** OSX Yosemite **

Soldato
Really like the complete overhaul on OS X theme. After upgrading my girlfriends MBP she would like to remove the grey background from the Dock had a quick look at it seems you cannot do this, is this possible or do you think it will become an option in further tweaks?

Soldato
Is disabling ktext security to install Trim Enabler a bad thing?

I want to bite the bullet and format / install Yosemite, but first I want purge the SSD. I've read before that Crucial's Garbage Collector will be enough to keep the SSD running efficiently but I lean towards the thought that both helped each other in a sense that TRIM helps inform GC about cell deletion?

Any thoughts?

Associate
Re installing Yosemite has fixed all my issues, except MplayerX which is just useless now.

Just an FYI. If you are having problems with MplayerX in Yosemite, go to the developer website and download the latest version. MplayerX is no longer available/supported in the app store apparently. The latest version fixed all of the issues for me. ;)

Soldato
Just an FYI. If you are having problems with MplayerX in Yosemite, go to the developer website and download the latest version. MplayerX is no longer available/supported in the app store apparently. The latest version fixed all of the issues for me. ;)

Thanks, assumed this as it didn't updated. Thanks :D. Sandboxing is a bitch, I think the main issue is Apple don't Sandbox their own apps so might not understand some of the complications that developers might face.

Associate
Well what a faff installing yosemite has been for me! I read a bit more about failed installations and a few suggested that yosemite doesn't like 3rd party memory (true?) so claimed swapping the ram back to the original that came with the macbook solves the issue. It did not work on first try but installed perfectly the second time, coincidence or not I'm just happy it's finally all done :p Swapped ram back and so far no issues :)

Just a heads up if anyone else manages to struggle getting it installed :)

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Noticing very few changes in actual use on a 2011 air. I keep getting a notification at random to install java and I don't know from where it is coming.

Dark theme which I thought I'd love is actually not that nice, upsettingly.

Associate
Prefer the dark theme.
The navigation is not really noticeable or does it clash with the apps on bigger screen like iMac. However on my rMBP it is considerably more noticeable as it clashes with the browser bar, but still ok.

Last edited:

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Right? If it was at least the shade of sub menus instead of just hell pit black without any font smoothing or third party icons recovery/negative.

Exactly... the menus look nice... what the hell is the deal with zero font smoothing? Such an obvious oversight.

Soldato
I formatted and fresh installed Yoesmite last night and most of the problems went away.

However, now I can't installed Pro tools. I know it works with Yosemite because it worked before (except it was installed under Mavericks) but it won't let me install it because it says it's incompatible.

Are there any workarounds like Windows Compatibility mode just to get it installed or am I going to have to run it in bootcamp (which I really really don't want to do as it runs much better in OSX).

The problem is, as I understand it is there is now no way of rolling back to Mavericks to install it (because I went through a fresh install).

Associate
I formatted and fresh installed Yoesmite last night and most of the problems went away.

However, now I can't installed Pro tools. I know it works with Yosemite because it worked before (except it was installed under Mavericks) but it won't let me install it because it says it's incompatible.

Are there any workarounds like Windows Compatibility mode just to get it installed or am I going to have to run it in bootcamp (which I really really don't want to do as it runs much better in OSX).

The problem is, as I understand it is there is now no way of rolling back to Mavericks to install it (because I went through a fresh install).
How olds your mac? does it have internet recovery?
I can roll back to mavericks by doing internet recovery.

Soldato
For those with slightly older Mac models that can't use the Continuity features in Yosemite. MacRumors Forum Members have managed to hack it and created a tool to get it to run on certain models without the need for any hardware upgrades....however other older mac models would require an upgraded Bluetooth/WiFi module.

Information is here:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/23/continuity-activation-tool/

MacRumors Forum Thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=20124161

Good luck to anyone brave enough to try it.

Back
Top Bottom