Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Don
A friend of a friend mentioned that they are taking some kind of heli/quad copter with them skiing in a few weeks. It tracks them via GPS while filming from the air via a GoPro.

Is that kind of thing available?!?

Nothing I'm aware of can do this yet. There are some quads in the works that can track a person or object. Not available yet though.

He's probably saying that he will fly the quad and film himself. It needs someone to be controlling it though. Probably a Phantom or Phantom 2.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yes, it's great for £25. I prefer the Syma X4 that's the same price. It's easier to fly and more stable.

Yeah. It does not look visually as appealing but I can see it lasting longer and as you said easier to fly and more stable.

How long is the battery life like on these? 5-6 minutes as I understand.

Many thanks Rilot :)

Soldato
A friend of a friend mentioned that they are taking some kind of heli/quad copter with them skiing in a few weeks. It tracks them via GPS while filming from the air via a GoPro.

Is that kind of thing available?!?

The APM Flight Controller can do this but it follows you via Bluetooth or a radio link to your smartphone/laptop/tablet not through the GPS, the GPS is used for making waypoints and return to take-off etc.

If you YouTube 'APM Follow me', you can see various videos that show how good and how bad it can be -it is more of an interesting feature than an an actual 'usable' feature, although it can work quite well when all set up properly.

Don
I didn't know that APM could do that doofer. Thanks for the heads up. I have an APM kicking around that I've not used for ages. I might rig it up and see if I can get it working on my beater.

Soldato
Thought it sounded too good to be true.

These things look really cool, will have a look through the thread for a basic start up. Would love to build one myself, I need a new hobby! Already have GoPro 3 so that would be one expense sorted :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just ordered the Hubsan X4 H107c - the one with the camera, plus some extra batteries, protection ring and crash kit. I'll only get it on the 26th though when I go back to the UK for Christmas and I can't wait!

Associate
Went for a flight at the weekend, been a while since I have taken it out. Combination of not having much time and I got a bit narked off with my FPV giving me poor range

Changed the channel I was using and range seems to be much better now, shame that I got smothered in fog before being able to get too brave with it

Looking forward to flying at the weekend and seeing what sort of range I can get

Associate
Soldato
Had another mess about with the Naze32 settings, enabled 'auto leveling in flight' and after a hover indoors it seems more stable. Going to charge the batteries and give the Thorax a proper flight tomorrow (hopefully). Weather forecast seems ok.

Only thing wrong is that my batteries are 1000mah so Im not expecting a long flight :)

Soldato
Cheapest place to get a naze32 with quick delivery?

I'm sure my kk2.1.5 is dying, It has self leveling issues and the last flight it was really strange. It flew like it was driving down a bumpy road and I'm sure I read something about it and it was called cobble stoning or something.

Soldato
Hey All,

I recently got a Hubsan Q4 for a bit of fun and now i think i'm hooked, lol. The Q4 is nice but it's tiny and I'd like something bigger and play with before looked at making my own Quadcopter, any recommendations?

Also anyone seen this on kickstater? Seems to good to be true for the price. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/torquing/zano-autonomous-intelligent-swarming-nano-drone/posts

J.

The Q4 is great fun, mine has been seeing more action than my L and C X4s. TBH the jump between toy grade and hobby grade is so huge... I'd be tempted to suggest jumping in at the deep end and building your own :D

Failing that the likes of the WL Toys V222 is a bit certainly bigger and can be had for £45 RTF from Banggood, if you don't mind a wait.

Back
Top Bottom