Banksy Arrested

Soldato
It's still vandalism. If the owner didn't ask for it or want it, and it damages (or alters) the original structure either materially or, in this case, visually, it constitutes vandalism regardless of whether it is any good or not or is worth money or whether people think it enhances the structure or whatever.

It's not.

If you, guerrilla-style, replace and upgrade the glazing on a public library, then would that be vandalism? It, in fact, would not. That's not to say something "wrong" wasn't done, but that "wrong" wouldn't be vandalism.

Permabanned
It's not.

If you, guerrilla-style, replace and upgrade the glazing on a public library, then would that be vandalism? It, in fact, would not. That's not to say something "wrong" wasn't done, but that "wrong" wouldn't be vandalism.

I'm afraid the law disagrees with you and as it is a legal term I would take the law over your opinion in this instance.

Graffitti is always vandalism, it is committed without permission on another's property and 'damages' the original facade of the building, whether you or I think it is artistically enhancing to the property or not is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm afraid the law disagrees with you and as it is a legal term I would take the law over your opinion in this instance.

This law?
any person who, without reasonable excuse, wilfully or recklessly destroys or damages any property belonging to another shall be guilty of the offence of vandalism.

We're back to "destroy" and "damage" again.

Permabanned
This law?
any person who, without reasonable excuse, wilfully or recklessly destroys or damages any property belonging to another shall be guilty of the offence of vandalism.

We're back to "destroy" and "damage" again.

Which proves exactly what I've said. Graffitti, whether artistically good or bad damages the original facade of the building without permission of the owners. Whether you think that 'damage' makes it look better or not is irrelevant.

Soldato
Would you really complain if Banksy done a piece on your property? (Not that he's ever gratified a house before), however I bet you're property would be worth more.

This whole 'he's a vandal to society, lock him up', is he really causing that much disruption by actually using graffiti in a interesting way? Lock up the chavs, but Banksy can stay.

Permabanned
Would you really complain if Banksy done a piece on your property? (Not that he's ever gratified a house before), however I bet you're property would be worth more.

This whole 'he's a vandal to society, lock him up', is he really causing that much disruption by actually using graffiti in a interesting way? Lock up the chavs, but Banksy can stay.

I would not want Banksy, or anyone for that matter to paint my house without my express permission.

And I'm not saying what he does is morally wrong or that he should be vilified for it or that it isn't any good (quite the contrary as I've defended his positions in other threads) my only position in this thread is to say that graffitti is defined as vandalism in law, whether it's any good or not doesn't change that.

Soldato
But we've already seen that "damage" requires some impairment. If the graffiti enhances, then it has not caused an impairment.

I wouldn't extend this to all graffiti, or even all good graffiti, but when it's a Banksy, you're getting an actual piece with a value. As I said, most (or at least "many") councils would welcome it, so it would be tough to argue it as "vandalism"

Associate
hmmm, opinions on the matter differ in this thread :p

Anyone else surprised by this? Because I'm definitely not....

Now people telling other people what their opinions should be, that's just fantastic

popcorn.gif

Permabanned
But we've already seen that "damage" requires some impairment. If the graffiti enhances, then it has not caused an impairment.

I wouldn't extend this to all graffiti, or even all good graffiti, but when it's a Banksy, you're getting an actual piece with a value. As I said, most (or at least "many") councils would welcome it, so it would be tough to argue it as "vandalism"

What may seem an enhancement to you is an impairment to others. If it alters the original facade without the express permission of the owners it 'damages' or impairs the original look of that facade....If it is done without permission of the owners and if they make a complaint it makes it an illegal act of vandalism. Graffiti is legally defined as Criminal Damage under the 1971 Act of the same name and under the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003, as well as the Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Act 2005.

It's not tough to argue that graffiti is vandalism as it is defined as such in law, both legislatively and through case law.

Last edited:
Associate
I would not want Banksy, or anyone for that matter to paint my house without my express permission.

And I'm not saying what he does is morally wrong or that he should be vilified for it or that it isn't any good (quite the contrary as I've defended his positions in other threads) my only position in this thread is to say that graffitti is defined as vandalism in law, whether it's any good or not doesn't change that.

Absolutely.

To repeat what Castiel has said again.... he's doing this without permission, it is illegal and if/when he is caught that's exactly how it will go.

Soldato
What may seem an enhancement to you is an impairment to others. If it alters the original facade without the express permission of the owners it 'damages' or impairs the original look of that facade....If it is done without permission of the owners and if they make a complaint it makes it an illegal act of vandalism.

It's not tough to argue that graffiti is vandalism as it is defined as such in law, both legislatively and through case law.

Yes, but my point is that Councils will often welcome a new Banksy. In Bristol, the leader of the city council was to be found using a toothbrush to clean blue paint off of a Banksy which had itself (ironically?) been vandalised. Even Clacton, which painted over its banksy, had councillors saying they would welcome another "more appropriate" installation from the artist.

It's simply not the case that graffiti is vandalism. It may be, it may mostly be, but it is not absolute, and Banksy's work is rarely.

Permabanned
Yes, but my point is that Councils will often welcome a new Banksy. In Bristol, the leader of the city council was to be found using a toothbrush to clean blue paint off of a Banksy which had itself (ironically?) been vandalised. Even Clacton, which painted over its banksy, had councillors saying they would welcome another "more appropriate" installation from the artist.

It's simply not the case that graffiti is vandalism. It may be, it may mostly be, but it is not absolute, and Banksy's work is rarely.

Unfortunately as the Clacton Council example shows, graffiti is illegal (they mention the term appropriate). Graffiti is vandalism, whether Banksy's art is always Graffiti or Street Art is something else.

Soldato
It's not vandalism, it's not a crime it's at worst an unwanted gift a rather high value gift at that, people need to lighten up it's jobsworths a crime is a crime non thinkers that will be the death of this country.

Soldato
How about a compromise.

All art is vandalism. Whether it's hacking raw stone into a new shape or covering an otherwise inoffensive canvas or wall with paint. Given that all art is vandalism, and so all artists are vandals, it follows immediately that all artists should be arrested.

Thus everyone wins (possibly excluding artists and those blessed with sight)

Soldato
Unfortunately as the Clacton Council example shows, graffiti is illegal (they mention the term appropriate). Graffiti is vandalism, whether Banksy's art is always Graffiti or Street Art is something else.

Well, if you're separating "street art" as distinct from "graffiti", then we may come closer to agreement. Graffiti excluding "street art" would mostly be vandalism, I suspect.

Back
Top Bottom