• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Associate
You would have thought Fast Sync would work better with SLI as higher frames, don't know why they can't enable it!

I've only had a quick glance at the slides relating to fast sync but it's likely because their code is looking through all the frames being rendered and deciding on the fly which of them to pass through to the monitor, so making it perform this operation across multiple video cards is something they just haven't managed yet or perhaps it wouldn't be feasible for some reason, or perhaps it would generate too much overhead to be worth.

Associate
Hi Guys - should I enable fast sync if I already use gsync? What are the benefits?

Here is how it works from what i can see.

With gsync active, and vsync on:

The fps wont go above your refresh rate, and you will have no tearing as you know.

With gsync active and vsync off:

The fps is allowed to go above your refresh rate. Any time the fps is above your refresh rate, gsync is temporarily inactive, but since there's no vsync there is tearing. Any time the fps falls back under your refresh rate, gsync is once again active and tearing will cease.

With gsync active and the new fastsync on:

The fps is allowed to go above your refresh rate. Any time the fps is above your refresh rate, gsync is temporarily inactive, but since there's fastsync there is no tearing. Any time the fps falls back under your refresh rate, gsync is once again active, though since there is no tearing throughout it's harder to notice. Though not impossible - fastsync does seem to lack the buttery smoothness of gsync, and this is more apparent the lower the refresh rate is.

I have found that at 165hz, the periods of gameplay where fastsync is active (fps above 165) are noticeably smoother than the same scenario at 60hz and above 60fps. This sort of makes sense, as in the example of csgo, each second around 300 frames need to be looked at, with 240 discarded and 60 sent to the monitor. Whereas at 165hz, 135 frames are discarded and 165 sent to the monitor. So the lower your refresh rate, the harder it is to send the exact frames that would result in the smoothest frame updates, as the smaller the number of frames to work with the better the algorithm has to be to achieve the smoothest experience. This is no doubt an oversimplification and I'm just going by educated guesses, but this seems to be what I'm seeing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Here is how it works from what i can see.

With gsync active, and vsync on:

The fps wont go above your refresh rate, and you will have no tearing as you know.

With gsync active and vsync off:

The fps is allowed to go above your refresh rate. Any time the fps is above your refresh rate, gsync is temporarily inactive, but since there's no vsync there is tearing. Any time the fps falls back under your refresh rate, gsync is once again active and tearing will cease.

With gsync active and the new fastsync on:

The fps is allowed to go above your refresh rate. Any time the fps is above your refresh rate, gsync is temporarily inactive, but since there's fastsync there is no tearing. Any time the fps falls back under your refresh rate, gsync is once again active, though since there is no tearing throughout it's harder to notice. Though not impossible - fastsync does seem to lack the buttery smoothness of gsync, and this is more apparent the lower the refresh rate is.

I have found that at 165hz, the periods of gameplay where fastsync is active (fps above 165) are noticeably smoother than the same scenario at 60hz and above 60fps. This sort of makes sense, as in the example of csgo, each second around 300 frames need to be looked at, with 240 discarded and 60 sent to the monitor. Whereas at 165hz, 135 frames are discarded and 165 sent to the monitor. So the lower your refresh rate, the harder it is to send the exact frames that would result in the smoothest frame updates, as the smaller the number of frames to work with the better the algorithm has to be to achieve the smoothest experience. This is no doubt an oversimplification and I'm just going by educated guesses, but this seems to be what I'm seeing.

I like Fast-Sync but annoyingly Fast-Sync turns itself off and switches over to standard V-Sync in the NVC every now and then.

Associate
lastest driver totally wrecked witcher 3 and no man's sky for me (single 980ti)

performance was better without the 'experimental' nms beta patch via steam but even that was stuttering all over the place and between 20-30fps about half the time.

Rolled back to 368.81 and it's 60fps constant on both titles at 1440p ultra

first awful driver i've installed with this card, not impressed!

Associate

performance was better without the 'experimental' nms beta patch via steam but even that was stuttering all over the place and between 20-30fps about half the time.

Also on a single 980 Ti and already on 368.81. Came in this thread as I was about to update drivers but having read this I won't bother doing anything in advance of Deus Ex coming out next week unless I run into performance issues in the first place.

Associate

Very strange, I'm in the middle of Blood & Wine and performance is identical on this driver for me, on a 980.

Permabanned
Also on a single 980 Ti and already on 368.81. Came in this thread as I was about to update drivers but having read this I won't bother doing anything in advance of Deus Ex coming out next week unless I run into performance issues in the first place.

Something to do with afr according to a guru3d post. They tweaked the profile in nvidia inspector and fixed it.

Soldato
Anyone else getting black flashes with the 372.54? My GPU is at stock speeds atm, and since upgraded the drivers was getting black flashing in desktop.
Restarted the machine still the same.

Only when I switched the monitor off-on it stopped.

Soldato
My performance has dropped a lot (GTX 980 Ti SLi) since the Windows Anniversary update. Manually updated to the latest drivers with a clean install to see if it would fix but not helping. Anyone else having issues?

Soldato
My performance has dropped a lot (GTX 980 Ti SLi) since the Windows Anniversary update. Manually updated to the latest drivers with a clean install to see if it would fix but not helping. Anyone else having issues?

Im not sure as ive forced myself to not use FPS counters for a while now as i would get to obsessed with the numbers. It feels like however im in the same boat as you but i dont know if its a placebo effect or not and i cannot be bothered to test it out with the limited free time i have on my hands

Soldato

No issues with gaming, but I ran firstrike this evening and my gfx score was about 3k less than normal.

Associate
My gtx 1070 seems to be artifacting @ 144hz even on desktop use.. Seems a few people has it judging by google, I dropped to 120 hz no artifacting..

Back
Top Bottom