• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Growth is exactly what you need to recover from a recession. As GDP rises the debt falls as a % of GDP. And i don't know if you had noticed, but the tories are still borrowing billions upon billions because we're still running a deficit. Because that's how national economics works. The tories wouldn't have been any different if they had been in power during the crash.

The deficit we're running is substantially reduced though, because it'd be economic suicide to try and produce a budget that eliminated the entire deficit within 5 years.

The point is, labelling austerity a failure because it doesn't promote growth is somewhat disingenuous as that wasn't it's only aim, it's supposed to cut the deficit without completely collapsing the economy so it can then be properly redeveloped with real growth, not just ever increasing public borrowing to falsely prop it up but destroy it in the long term. We couldn't carry on running a £100b deficit like we did in 2009

Soldato
Hs2 won't happen in our lifetimes most probably. Get over it. But it needs doing, and it needs starting now. **** it, it needs to be hs4 really. If people had the dull mentality of all the naysayers about hs2, there wouldn't be any trains, or roads, or fire.

Associate
A sample of 22,000 doesn't give me much faith in it's accuracy so I won't be holding my breath based on the exit polls.

Had an interesting debate on the voting age today with my stepson, we are of differing political opinions and he wasn't best pleased when I suggested he and the majority of people his age (19) aren't really qualified to vote.

"But I've studied politics for three years, I know more about politics than you do"

"Politics isn't some thing you learn from a text book or a documentary, it's something you experience, do you imagine you could learn to drive from a text book without any practical lessons ? no you couldn't and so it is with politics, the only thing you've learned over the past three years is how to be a politician"

Without creating a new thread is there anyone else who feels we need to address the age at which people can vote ?

Caporegime
IF Houghton and Sunderland South is in anyway Representative then ti would show the exit polls wildly wrong, UKIP doing far better than any poll expected, and the Tories getting destroyed.
But it is one seat so fairly meaningless in itself.

Soldato
Hs2 won't happen in our lifetimes most probably. Get over it. But it needs doing, and it needs starting now. If people had the dull mentality of all the naysayers about hs2, there wouldn't be any trains, or roads, or fire.

The ones who think HS2 is a good idea are the ones that need a wake up call. What's it going to cost now? £42bn? I sure as hell am not funding it.

Soldato
A sample of 22,000 doesn't give me much faith in it's accuracy so I won't be holding my breath based on the exit polls.

Had an interesting debate on the voting age today with my stepson, we are of differing political opinions and he wasn't best pleased when I suggested he and the majority of people his age (19) aren't really qualified to vote.

"But I've studied politics for three years, I know more about politics than you do"

"Politics isn't some thing you learn from a text book or a documentary, it's something you experience, do you imagine you could learn to drive from a text book without any practical lessons ? no you couldn't and so it is with politics, the only thing you've learned over the past three years is how to be a politician"

Without creating a new thread is there anyone else who feels we need to address the age at which people can vote ?
I do, but I think it should go down to 16, along with much better education about the dynamics of politics.

D13

D13

Associate
You know what you get for second place in a general election don't you?

Yeah they won't get anything, and I was never optimistic enough to think they will get even more than a handful of seats (who knows they may get none).

But if the share of the vote is high enough, perhaps it will help contribute to towards badly needed changes to the electoral system.

Permabanned
IF Houghton and Sunderland South is in anyway Representative then ti would show the exit polls wildly wrong, UKIP doing far better than any poll expected, and the Tories getting destroyed.

That directly contradicts the the Professor just said.

Soldato

I genuinely think there should be an IQ test to vote. Does that help?

Man of Honour

What!? :confused: It proves the exit polls are bang on! That's exactly what was predicted for that seat

Back
Top Bottom