German Grand Prix 2016, Hockenheim - Race 12/21

Soldato
Fans moan about no overtaking in F1.

Driver attempts to overtake, for all we know legitamtely unable to turn in earlier without locking wheels.

What on earth is "legitimately" supposed to mean? It was a problem entirely of his own making.

Throw it up the inside by virtue of braking later but so late that you can't then get round the corner without forcing the other driver off the track.

Yeah, totally legitimate move that :rolleyes:

Soldato
What on earth is "legitimately" supposed to mean? It was a problem entirely of his own making.

Throw it up the inside by virtue of braking later but so late that you can't then get round the corner without forcing the other driver off the track.

Yeah, totally legitimate move that :rolleyes:

Its like Horner said, had there been clouds of smoke coming from his front tyres the stewards may have taken it into account but it looked largely un-eventful and that he was just straight lining the corner to push Max off the road/block him from getting a run out of it.

But as i said earlier in this thread, this could've all been avoided had he not had a terrible start and put himself in 4th from 1st... :D

Man of Honour
It wasn't a good overtake at all, that's the point, regardless of who attempted it!

It was never going to be successful, he was too far back. We want to see genuine skilled overtakes. What Rosberg attempted was pathetic. Plenty of other drivers would have been more patient and would have gotten the job done.

Soldato
I thought my tinnitus was playing up, but it turns out it's Rossberg still whining about getting a 5 second penalty for a block pass.

Double LOL at Mercedes for making it an 8 second penalty by not having a working stop watch.
Maybe the stopwatch fiasco will shut some retards up about the whole, "Merc doing everything they can to get Rosberg to win the championship".?

Soldato
Quite.

You can clearly see from the onboard he made no attempt to turn the wheel until he was almost out of road, purposely forcing Max wide. To then come on the radio and say "I was at full lock", well he either means with the wheel or on the brake pedal. Now considering his speed at the mid point of the corner he was going slow enough to come off the brakes, turn and accelerate away. He did not do this however because he knew Max would have been on the outside with a better run, or double backed and have a run on him.

A very average driver in a superior car. It does not help his image one bit that he tries to protest his innocence for subpar manoeuvres. Its the type of move you do in go-karting, touring cars or Gran Turismo and almost a carbon copy of what he did to Hamilton.
I think the full lock message was with regards to when he actually started turning the wheel, and that he was at full lock trying to get round the bend when he actually attempted to make the corner, not at full lock when he was still breaking for the corner.

Caporegime
Its like Horner said, had there been clouds of smoke coming from his front tyres the stewards may have taken it into account but it looked largely un-eventful and that he was just straight lining the corner to push Max off the road/block him from getting a run out of it.

I caught a bit of the C4 coverage and Coulthard made this exact same comment.

Associate
Max embarrassed him at silverstone, and drove round the outside of him at a place no one overtakes. Maybe Rosberg was trying to prove something..... all he did was make himself look foolish again.

I look forward to the day that he tries to overtake someone and they put him on the grass (fair in his eyes).

Hopefully we'll see the Redbulls challenging from here on in too. It'll be interesting to see how Rosberg handles the pressure from more competition. I suspect it may get messy.

Soldato
Fans moan about no overtaking in F1.

Driver attempts to overtake, for all we know legitamtely unable to turn in earlier without locking wheels.

Fans moan at overtaking in F1.

If Hamilton had done it everyone would be saying what a great overtake it was. I guarantee that.

I doubt Hamilton (or any other driver) would be so cack-handed. Crashberg is the new Maldonado.

Soldato
I don't see how anyone can say that move was a clean overtake.

Even if he was on the 'edge' (which he wasn't) the move that he pulled was illegal as he didn't make the corner, anyone else would have just given the place back. If it was Maldonado that he was overtaking they would be both out of the race.

Lets face it if you look at the corner speed, he could have made the corner but chose not to.

Soldato
Even if he was on the 'edge' (which he wasn't)

That's a bit of a claim, how do you know he wasn't?

I'm not defending Rosberg's move. But I do believe he broke too late and couldn't turn in because giving the tyres something extra to think about other than stopping would likely have resulted in him leaving the track.

He was right to be penalised, you can't set a precedent where drivers are allowed to dive into corners as a block pass. He was lucky that Max didn't turn in on him.

Soldato

I'm not defending Rosberg's move. But I do believe he broke too late and couldn't turn in because giving the tyres something extra to think about other than stopping would likely have resulted in him leaving the track.

He was right to be penalised, you can't set a precedent where drivers are allowed to dive into corners as a block pass. He was lucky that Max didn't turn in on him.

His cornering speed was so slow compared to a normal lap and as he passed the turn in point he is clearly off the breaks but just didn't turn in hence the penalty.

If he was marginal in getting the car stopped the inside front would have locked up just like it does with every other driver.

Soldato
Rosberg's move here looked remarkably similar to the move he pulled trying to defend against Hamilton when they made contact.

He got a penalty for that, and a penalty for this - I think that says it all really.

Soldato
His cornering speed was so slow compared to a normal lap and as he passed the turn in point he is clearly off the breaks but just didn't turn in hence the penalty.

If he was marginal in getting the car stopped the inside front would have locked up just like it does with every other driver.

I'm afraid I just don't believe you.

The inside front typically locks up because it is the unloaded wheel. In order to unload a wheel you have to shift the car balance, which means turning. He wasn't doing that because he wanted all of the stopping power, hence no individual wheel locking.

Soldato
I'm afraid I just don't believe you.

The inside front typically locks up because it is the unloaded wheel. In order to unload a wheel you have to shift the car balance, which means turning. He wasn't doing that because he wanted all of the stopping power, hence no individual wheel locking.

He didn't turn the wheel an inch, yet could have done. Verstappen was able to turn his car at the same point without losing it or locking up.

Soldato
Rosberg's move here looked remarkably similar to the move he pulled trying to defend against Hamilton when they made contact.

He got a penalty for that, and a penalty for this - I think that says it all really.

Isn't a penalty supposed to be worse than a reprimand? We're heading for a situation where Hamilton will get three reprimands for tiny things and have to serve a ten place grid penalty, whereas Rosberg hasn't suffered anywhere near as much from his two penalties thus far and probably won't from a third, whenever he gets it.

F1 a total mess yet again.

Soldato

Exactly. Had the move been done in isolation then he might have got away with this ham-fisted attempt at an overtake. The fact is he has previous of forcing others off track, and not just in Austria, but twice in Bahrain 2012 too.

Soldato

This... I completely agree. I don't think he tried to run Max off the track, he just didn't want to screw himself badly. He really shouldn't have gone for the move in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom