Here it is the new BMW M2

Soldato
I think this car looks fantastic and with the limited numbers supposedly coming to the UK it could be a pretty sensible purchase. Look at the kind of money the 1M coupes go for at the moment ...

That's my thinking, but the PCP package doesn't launch until November 6th. On the basis that they'll be sold by then, we've just put a deposit down today...

Soldato
I think this car looks fantastic and with the limited numbers supposedly coming to the UK it could be a pretty sensible purchase. Look at the kind of money the 1M coupes go for at the moment ...

My M135i is due to go back in April and i'm going to give this some serious thought .. i think i would take it manual too :)

The 1M though was a limited production car, whereas the M2 isn't (although the numbers actually coming to the UK won't be huge), so I don't expect them to hold value any better than an F80/F82 M3/M4, though maybe short term you could do alright if demand is strong.

I'm holding out until they get the PCP deal on the system and then decide what to do. My M135i will only be a year old by April, though the mileage will be high, so I'm unlikely to keep it longer than 2 years before I change it, and by then used F80 M3s might be within my budget.

OcUK Staff
Yes, M cars are a true other level to non sporty BMW's from everything I've experienced.

On previous M cars I would agree with you because on some previous M cars they have something unique, they shared with no other model in the lineup. THE ENGINE!

Now they just seem to be slightly better tuned engines from lesser models and for me this is where the new M cars are lacking, yes they are very fast but the engines are lacking character. But it is not just BMW, NA is becoming a thing of the past and with it the very special engines that were once created.

Man of Honour
Now they just seem to be slightly better tuned engines from lesser models

Come on Gibbo, you know better than this. They are heavily reworked engines, in the same that the previous M engines are infact heavily reworked versions of existing series production engines too. Your S54 for example started life as an M50..

The latest internet bandwagon is to pretend the M4 etc are just tuned 335i's, but thats like saying an E46 M3 is just a tuned 328i. It's rubbish.

As for the N/A thing, the first ever M engine was... turbocharged.

Soldato
People complain the E92 M3 NA engine lacks torque
People complain the F80 M3/4 turbo engine lacks character....

And so it goes on.

OcUK Staff
[TW]Fox;28699865 said:
Come on Gibbo, you know better than this. They are heavily reworked engines, in the same that the previous M engines are infact heavily reworked versions of existing series production engines too. Your S54 for example started life as an M50..

The latest internet bandwagon is to pretend the M4 etc are just tuned 335i's, but thats like saying an E46 M3 is just a tuned 328i. It's rubbish.

As for the N/A thing, the first ever M engine was... turbocharged.

True I think for me I simply just put off by turbo charged engines, will have to drive one, but I do far prefer high capacity NA engines.

Out of interest how does the engine in the M235i and M2 differ, same engine, different engine etc?

Soldato
True I think for me I simply just put off by turbo charged engines, will have to drive one, but I do far prefer high capacity NA engines.

Out of interest how does the engine in the M235i and M2 differ, same engine, different engine etc?

Same basic engine (N55), but it's got a few parts from the S55 (forged crank and shells I think, maybe some other bits too).

Soldato
On previous M cars I would agree with you because on some previous M cars they have something unique, they shared with no other model in the lineup. THE ENGINE!

Now they just seem to be slightly better tuned engines from lesser models and for me this is where the new M cars are lacking, yes they are very fast but the engines are lacking character. But it is not just BMW, NA is becoming a thing of the past and with it the very special engines that were once created.

Using my Z4m as an example, differences include engine, suspension, brakes, steering rack (non electric) and exhaust. That's pretty much everything I can think of that's performance related different to the standard Z4 apart from the gearbox.

Are the new M models just a hot engine and some stick on body parts or do they have lots of upgraded parts?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28700038 said:
To be fair the reason your Z4 has a different steering system is for packaging reasons. Plenty of M cars have the same steering setup as the standard cars.

The steering was changed because the cheap rubbish electric stuff wouldn't fit, but everyone said that it was a massive improvement over the standard rack, so I think BMW just blamed the space because they just wanted to save face for non M owners. You can't go insulting the whole steering feel of your own product.

Man of Honour
The steering was changed because the cheap rubbish electric stuff wouldn't fit, but everyone said that it was a massive improvement over the standard rack, so I think BMW just blamed the space because they just wanted to save face for non M owners. You can't go insulting the whole steering feel of your own product.

The electric steering in the Z4 was absolutely dire and almost ruined the entire car, which is a shame as the rest of the car is excellent. It was BMW's first attempt at electric PAS.

They've got it sorted now though - my F10 has electric PAS and it's absolutely no issue and is light years better than that in the Z4.

Back
Top Bottom