pump does not take 3 weeks. Even the semi-trained monkeys that work at main dealers. It's a day or two worth of work, tops. So a day or two of hire car. Not 3 weeks. It's not like you would have needed the hire car until they get you the courtesy car, only for them to do the actual job.

Or am I missing something / you not telling something? Doesn't make sense is all.

Soldato
You said the wait was for the courtesy car? Changing a water pump does not take 3 weeks. Even the semi-trained monkeys that work at main dealers. It's a day or two worth of work, tops. So a day or two of hire car. Not 3 weeks. It's not like you would have needed the hire car until they get you the courtesy car, only for them to do the actual job.

I don't understand?

They need the car for a whole day to do the work. I can't get to work without a car, and can't take any time off. Therefore I need to book the car into the garage on a day when there is a courtesy car available - earliest such date was 3+ weeks away...

The earliest date they could fit me in for the work (with no courtesy car) was only a few days sooner - still a two and a half week wait or more.

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Still around buddy, just very busy at work so don't have as much time to post during the day. Also have to split my time between here and e90post :)

Have you upgraded to a 335i yet?!

Cool cool :) Not yet lol, things are all up in the air with what I'm doing work wise, so changing car is taking a slight back seat for the time being :)

Soldato
I don't understand?

They need the car for a whole day to do the work. I can't get to work without a car, and can't take any time off. Therefore I need to book the car into the garage on a day when there is a courtesy car available - earliest such date was 3+ weeks away...

The earliest date they could fit me in for the work (with no courtesy car) was only a few days sooner - still a two and a half week wait or more.

You never said that though. You said that you were only waiting on a courtesy car, not that they couldn't fit you in until 2 1/2 weeks later to do the actual work.

My point was that, as you say, the work only takes a day, so that would only be a day or so of hire car, since I asked if the courtesy car was all they were waiting on and you said yes.

So I guess you went outwith the network then to get it fixed, since you went out of warranty?

nas

nas

Associate
Hi all,

I'm currently on the hunt for a e92 coupe, to cut a long story short, I've found 2 both priced pretty much the same, same year, engine, trim etc (give or take a few ££).

Which would be the better option?

1) no drive, low mileage (sub 50k)
2) idrive, high mileage (70k+)

Went for option 1.

I now plan to purchase the comprehensive insured warranty; is it simple case of just purchasing it online?

Ive read that the vehicle has to sit in line with the servicing schedule but is it not BMW who have to assess this?

Apart from service stamps how do I know my car completely satisfies the criteria?

Caporegime
I think it's a common misconception that the M54 actually drinks a lot of oil. From my experience it's more that they have several common faults which cause slow oil leakage such as rocker cover gasket and oil filter housing to name a couple.

They seem to use noticeably more than others (such as the M52, I've had 3 M52's all of which barely touched it, even a >270k mile example) my X plate 325i M54 seems to be following the trend now, it's been using a litre every 2500miles or so recently, checked it yesterday, 1k miles after the last check and there was nothing on the dipstick at all! :eek:

No sign of leaks anywhere, not noticably showing any blue smoke, it's only done 98k miles too.

Soldato
Just sold my 335i. Sad day but one of those things I guess. Got £11k for her in the end, which I'm not sureif it was pitched too low or what because I had so many enquiries and requests to view from genuine people.

Man of Honour
It's really bizarre how well everything seems to be holding its value these days. 11k for an 8 year old 3 Series seems bonkers but has probably meant your total ownership cost over 3 years is very low.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Just sold my 335i. Sad day but one of those things I guess. Got £11k for her in the end, which I'm not sureif it was pitched too low or what because I had so many enquiries and requests to view from genuine people.
What forced the sale, if I may ask?

Soldato
Indeed, the running costs were quite high but probably offset by the good value it held.

Sold it because I'm not rich enough to have that kind of money tied up in a car when I have just bought a house. Painful to do as it was awesome and in fantastic condition, but one of those things in life we have to do. Also relishing not having to take the car to the dealers again! Too far away!

Soldato
Ace Cafe: BMW Day

Went for my first proper outing in the 1 series yesterday. First stope. Ace Cafe!

DSCF1468_zps5d7d95fc.jpg

DSCF1469_zps85cca9a2.jpg

DSCF1467_zpsae1cbf68.jpg

DSCF1466_zpsedc067eb.jpg

DSCF1464_zps3dc9bd41.jpg

DSCF1465_zps462d[IMG]4840.jpg

DSCF1463_zps2f883e66.jpg

DSCF1461_zpsb840f3d9.jpg

DSCF1462_zps607dc6eb.jpg

DSCF1460_zps6b83da3e.jpg

DSCF1458_zps688bf306.jpg

DSCF1459_zps066bbd14.jpg

DSCF1456_zps0d9a5bbf.jpg

DSCF1457_zpscf585e71.jpg

DSCF1454_zps2aa8da0f.jpg

f488efed-2a38-4539-8b83-d29b05dfe4bd_zps0f2512e1.jpg

After that it was suggested a take a road trip to Stonehenge. During the drive I spotted signs to the Thruxton Race Circuit!

IMAG0539_zps0f2ae19f.jpg

IMAG0538_zps8de5dc14.jpg

DSCF1472_zpse3b708e2.jpg

DSCF1473_zps092914cd.jpg

DSCF1471_zpsd373e11d.jpg

DSCF1470_zps3cbaafe4.jpg

Soldato
I like what you done there.

Not entirely sure of the full story. Word is that it's a charity related idea. The driver just strolled in and invited people to start writing on the car :/

Back
Top Bottom