BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Tried to put in a request to order an M135i but been told by two separate dealers that no new orders are allowed. Apparently they're preparing for "something" to be unveiled in July. One dealer hinted at the M140i.
check the babybmw site. apparently you can no longer order a M135i as everything is switching over to the M140i which is apparently due to be available in Sep (so I guess dealers might do some good deals on any left over demo stock?). Sounds like it's the same car as the recent facelift but with a new engine (B58 instead of the present N55) which should give it about 15bhp more and a different power-delivery. I got my M135i last week, so on 1 hand it's a little frustrating the new engine is out so soon, but on the other hand, I got an amazing deal that probably wouldn't have been available on a new release.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The hype around the possible M140 is quite bizarre, it sounds like it's simply a change to the newer engine which offfers broadly similar performance. It isn't some sort of amazing new model that will make people clamour to upgrade.

Associate
yeah, given the facelift/LCI only happened recently and are still moderately rare, it's weird/odd that they're moving to the new engine now. Unless it was intended to be released with the facelift and the engine development got delayed a load???

There's a lot of praise for the new B58 block, but if it's an amazing step up then why is the M2 not moving to it too? If both the M140 and M240 get that 15bhp more then it makes the M240 about 340bhp and the M2 is about 360. Yes, there's more difference between the 2 cars than just the power, but they're almost starting to overlap? (but, I guess BMW don't mind given the apparent waiting time for the M2 - and if some of those waiting move to a M240 for a year or so 1st, then it's possibly 2 cars sold instead of 1...)

Permabanned
Well... I drove the Tesla

annnnnnd.... ended up back at the BMW garage to talk to someone about an M6

I liked the M6 Gran Coupe a heck of a lot more than I thought I would...

Odd that I don't like the M5 despite them sharing the same engine.

For what it was, the Tesla was good... distinctly drives like a mid-engined car, as you would expect with the weight distribution and the handling/suspension has been setup well to handle the weight... but I felt it on the first bump and that feeling carries through the drive. It's a very very good car... just not for me... yet. A few more generations down the line when range to weight distribution improves - I can see myself enjoying one.

I was a little underwhelmed by "Insane Mode"... I was expecting it too feel quicker than my Boxster but find that after that little rush to 60, climbing up to 100 and the Boxster is the quicker car.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well... I drove the Tesla

annnnnnd.... ended up back at the BMW garage to talk to someone about an M6

I liked the M6 Gran Coupe a heck of a lot more than I thought I would...

Odd that I don't like the M5 despite them sharing the same engine.

Is that because you liked the M6 so much, or because you were very underwhelmed or disappointed with the Tesla?

Permabanned
I rather like the M6.

I've had a 640d (standard coupe rather than GC) as a rental car most of the times I've been back to the UK over the last few years and liked it from the start... I knew I'd like one with a proper engine and the combo of 540bhp engine + DCT + LSD really brings the car to life.

What surprised me is that I prefer the M6 GC over the Panamera. Definitely prefer it to the Mustang... although the Mustang was more of a contender to the M2, despite it's size being closer to the M6.

I think I'd have the NA V10 over the twin-turbo V8 though, given the choice... I fancy leasing something new for a change though, rather than going to the second hand market.

Wifey still wants an M2, but we have to wait til they have a new one in stock as I don't think I would ever buy a car without test drive first unless I was rolling in cash.

Last edited:
Associate
I got an amazing deal that probably wouldn't have been available on a new release.
if its more than 22% then it would be amazing, 20-22% pretty common

[TW]Fox;29463295 said:
The hype around the possible M140 is quite bizarre, it sounds like it's simply a change to the newer engine which offfers broadly similar performance. It isn't some sort of amazing new model that will make people clamour to upgrade.
rumours of an updated media system and new wheels also, more than enough to keep my interest, but hey I'm sure your still getting over the shock of the very real possibility of it actually being built :)

yeah, given the facelift/LCI only happened recently and are still moderately rare, it's weird/odd that they're moving to the new engine now. Unless it was intended to be released with the facelift and the engine development got delayed a load???

There's a lot of praise for the new B58 block, but if it's an amazing step up then why is the M2 not moving to it too? If both the M140 and M240 get that 15bhp more then it makes the M240 about 340bhp and the M2 is about 360. Yes, there's more difference between the 2 cars than just the power, but they're almost starting to overlap? (but, I guess BMW don't mind given the apparent waiting time for the M2 - and if some of those waiting move to a M240 for a year or so 1st, then it's possibly 2 cars sold instead of 1...)
the omission of a proper diff seems to be BMW strategy to preserve M2 orders, you can get one for M135/m235 but its a bit costly and you have to search under the bmw performance section

although even adding a diff still doesn't get it to M standard for the purists :)

Associate
I rather like the M6.

I've had a 640d (standard coupe rather than GC) as a rental car most of the times I've been back to the UK over the last few years and liked it from the start... I knew I'd like one with a proper engine and the combo of 540bhp engine + DCT + LSD really brings the car to life.

What surprised me is that I prefer the M6 GC over the Panamera. Definitely prefer it to the Mustang... although the Mustang was more of a contender to the M2, despite it's size being closer to the M6.

I think I'd have the NA V10 over the twin-turbo V8 though, given the choice... I fancy leasing something new for a change though, rather than going to the second hand market.

Wifey still wants an M2, but we have to wait til they have a new one in stock as I don't think I would ever buy a car without test drive first unless I was rolling in cash.

would a heavily discounted M4 comp pack not be worth considering ?, there was a UK deal recently for such with HK audio and a few extras for £52k factory order

appreciate this might not be available for a left hooker in your location

Soldato
I was a little underwhelmed by "Insane Mode"... I was expecting it too feel quicker than my Boxster but find that after that little rush to 60, climbing up to 100 and the Boxster is the quicker car.

I found Insane Mode to be strangely addictive :D That slight "wooooosh" and then you're at 80mph. Haven't driven a Boxster so can't relate though.

Back
Top Bottom