old counter strike players?

Associate
Blimey, that was a hell of a necro.

I fondly remember playing pre-source CS. I worked in a games bar (The Playing Fields, near Warren St tube station). Used to play all day, start my shift and work all night, then play another few hours before home for bed/wash/eat/back to the bar!

Best not to look at my grades from that period.

Soldato
Oh yeah, just noticed the six-year gap between posts further up.

Still, no issue as this is a thread for us old gits to reminisce about better times when all this de_vertigo was just fields and we used to sweat our butts off trying to escape from oilrigs. Kids today? Don't know they're born!

Edit: Just noticed I have a badge for having being in the CS community for five years. Hah! Try 16 years, you whippersnapper!

Last edited:
Soldato
One thing I realised when reminiscing to myself about the old CS days is that next year the CS beta a lot of my mates played will be older than the students starting uni...

How's that for making you feel the years?

Soldato
One thing I realised when reminiscing to myself about the old CS days is that next year the CS beta a lot of my mates played will be older than the students starting uni...

How's that for making you feel the years?

Please don't :( One of my best mates has just got himself a new PC after years of just buying Playstations and has been badgering me to download CS Source. This might be the weekend to relive some memories :D

Caporegime
Please don't :( One of my best mates has just got himself a new PC after years of just buying Playstations and has been badgering me to download CS Source. This might be the weekend to relive some memories :D

Be prepared for pure disappointment.

Saying that, source isn't terrible as long as you take it for what it is. Just find a decent server

Associate
Started playing back in 1999 beta 7.1
Used to play on Jolt HPB and barrysworld servers
Living out in the middle of no where it was ages before I got broadband battling it out on a v90 modem (still no plans for fiber here either) :(
Still my favourite game but don't play anywhere near as much as i used to.

Associate
I started CS 1.4 took me all night to download on Dial-up!

Amazing game back in the days. Not so much any more.

Soldato
I used to play around on the old Wireplay and Blue Yonder servers, can't remember what version it was, but was definately before 1.0.

bEPFdVY.jpg

Never changed my name. :p

Caporegime
Not sure why you bumped this without any apparent reason??? Is there something you'd like to add to the topic or are you just trolling?

No different than some of the pointless posts in other threads to be honest, I see no issue. :)

Friend of mine had a mini LAN in his bedroom (four PCs) think he had a couple of Athlon xps then two durons, ran like melting butter.

Associate
I also started playing in 99 when it was beta.
I lived with a Russian guy at uni who loved it.
As we only had one phone line (about 33k tops) he would play a few rounds and I would drink, then swap over.
Also how I got into overclocking as I couldn't afford fast pc.

Started playing csgo recently but I'm much much worse than I used to be. Reaction speed and accuracy at 35 is no use.

Soldato
Is 1.6 OK or do people recommend one of the earlier builds?

I remember playing the first, if not one of the first few alpha builds.

What I remember most is the shopping thing between rounds, not sure that type mechanic existed in other games at the time?

There was only 1 map too, all I remember is a house in the middle, and a car blocking a gate? maybe a junkyard?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom