Robot Wars returning to BBC2!

Man of Honour
Worth watching these then? I missed it :(

I don't think so, but some others seem to love it for some reason.

I just cant get my head around why they chose the format they did. where they expect destroyed robots to fight. not that there's many destroyed robots because half of them are truly terrible and cant possibly be picked for how good they were.

Don
Thor was a beast, the driver had pin perfect control. Great agility with a devastating weapon, shame to see it knocked out.

Equally was a shame to see Razer go out against a non-contender :/

Soldato
Thor's exit from the game was shameful. The guy who was controlling it was superb, as was the design of the robot and his strategy on using it etc. Up to the point of him going in the pit he had convincingly won each round, and was clearly ahead on the scoreboard.

Razer -well just damned bad luck, again sad how such a previous winner, and seemingly a good overall design, could lose to those other robot carpet sweepers.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

What's the change to the format then? In work at the moment and the network is locked down so tight :(

Man of Honour
What's the change to the format then? In work at the moment and the network is locked down so tight :(

they battle for a complete ranking. so even the losers have multiple battles.
and thors weapon wasn't deadly it was pretty rubbish, chipping a bit of paint and denting in insignificant ways, other than against rubbish bots with what looked like sellotaped on scoop. of course it would do well against that. however it was a darn good pushing bot with someone who could drive well.

Caporegime
and thors weapon wasn't deadly it was pretty rubbish, chipping a bit of paint and denting in insignificant ways, other than against rubbish bots with what looked like sellotaped on scoop. of course it would do well against that. however it was a darn good pushing bot with someone who could drive well.

It seemed pretty good at doing unseen internal damage too. Several bots were disabled or suffered loss of full functionality after a good hammer hit.

Caporegime

Round 1:
2x 4 bot group battles. Winner and 2nd place progress, 3rd and 4th eliminted after just 1 battle.

Round 2:
The 4 progressing bots fight each other in 1v1 battles, so 6 battles over all with each bot having 3 battles. 2 hours repair time in between each.
3 points for a KO, 2 points for a win by judges decision, 0 points for a loss.
The two bots with the most points after the 6 fights go through to the final

Round 3:
Final 1v1 between the remaining 2 bots, winner progresses to the Grand Final show.

So if you make it through the first round you get at least another 3 battles. It means bots like Nuts or Foxic can make it through on fluke or hiding tactics and then have to try and survive 3 more battles.

Caporegime
So if you make it through the first round you get at least another 3 battles. It means bots like Nuts or Foxic can make it through on fluke or hiding tactics and then have to try and survive 3 more battles.

I feel quite sorry for the Foxic team: their robot simply didn't perform on the day. It wasn't driving properly save for a single fight and, even then, their primary lifting arm wasn't working so they'd stuck on a second rate short arm that didn't do much.

The problem with the group stage is that it usually ends up in a good robot getting dumped down the pit. I think the pit should only be activatable after a minute has passed or something like that.

Caporegime
I feel quite sorry for the Foxic team: their robot simply didn't perform on the day. It wasn't driving properly save for a single fight and, even then, their primary lifting arm wasn't working so they'd stuck on a second rate short arm that didn't do much.

The problem with the group stage is that it usually ends up in a good robot getting dumped down the pit. I think the pit should only be activatable after a minute has passed or something like that.

They can't be much of a robot if they drive into the pit or get pushed down it.

Soldato
they battle for a complete ranking. so even the losers have multiple battles.

You arent going to see any axe type weapons piercing hardox armoured robots now. In the old robot wars everyone used thin alu plate that it would have destroyed, even hypno disc. It was very powerful as it even lifted his 70kg? robot off the floor when it came crashing down. Thats a lot of shock it puts into the electronics of the robot its hitting.

Soldato
Just watched ep2 on iPlayer and it was a poor episode with bad robots except for, Thor.

I really hate the arena hazards too, especially the pit. It's really lame to have these robots we want to see smash each other to pieces and then see one go into the pit. And the crowd chanting PIT PIT PIT! all fight.. **** you seriously, gtfo...

Here's a disc robot that can spin at 120mph exerting 4.5G's of impact force at the moment of collision capable of launching another robot 8ft in the air by deflection and causing catastrophic damage in the proce.. PIT PIT PIT!PIT PIT PIT!PIT PIT PIT!PIT PIT PIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caporegime
Just watched ep2 on iPlayer and it was a poor episode with bad robots except for, Thor.

I really hate the arena hazards too, especially the pit. It's really lame to have these robots we want to see smash each other to pieces and then see one go into the pit. And the crowd chanting PIT PIT PIT! all fight.. **** you seriously, gtfo...

Here's a disc robot that can spin at 120mph exerting 4.5G's of impact force at the moment of collision capable of launching another robot 8ft in the air by deflection and causing catastrophic damage in the proce.. PIT PIT PIT!PIT PIT PIT!PIT PIT PIT!PIT PIT PIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty sure the pit chants are prompted by the producers.

Associate
i always wonder why a axe, sure if you hit it right it might punch a hole in the armor and might dmg something important. if it was me i would put a 4" cube of steel at the end of the arm, so to deliver as much shock on impact as i could.

Soldato
i always wonder why a axe, sure if you hit it right it might punch a hole in the armor and might dmg something important. if it was me i would put a 4" cube of steel at the end of the arm, so to deliver as much shock on impact as i could.

It would have been more fitting for a robot called Thor as well.

Soldato
Thor looked good but the weapon wasn't all that great, sure against Mr Speed Squared it went through the armour easily but frankly that looked like tin foil, against Shockwave it dented but didn't pierce it.

I believe the rules state you can't have hardened steel which hinders the axe type weapons, any edge without hardened steel will surely just be blunted after the first hit, so you end up with more bludgening weapons, which frankly only really work against poor opponents.

But his driving was good, so bit of a shame to have a technical issue put him out.

Mr Speed Squared looked an interesting design but was clearly poorly built if they needed to remove armour to get it under the weight limit.

I think in general we are seeing some issues with the limited time to prepare most teams had, more so than the format, some teams have the design and spares such that they seem plenty capable of rebuilding between fights, others like Mr Speed Squared seemed to lack any spare bearings which neutralised their weapon after the group fight.

Soldato
The pit gets used too frequently now, and the house robots are lame ducks this time round. They used to happily dive-in and finish off robots that had been damaged, now it seems like if you're taken a bit of damage and aren't doing well, you're left alone or just dumped in the pit.

Back
Top Bottom