German Grand Prix 2016, Hockenheim - Race 12/21

Caporegime
Williams must be the worst team at strategy.
I swear they balls it up more often than not!
Closely followed by Ferrari

Ferrari going backwards. No doubt about it they've been overtaken by red Bull

Don't think nico deserved the penalty. But regardless, in that merc, he should have been able to be more than 5 ahead.
Inconsistent stewards.

Redbull have a good team. Two decent guys with level heads.

OK race for a dry one

You hang out a long stint once because you don't know how it will go, it goes badly. That's fine, it happens, you don't know your car can't do it till you've tried it. The second time, hey mate, you tried this before and it failed badly. Not good but different track, different tires, different tire deg at this different track okay, but now you obviously know this car can't do that right?

Third time, you haven't learned, no excuses, why are you doing this? Strategy guy can't learn after this long replace him. 18th time..... seriously Williams, are you even trying any more, do you care about improving, do you have any ambition?

Williams has amongst the worst tire life on the car, Merc had this in 2013 as a result of massive changes to the car that made it much faster, 2014, fixed, best tire life on the grid. Williams has done nothing to improve tire life since 2014, it's cost them repeatedly, in 2014 they could have won a couple of races but for their tire life against merc losing out in pitstops basically every time. Holding Mercs up due to good starts or the odd great qualy, Mercs unable to pass at certain tracks but Williams pitting way early and Merc just stay out for 5 laps and its race over.

3 years they haven't fixed tire life at all and they keep trying to do extra long stints which is the worst possible tactic for that car.

smr

smr

Soldato
Did the penalty also make him drive slowly and have a poor start?

What's that got to do with whether the penalty was justified ? What made Hamilton drive slowly and have poor starts in especially the first 4 races of the season then, since I don't remember him having penalties then? :confused:

Soldato
What's that got to do with whether the penalty was justified ? What made Hamilton drive slowly and have poor starts in especially the first 4 races of the season then, since I don't remember him having penalties then? :confused:

I think what he's getting at is Rosberg was only in that position because of his terrible start.

Man of Honour
Lol, Rosberg also claiming the RBR moved during braking.

He's absolutely stupid isn't he. Totally stupid.

To be fair Max did move in the breaking zone again. You clearly see on the replay, Nico pull out to take the inside, Max quickly tries to block him by moving over but then backs out. Max is guilty of shady driving here too and he can't keep getting away with it.

Caporegime
I think what he's getting at is Rosberg was only in that position because of his terrible start.

This. Rosbergs race was hardly stellar regardless of the penalty. He would have struggled to get on the podium regardless, and was only in the position to have to make the move that got him that penalty by having a poor start and opening few laps.

Associate
Harsh penalty? Think not. How on Earth was Verstappen meant to make that corner?? Kinda impossible with a silver machine right across. Rosberg barely made the corner himself, not Verstappens fault Rosberg out-braked himself! Rosberg was lucky Verstappen didn't turn in on him either.
3 stewards meetings in as many GPs?!? Don't think even Maldonado managed that!

Soldato
Yup, no idea how they are letting it keep going on, strategy guy should be fired, Symonds fired, despite my personal dislike for his involvement in crashgate, that car hasn't done anything in three years. It's the most basic design, nothing notable has improved beyond the engine and they have dropped back each year significantly and now FI who frankly have less money are now better. They got gifted extra money by Ferrari/Renault engined cars dropping behind them due to constructors money and their lacking ambition meant they stuck with guys who aren't good enough.

2014 was a gift, they should have shown some ambition and made big changes in the car, got a young hungry driver in place of Massa the crash machine and moved on. Such a promising situation and they've done nothing with it at all.

Williams are still stuck making a car that's very fast in a straight line, because it's easier and cheaper, but only gives benefits on a few tracks. Mercedes and Red Bull before them have proved that you get more benefit across the whole year by making a car that is a little slower at the top end, but much faster in medium corners. Extra downforce in those corners means you get around them faster and get a faster lap.

I think Williams need to change their philosophy because in this day and age, it takes more than a slippery car to win races.

smr

smr

Soldato
Williams are still stuck making a car that's very fast in a straight line, because it's easier and cheaper, but only gives benefits on a few tracks. Mercedes and Red Bull before them have proved that you get more benefit across the whole year by making a car that is a little slower at the top end, but much faster in medium corners. Extra downforce in those corners means you get around them faster and get a faster lap.

I think Williams need to change their philosophy because in this day and age, it takes more than a slippery car to win races.

The changes to the car, and the aero / regs are so different next year that Williams could well be a lot stronger than this year.

Soldato
The changes to the car, and the aero / regs are so different next year that Williams could well be a lot stronger than this year.

I think that while some languishing teams are hoping for a shake-up that benefits them, what will actually happen is those with a lot of money (like Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari) will benefit and do better than everyone else because they have more resources and expertise to build a better car out of the blocks.

I won't be surprised if Mercedes still dominate next year.

Back
Top Bottom