• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Caporegime
It might be that the cooler is from an older card.

Asus did this with the 290/X, they used the DC II cooler from the GTX 780 and bolted it straight to Hawaii, the 780 (GK110) is much bigger than Hawaii (552mm2^ vs 438mm2^) so the outer two of its four heat pipes didn't make contact with the die, result: overheating.

Indeed, looks like EVGA cheaped out and hoped it wouldn't be noticed.

OcUK Staff
Guys

Palit just arrived, checked the basic one and Jetstream, both use Samsung memory. :)

The Jetstream looks ace with its black/gold colouring. :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
RRP for USA stock makes our UK prices look like a rip off. I was at first thinking "Oh no did I buy the 290X Tri-X too early and should have waited for the 980?" as everyone was going on about new lower nVidia prices being "about time" but then saw the price of the 980 and calmed down and grinned slightly.

Think I made the right choice :p

Probably for the best. Between the coil whine and this potential defect, the EVGA is off the shortlist. Wonder if they will recall them?

Are you referring to the 970 or 980? Or both? Because that's a real shame if so because I was going to per-order the evga 980 sc but the fear of coil whine puts me off, can't stand it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apart from it looking wrong is the an actual issue? I wouldn't have thought using an over-specified cooler should cause problems.

At the end of the day the card has three heatpipes two of which are more important than the third and that's the one not making contact, as this cooler was designed for 200-250 tdp cards a 165 tdp card making 80% contact shouldn't cause an issue in practice I would ave thought.

Associate
Apart from it looking wrong is the an actual issue? I wouldn't have thought using an over-specified cooler should cause problems.

At the end of the day the card has three heatpipes two of which are more important than the third and that's the one not making contact, as this cooler was designed for 200-250 tdp cards a 165 tdp card making 80% contact shouldn't cause an issue in practice I would ave thought.

I see where you are coming from - most likely won't be an issue. It's just shoddy work though, you pay the premium for EVGA expecting it to be spot on.

Back
Top Bottom