Lexus GS 430 - Good car, dodgy dealer. Should I buy or not?

Soldato
Hi all,

So earlier this week I went to take a look at an 05 Lexus GS 430 with 137k on the clock. It's been LPG converted which is a major draw for me as the fuel savings would be welcome.

The car has had 3 previous owners, two of which were in the first year (perhaps one was the original dealership?) and the most recent owner has had it since 2006. Up until the last two services it's been serviced by the main dealers. I called them up to verify this and it all seems to check out. In terms of condition, everything looks good to me. Interior looks very clean and all the gizmos seem to work fine as expected. Some minor cosmetic scratches on the bumper but nothing that can't come out easily. So in general the car seems fine. For my own peace of mind I was planning on having the car checked over by a garage before I commit to the purchase.

However, this evening I googled the traders name out of interest and it turns out that he and his brother have this year been found guilty of selling clocked cars and were ordered to pay a large fine or risk jail time.

I'm now in the dilemma that I really like the car, everything with it seems to check out and it's in good overall condition. It's also not that common given that it's LPG. But I can't really trust the dealer now.

My head says no, despite how much I like the car. What would you do?

Soldato
I'd avoid. Even on the principle of not giving my hard earned to dodgy folks who make a living out of ripping off innocent people.

Lexus are generally easy to buy. They all have high spec and usually the owners are pretty sensible with taking their car to the dealer each year to service.

Soldato
As far as giving money to dodgy dealers, then yes, I agree with Pepsilol there.

However, if it's a good price, on a rare spec car, that you are specifically looking for, on a good car, then you look at it like a private sale, i.e. don't expect any come back. At least it doesn't sound like it's clocked with all them miles. And is something that should be easy enough to check.

It's difficult really. Depends on how you view your own ethics really.

Soldato
Buying a car from a bunch of crooks who have been caught and found guilty of car scams....

No brainer for me, walk away. Find another one and convert it to LPG, you dont know for sure what your buying with this car.

Soldato
Hi all,

So earlier this week I went to take a look at an 05 Lexus GS 430 with 137k on the clock. It's been LPG converted which is a major draw for me as the fuel savings would be welcome.

The car has had 3 previous owners, two of which were in the first year (perhaps one was the original dealership?) and the most recent owner has had it since 2006. Up until the last two services it's been serviced by the main dealers. I called them up to verify this and it all seems to check out. In terms of condition, everything looks good to me. Interior looks very clean and all the gizmos seem to work fine as expected. Some minor cosmetic scratches on the bumper but nothing that can't come out easily. So in general the car seems fine. For my own peace of mind I was planning on having the car checked over by a garage before I commit to the purchase.

However, this evening I googled the traders name out of interest and it turns out that he and his brother have this year been found guilty of selling clocked cars and were ordered to pay a large fine or risk jail time.

I'm now in the dilemma that I really like the car, everything with it seems to check out and it's in good overall condition. It's also not that common given that it's LPG. But I can't really trust the dealer now.

My head says no, despite how much I like the car. What would you do?

It wouldn't happen to be a place on Ascot Drive would it?

Soldato
I don't think you'd ever be happy with it, that nagging thought whether it's been clocked may never go away.

Soldato
Is it cheap? My gas converted GS has suspiciously low mileage, almost certainly clocked but it was cheap so I don't really give a damn.
MOT history will give it away if they have simply given it a big chop.

Soldato
Good friend of mine used to own a garage that repaired and resold write off's, he was asked to repaint a lorry in his bodyshop (he also did accident repairs) which he did. Turned out the lorry was stolen and he got 5 years for ringing.

The police spent hundreds of thousands trying to build a case, and in the end he was convicted on the sole evidence of that single lorry.

My point is, a conviction doesn't always mean someone is dodgy, it warrants further investigation.

Soldato
Good friend of mine used to own a garage that repaired and resold write off's, he was asked to repaint a lorry in his bodyshop (he also did accident repairs) which he did. Turned out the lorry was stolen and he got 5 years for ringing.

The police spent hundreds of thousands trying to build a case, and in the end he was convicted on the sole evidence of that single lorry.

My point is, a conviction doesn't always mean someone is dodgy, it warrants further investigation.

That's your friends version of events. He was too ashamed to tell you the real version.

Back
Top Bottom