Bigger, better monitor for cad?

Soldato
Hi all,
so one of our designers is moaning that her 24" monitor isn't as sharp as her mac one at home :rolleyes:
All our designers use a mixture of Dell U2412M, U2414H and P2412H monitors at 1080p res.
No slouches as far as workstation screens go.
Some of the cad monkeys complain of fuzzy text on cad files (on screen obvs).
The main apps are; Autocad, InDesign, Photoshop, Sketchup

If i were to look at the OCUK stock for maybe a 27-29" screen with 1440p res what would you recommend?
Would going to 120/144Hz help?
What about a curved screen?

cost isn't an issue right now (might be if i don't get the budget :) )

All computers have GTX970/980 in them so 1440p res aint a problem.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
What CAD software are you using? I'd imagine a gtx 970 or 980 would both drive a 4K monitor quite well for most CAD packages, so I'd recommend going 4K now and future-proofing your designer's workstation that little bit more.

Soldato
OP
Thanks fellas, been doing some reading and apparently CAD apps don't 'seem' to like 4k too much due to the effecitve screen resolution. Sweet spot seems to be 27" at 2560 x 1440, giving an effective screen res of about 109dpi which it plays nicely with (according to autodesk forums).
So, i'm thinking of the Dell U2715H.
We use AutoCad (see op)

Associate
Hi all,
so one of our designers is moaning that her 24" monitor isn't as sharp as her mac one at home :rolleyes:
All our designers use a mixture of Dell U2412M, U2414H and P2412H monitors at 1080p res.
No slouches as far as workstation screens go.
Some of the cad monkeys complain of fuzzy text on cad files (on screen obvs).
The main apps are; Autocad, InDesign, Photoshop, Sketchup
Those monitors you listed are fine for home use or amateurs, but will not cut it for professional CAD work!

Why are you rolling your eyes at the fact her mac has a far better screen than the POS screens you have bought?

Soldato
Are you sure about CAD apps not liking 4k? Seems very odd to me. I'd be looking at going 4k personally now. May as well for the not that much extra price bump. If it's mainly CAD work/ graphics art rather than photography, then the one I'd be looking at is the BenQ BL3201PT which can be found for a pretty reasonable price for a big, decent 4k screen.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/benq...l-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-111-bq.html

I'm looking to get the Dell up3216q very soon but it's purely for photography work so I want the full Adobe RGB coverage. Otherwise I'd probably look at the BenQ.

Associate
Was in exactly this position and found (to me) the ideal solution.

I run a 3 screen setup at home for Autodesk Inventor, Autocad, Lightwave, Keyshot and the like.

Had 3 Dell U2410's but when I realised 3 screen gaming wasn't for me I wanted a bigger centre screen for work.
Got myself a Dell 30" screen and whilst the colour gamut was superb, the text was far too small and when Windows text scaling was used the interface got real blurry real quick.
At native resolution the UI of programs such as Photoshop was way too small, almost unworkable in fact.
So I sent it back and went back to my 3 24's/

Then...I found the perect monitor for CAD, seriously.
Its a 32" panel, but the resolution is 2560x1440, which on a 32" screen, the text size is as near as dammit to my Dell 24's.

Its absolutly perfect, same text and interface size as my 24's, but WAY more space on screen.

Fantastic for Cad.
Heres a pic of the screen surrounded by my two Dell 24's.
[
1_5.jpg

Got mine from this very boutique: :)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/benq...lim-bezel-flicker-free-monitor-mo-099-bq.html

Fantastic picture quality, bright and as sharp as a tack.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom