German Grand Prix 2016, Hockenheim - Race 12/21

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Watched the GP last night and knew the "move" Rosberg pulled would be a talking point on OcUK :D.

It seems that driving straight on at a corner, turning back in when you get to the edge of the track (forcing your opponent off) is not a viable tactic... colour me surprised. The radio message immediately afterwards is comedy gold too!

Soldato
That list does take into account a lot of stuff and it seems to be more about the guys who got a **** car to finish higher than it was supposed to. For example if i drove a manor from the back of the grid to first place and won the race in which it also rained and then retired from racing after that race I'd probably top that leaderboard. :cool:

smr

smr

Soldato
The data was based on the the driver having an input of around 15 percent wasn't it? Therefore a car which was seriously lacking yet was still managed to a position higher than it should have been is what the mathematical model was based around...

This is what they said anyway:

"The highest is 11th-placed Brazilian Christian Fittipaldi (top left in above image). The Brazilian drove in 40 races over three years (the 1992, 1993 and 1994 seasons), and never once stood on the podium, yet when you look at the cars he drove, his three fourth places, a fifth and a sixth take on much greater significance. He is the son of former Grand Prix driver and team owner Wilson Fittipaldi, and the nephew of two-time Formula One Champion and Indianapolis 500 winner Emerson Fittipaldi, who placed ninth on this list."

Probably gains a bit of significance by perhaps sharing genes with Emmo :D

Soldato
Indeed.

He chose not to turn in until he'd force him off the track. Then said over the radio he was at full lock.

I was happy with the 5 second penalty as a punishment. Could have been more, but it couldn't be considered dangerous and/or at high speed. Just a **** move.
Or, and just or, he decided not to turn in until he had done enough breaking instead of breaking and turning at the same time which would have mean't lookup thus destroying his tyres.

What he should have probably made clear from the outset instead of all the nonsense he said.

Still doesn't address the fact that he went for a gap and left his breaking too late thus causing the whole issue in the first place.

smr

smr

Soldato
Fans moan about no overtaking in F1.

Driver attempts to overtake, for all we know legitamtely unable to turn in earlier without locking wheels.

Fans moan at overtaking in F1.

If Hamilton had done it everyone would be saying what a great overtake it was. I guarantee that.

Soldato

Driver attempts to overtake, for all we know legitamtely unable to turn in earlier without locking wheels.

If Hamilton had done it everyone would be saying what a great overtake it was. I guarantee that.

It wasn't a good overtake at all, that's the point, regardless of who attempted it!

Associate

Rubbish I would slate Lewis just as much - stop tarring every Lewis fan with the same brush.

As I fan I want overtaking but what Nico did was drive straight and then as he ran out of road he turned the wheel. Some are claiming Max caused Nico to run deep into the corner as he moved in the braking zone. But I did not see Nico lock he wheels so for me it was calculated, Nico knew what he was doing. The guy just cannot race plain and simple. He is good when out in front on his own or on a track where overtaking is difficult.

Last edited:
Soldato

We're not moaning about overtaking in F1 - we're holding our sides laughing at Rosberg's pathetic attempt to overtake and then cover up his clumsy driving afterwards. It wouldn't matter who had pulled off that move - it would be mocked just as much.

Btw, he was perfectly able to turn the wheel without locking up, he just chose not too. The corner speed, or lack of it, is clear to see and Verstappen is clearly able to move his car just fine at exactly the same time.

I've always tried to hold a balanced of view of Rosberg, but it is difficult to see him as anything other right now than a very average driver who's confidence is completely shot and whose judgement is therefore completely flawed.

The move is so awkward that I'm laughing every time I see a replay of it now. It is like a child who takes his ball away so others can't play. Rosberg taking the corner and track away so Verstappen can't play any more. Haha - what a muppet Rosberg has become. Hamilton probably didn't get any sleep last night he was still laughing so hard.

Soldato
The data was based on the the driver having an input of around 15 percent wasn't it? Therefore a car which was seriously lacking yet was still managed to a position higher than it should have been is what the mathematical model was based around...

This is what they said anyway:

"The highest is 11th-placed Brazilian Christian Fittipaldi (top left in above image). The Brazilian drove in 40 races over three years (the 1992, 1993 and 1994 seasons), and never once stood on the podium, yet when you look at the cars he drove, his three fourth places, a fifth and a sixth take on much greater significance. He is the son of former Grand Prix driver and team owner Wilson Fittipaldi, and the nephew of two-time Formula One Champion and Indianapolis 500 winner Emerson Fittipaldi, who placed ninth on this list."
The problem there is that literally all his points finishes were down to massive attrition - even for early 90s standards. Germany '94 for example had 11 cars out of the race after the first lap and only 5 cars finished Kyalami '93.

The algorithm doesn't account for that at all.

Last edited:
Soldato

We are talking about the best drivers in the world though.. They know what they are doing and have more car control than anyone. Yet that looked like something I'd do on Gran Turismo to ensure i blocked the other guy/stopped him getting a run on me out of the corner... I'm a Lewis fan and I'd happily admit that he's had some terrible manoeuvres in the past however when Nico pulled the same move on him he literally left his own turn in as long as possible with the view that he'd lost out to Nico and would take him on the next. However Nico was playing Gran Turismo... Imagine Max had been closer and Nico hit him like Lewis! RB/CH would've gone mental! But no doubt in Rosberg's eyes it wouldn't have been his fault.

That's why people dislike the bloke. He cant just hold his hands up when he's wrong, a fair fight with Lewis was when Lewis' car was broken/had issues and he just seems to be living in a dream world where he's the best driver in the world.

So if Jenson did it you'd honestly believe it was a good overtaking manoeuvre?

Man of Honour
Watched the GP last night and knew the "move" Rosberg pulled would be a talking point on OcUK :D.

It seems that driving straight on at a corner, turning back in when you get to the edge of the track (forcing your opponent off) is not a viable tactic... colour me surprised. The radio message immediately afterwards is comedy gold too!

It was odd that Brundle kept banging on that we need to see more of this... I thought I was watching a different race, such a poor overtaking move and is something you do in karting or similar.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

It was odd that Brundle kept banging on that we need to see more of this... I thought I was watching a different race, such a poor overtaking move and is something you do in karting or similar.

Every overtake is announced with a raised voice... regardless of skill. Rinse and repeat.

I would laugh it off as a clumsy defence gone-wrong, if it were anyone else. However, the fact that it was a carbon copy of the move he pulled on Hamilton makes me suspicious that he's just not a fair racer.

Soldato
I thought my tinnitus was playing up, but it turns out it's Rossberg still whining about getting a 5 second penalty for a block pass.

Double LOL at Mercedes for making it an 8 second penalty by not having a working stop watch.

Soldato

I'm actually still stunned that everyone on Sky - Brundle, Davidson and so forth - seemed to think there was nothing wrong with it. I was screaming at the TV. Then the stewards' decision came and they still kept on about there being nothing wrong with it.

He dived in way too late, ran wide and pushed Max off the track in the process. If that's allowed to stand then everyone will be using that tactic at every corner of every race from now on. Usually when a driver tries that, they overshoot to the point the other driver can duck back inside and retake the lead but Rosberg just didn't quite overshoot enough for Max to do that.

As for his pathetic radio ranting about being "on full lock" - yes Nico you were on full lock struggling to get round the corner because you barrelled in way too fast in the first place.

I see articles today quoting him as referring to the move as "awesome". Says it all that he considers a hamfisted overtaking attempt that results in a penalty as "awesome". What a tool.

Soldato
That's why people dislike the bloke. He cant just hold his hands up when he's wrong, a fair fight with Lewis was when Lewis' car was broken/had issues and he just seems to be living in a dream world where he's the best driver in the world.

It's just classic spoiled brat syndrome. He's had everything handed to him for his entire life, including his entire racing career (most of his time spent in Daddy's teams) and now he finds himself in F1, in the fastest car, and he's not winning the championship he's 'entitled to' and is having a strop because it can't possibly be his fault.

With him re-signing for another few years, I'm actually curious as to what it will do to him if Lewis does win again this year. With the lead he had after four races, surely it'll finally destroy him mentally?

Soldato
It's just classic spoiled brat syndrome. He's had everything handed to him for his entire life, including his entire racing career (most of his time spent in Daddy's teams) and now he finds himself in F1, in the fastest car, and he's not winning the championship he's 'entitled to' and is having a strop because it can't possibly be his fault.

With him re-signing for another few years, I'm actually curious as to what it will do to him if Lewis does win again this year. With the lead he had after four races, surely it'll finally destroy him mentally?

Exactly. At the end of the day they have all grown up in these similar worlds and are pretty much programed to win from an early age. But some have far more humility than others... People would like him far more if he just held his hands up when he'd made a mistake. Rather than saying the mistake was awesome?! :D

I'd like Lewis to win it this year and then next years car to be on par with RB and Ferrari so he'll actually have to race more than one driver. He'll then find out that Mercedes cant protect him from the 4 other guys in the other teams.

Back
Top Bottom