Sennheiser HD650 - The classic beauty in a grey dress Appreciation thread!

Associate
I'm confused how I've had HD650's before and sold them. The more I'm listening to them since I got them a few days ago, I'm constantly impressed.

It all just sounds so .... real. Like I'm in a small gig. Superb stuff.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If they just did memory foam earpads I'd be all over them, but I can see myself buying new pads every few years seeing as non memory foam ones just go weaker and weaker over time.

Associate
It all just sounds so .... real. Like I'm in a small gig. Superb stuff.

A gig using really good amps/PA, or using mid range amps/PA? A gig in a very good acoustic environment or a poor one?
Most small gigs I've been to have had in terms of 'hi-fi' sound, terrible sound. An entirely acoustic performance I suppose would be as real as it gets, but any recording of that is subject to the qualities of the equipment recording it, the skill of the recordist, the mixing of it, the mix decisions, the mastering decisions.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want to get out of the habbit of buying and selling them it's simple.

All I did was damage them to the point they are worth nothing second hand but still function perfectly fine. For example the crack in this headband makes it practically worthless to sell but changes nothing.

Soldato
why does it have to be an either or?

My HD650s, AKG K702s and Sony MDR-100AAPs all have different strengths, which allows me to enjoy a bit of variety in my listening experience.

Caporegime
If you want to get out of the habbit of buying and selling them it's simple.

All I did was damage them to the point they are worth nothing second hand but still function perfectly fine. For example the crack in this headband makes it practically worthless to sell but changes nothing.

Eek, you need headphone therapy. :p

Associate
Go to a-b hd600 and hd650 all last week, the majority of the Internet was correct that the hd600 sound slightly better, but also correct that the difference between them is subtle.Would be very happy with the hd650 if I hadn't heard the 600.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I am somewhat sceptical as well.

As Ryan said earlier, both offer different "flavours" - Not everyone like Prawn Cocktail over Cheese & Onion, that doesn't mean One is better than the other.

Back
Top Bottom