Under what circumstances should your son/daughter start contributing?

As in title, I'm just wondering under what circumstances would you require your son or daughter to start contributing to the household, do you base it on age? earnings? how many chores they do?

How much do you or would you expect?

I ask this because my mum (single) is still bringing up my two younger brothers (17 and 20) on her own and she works very very hard looking after them keeping the house together and my younger brother in particular does nothing to help out at all, doesn't lift a finger, they are both earning a good amount of money now but I only think it fair they chip in, am I wrong to think this?

Commissario
I paid housekeeping when I moved back home after uni and got my first 'proper' job. Think I gave £350 a month or so.

If they're both earning then they should be contributing unless it's part time and they're at college/uni.

Man of Honour
My kids aren't working yet (9 and 12). We're starting to get them to do little jobs around the house like hanging the washing out, etc. But when they start working and bringing home a wage then I'd expect them to contribut to the household finances. Hopefully we will be in a situation where we don't actually need their money so we will instead put it in an account and pay it back to them when they buy a house or move out (but won't tell them that until they do).

Soldato
They should be doing chores in their teens and contributing financially once they have work. I was giving my dad about £40 a week when I was in my first job earning minimum wage.

Soldato
To be honest,Its your mom that needs to enforce this,If she hasn't said anything to them then maybe she doesn't want to.
Unless shes charging you board but not them two.

Like mentioned,you would think they would contribute regardless especially as they are working,Have you talked to your brother about it?

Soldato
I will be asking my Son to give me half his salary which I will then under agreement save for him ready for his future to pay off as much of his mortgage as possible. I deliver sessions saying if you save up £500 a month for 3-5years you can knock 6-8years off paying (assuming a reasonable house price).

Soldato
I will be asking my Son to give me half his salary which I will then under agreement save for him ready for his future to pay off as much of his mortgage as possible. I deliver sessions saying if you save up £500 a month for 3-5years you can knock 6-8years off paying (assuming a reasonable house price).

Don't you think that will stifle his independence? Should he not learn how to save himself?

Soldato

HALF!? bloody hell. I thought the government was bad!

Soldato
Don't you think that will stifle his independence? Should he not learn how to save himself?

Not really. I give money even now. First to my nan (who exchanges them for lovely fiddy notes) then to my old man who puts it in a bomb proof safe.

He will have his own savings in addition to that and the money will be here for emergency unless he tells me otherwise.

Lets just say I wish I had not been so prodigal with my money at 19-21 (where most of my money was just cast to the wind).

Soldato
My kids are quite young (6 & 3) but, in principle, when they're older and working (if they're still at home) my current thinking is to offer them a choice between paying 'rent' of say £200 per month, which I keep, or saving £500 per month, which they keep.

Would need to have some oversight of their finances to verify savings, but that intrusion would the price of living at home I guess.

Soldato
i had to start paying in when i was working full time. we just worked out what was fair to contribute to food and electricity
i always wanted to pay in the minimum possible of course :p but i still paid

Soldato
Lol :D

What does a young person need so much money for? My heyday years were 17-19. I had so much money I didn't know what to do with it. Had more money then than I do now. What a wounder.

TBF I was earning relatively silly money when I was in my early 20s and all it did was get me perpetually smashed.

Je ne regrette rien. :p

Soldato
I started paying housekeep as soon as I started my first full time job. I think it's a good idea, it gets you thinking about money at an early age, and how to manage it best etc.

If they're 17 and 20 and are both earning money, they should contribute in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom