Poll: General election voting round 4

Voting intentions in the General Election?

• Alliance Party of Northern Ireland

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Conservative

Votes: 276 39.5%
  • Democratic Unionist Party

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Green Party

Votes: 41 5.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 125 17.9%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 50 7.2%
  • Not voting/will spoil ballot

Votes: 33 4.7%
  • Other party (not named)

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Respect Party

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 31 4.4%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • UKIP

Votes: 128 18.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yes, how dare these people in Scotland want some say in running the country.

It has nothing to do with Scottish people wanting a say. No one is complaining about Scotland having a say, but rather what they saying. Why would anyone who believes in the idea of the UK want to see SNP gaining influence?

Although that is actually a little unfair because only a minority (~40%) seem to be backing the SNP in the polls. The majority are supporting Unionists.

Soldato
The spending per head in England is disgraceful, to the point I have lost all interest in the plight of Scotland , Wales or anywhere else.

" Scotland got £10,152 per head and Wales, despite being much poorer, got £9,709. England received £8,529. "

The tuition fees argument in Scotland really does wind me up. Free prescriptions in Wales also.

Only UKIP and the Conservatives have mentioned this being a problem, even though by tradition I have been a Labour man.

Job creation has actually soared in my region in the midlands, and also has taken an upturn for the better where i'm from in the south.

The 5% house buying scheme got me and my family on to the market last year and the tax changes have helped us out no end.

The promise of 30 hours free childcare a week will make a huge difference to everyone who has to get off their hide in the morning.

I will be voting Conservative at the next election.

I don't personally identify with any of the members of the party, but my family's actual lifestyle has improved over the past few years and mainly due to small changes on their part.

I'm not happy with how they run the NHS, but having worked in it for 5 years, I can see the wastage that goes on and the silly number of middle management who are seriously useless and ineffective.

We need to be bolder.

Soldato
It has nothing to do with Scottish people wanting a say. No one is complaining about Scotland having a say, but rather what they saying. Why would anyone who believes in the idea of the UK want to see SNP gaining influence?

Although that is actually a little unfair because only a minority (~40%) seem to be backing the SNP in the polls. The majority are supporting Unionists.

You are objecting to their policies? Or do you think the SNP is incapable of separating the idea of working in Westminster with their raison d'etre of eventually trying to gain independence.

Soldato
The spending per head in England is disgraceful, to the point I have lost all interest in the plight of Scotland , Wales or anywhere else.

" Scotland got £10,152 per head and Wales, despite being much poorer, got £9,709. England received £8,529. "

Scotland have 9% of the population and about 30% of the land area - how on earth do you provide services the population over that distance for the same cost? Please explain as it's CONSTANTLY thrown at Scots without anyone considering of the enormous benefit of having all that land, sea and air territory.

Additionally you've lumped in the lowest figure for anywhere in England against the average figure for Scotland, why not compare like for like - why not include Norther Ireland which gets on average £10,876 ? Or would that simply detract from Scot-bashing which is the hobby of UKIP and increasing the Tories?

The tuition fees argument in Scotland really does wind me up. Free prescriptions in Wales also.

Prescriptions in Scotland are free because the cost of charging for them versus the cost of making them free was small especially when you consider they were facing a bill for upgrading systems/infrastructure to support charging at the time too. 60%+ of people in England are eligibility for free prescriptions, at least back in 2009. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/tom-scholesfogg/should-england-follow-wal_b_4162086.html

Tuition fees - I'll be honest I think it's unfair, but I also think it's unfair in England too.

Soldato
Well separate governments and constant requests about more devolution has split the UK.

If we are one, why should Scotland get free parking and tuition fees and the others not. Not surprised it's us vs them.

Westminster runs the UK for the south and south east. As Eddie George, of the Bank of England famously put it "Yes, but it is a price worth paying for the whole of the UK".

This may be OK for the south but it is viewed differently in the North of England, Wales and Scotland. The North cannot do much about it but Wales and Scotland can and naturally they will push for as much as they can. So much so obvious.

As for the free parking rubbish this was gone over in another thread and exploded as a myth in most cases. Tuition fees were a matter for how the respective Govts spent their money, Edinburgh decided to spend more on health and education. There was nothing to stop Westminster from doing the same for English students.

The problem has been the massive expansion in university places and graduates which are not needed for the type of economy our parties have signed up for. I actually think that they came to realise this ages ago and are trying to use financial pressure to limit the numbers going to university but that is my guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem is Scotland will be left up a creek with SNP. Scotland don't need that. The grass isn't greener, you will be still sat on the same patch just a bit more lonely. Scotland get huge say already.

You, like most of the media based down south aren't grasping that the SNP have shown themselves to be decent in government up in Holyrood and they want to prove they can send MPs to Westminster and act responsibly. They keep saying that but nobody can get past their bias to see it.

If they prove they can be responsible down in Westminster they boost the prospects for themselves up here, people are still fixated on a possible referendum - they've repeatedly said this election has nothing to do with that and they are not seeking a mandate to hold another one, additionally they've only ever tried to hold a referendum when they went into an election asking for a mandate.

In short I think they're looking to show they can work with the other parties, something which we're constantly told they can't do, just as we in Scotland were told that the SNP could never, ever run a competent government at Holyrood.

I'm a floating voter, I have absolutely no loyalty to any particular party but right now looking at them and living in Scotland I can't see why I'd vote labour again, a vote for tories is simply pointless so for me personally it's between the lib dems and the SNP.. that's really not much of a competition.

Soldato
We had 13 years of scots running the country, its not like they don't have a say.

One or two scots reached senior positions in one Govt over the last 300 years and you imply some sort of takeover. Are you saying they ignored their cabinet colleagues and run the country. As Blair may have been Scottish by birth but had moved away decades ago he hardly counted as a Scot. At any one time there was only two in the cabinet in any senior position so they hardly ran the country.

Soldato
The problem is Scotland will be left up a creek with SNP. Scotland don't need that. The grass isn't greener, you will be still sat on the same patch just a bit more lonely. Scotland get huge say already.

Huge say? 65 or thereabout MPs of ALL parties out of the 600+ in Westminster.

Soldato
Scotland have 9% of the population and about 30% of the land area - how on earth do you provide services the population over that distance for the same cost? Please explain as it's CONSTANTLY thrown at Scots without anyone considering of the enormous benefit of having all that land, sea and air territory.

Additionally you've lumped in the lowest figure for anywhere in England against the average figure for Scotland, why not compare like for like - why not include Norther Ireland which gets on average £10,876 ? Or would that simply detract from Scot-bashing which is the hobby of UKIP and increasing the Tories?

Prescriptions in Scotland are free because the cost of charging for them versus the cost of making them free was small especially when you consider they were facing a bill for upgrading systems/infrastructure to support charging at the time too. 60%+ of people in England are eligibility for free prescriptions, at least back in 2009. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/tom-scholesfogg/should-england-follow-wal_b_4162086.html

Tuition fees - I'll be honest I think it's unfair, but I also think it's unfair in England too.

I'm not Scot bashing. I think Scotland has it right and wanted them to get independence if I am being honest. I want them out of the equation completely. Take on their own currency, be responsible for their own land. Good luck. But that is that... complete cut off.

You are right about Northern Ireland in that sense, but they have a very different economy and political climate due to the fact their southern neighbours are busy trying to make the Euro work for them still.

What I am not happy with is the fact England does not get to dictate it's own terms. What is good for England. If an England National Party was setup, can you imagine the outrage.

The only way that will ever happen, is if Scotland was to obtain it's own independence.

We are either as one, or not. You cannot enforce separate national policy on two different parts of the COUNTRY and not expect backlash.

All laws, all policies need to be throughout the whole of the UK or not at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thing is England had national parties, they always have had them, but the electorate don't hold them to promises. UKIP could be good long term, but as with the others they gave aspirations as a U.K. wide party. IMHO they are missing a trick by no clearly stating they are an English one.

Soldato
Thing is England had national parties, they always have had them, but the electorate don't hold them to promises. UKIP could be good long term, but as with the others they gave aspirations as a U.K. wide party. IMHO they are missing a trick by no clearly stating they are an English one.

Soldato
Scotland's future as an independent country and part of the EU is not good in the long term - by which I mean 40+ years. Scotland is better off as part of the UK.

Soldato
Huge say? 65 or thereabout MPs of ALL parties out of the 600+ in Westminster.

They have a devolved parliament with their own laws and they can vote on their own and the rest of UK policies. Scotland just had a referendum. There is an epic amount that Scotland influences and benefits from the UK.

SNP will seek another referendum.

Soldato

UKIP have been pretty vocal about being an English party tbh. The name more represents their EU efforts which actually won them that angle.

The sad part is, they don't know how to run an economy and they are so desperate for attention they waffle on about mentalist issues.

People need a plan to buy into, not a state of mind.

Soldato
Scotland's future as an independent country and part of the EU is not good in the long term - by which I mean 40+ years. Scotland is better off as part of the UK.

Let them have a referendum if they want it.

But it has to be clear.

No bail outs, no sterling currency and no comebacks. It's a one way street.

But oddly, the SNP wouldn't agree to those conditions. That is why they lost the last vote.

Caporegime
The referendum is old news people, i voted no intrinsically to vote for the SNP next month, should also note that extrinsically i was rightly afraid of what was going on in Ukraine and independence was a danger to me.

I shall be invalidating a labour voter in Glasgow Central no less, my vote will likely be pointless, as is literally the majority of votes across the country, but labour run Scottish councils (going by Aberdeen's wonderful administration...) can kindly disappear.

Don't care about English councils obviously, as it might be a different story.

Funnily enough, with the EU's declaration on Immigration recently (finally), this crap about leaving the EU will hopefully disappear, and real issues like Science funding and Education can actually be discussed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom