New essential Android apps thread

Associate
On a health kick at the moment so looking for a new running/cycling app. Currently use Strava and it's excellent but looking for something to help me keep to a certain pace (eg 10min/mile or whatever) Or does Strava does this and I need to go to specsavers?

Anyone have any ideas? Might also try the sports forum as well.

Bonus points if I can transfer my data from Strava too.

Soldato
Does anyone here use a 'Daydream' (aka Screensaver) clock?

The Google/AOSP one would be fine - except in dim mode it goes so dim you can barely see it, and in non dim mode it's way too bright for a bedside table.

There's a few on the play store, but most look horrid with giant faux digital watch displays...

Soldato
Does anyone here use a 'Daydream' (aka Screensaver) clock?

The Google/AOSP one would be fine - except in dim mode it goes so dim you can barely see it, and in non dim mode it's way too bright for a bedside table.

There's a few on the play store, but most look horrid with giant faux digital watch displays...

I used to use it for many years, I settled on the alarm clock Timely, has a nice Daydream mode.

Associate
Soldato
I used to use it for many years, I settled on the alarm clock Timely, has a nice Daydream mode.

Thanks, settled on Always on AMOLED in the end. It's not a daydream clock, but has the option to only come on when plugged in.

Need a call blocker/blacklist as my phone's dialler doesn't have one integrated.

Phone is rooted, any recommendations?

Google's official Phone app has this facility, officially it only works on Nexus phones, but you can get a flashable framework to allow it to install on other phones.

Soldato
Is there anyway to have a seperate Mail icon on the home screen for a sub folder on your email on android.

Also any way to get badge numbers on the mail icon in Android? Like IOS or on Windows Phone.

Soldato
Is there anyway to have a seperate Mail icon on the home screen for a sub folder on your email on android.

Don't think there is but a new API in Android 7.1 seems to allow shortcuts to certain parts of an app.

Also any way to get badge numbers on the mail icon in Android? Like IOS or on Windows Phone.

You'll need to use a 3rd party launcher, Nova Launcher with the TelsaUnread plugin does this.

Soldato
For me I have one folder for important email and another for all trival stuff.

On WP I have can have them as two different icons. The badge lets me if there's anything to read without me getting notifications of the trivial stuff. But I do get notifications of the main email inbox.

Can't seem to set Android up like this.

Thanks for the replies.

Soldato
Soldato
For me I have one folder for important email and another for all trival stuff.

On WP I have can have them as two different icons. The badge lets me if there's anything to read without me getting notifications of the trivial stuff. But I do get notifications of the main email inbox.

Can't seem to set Android up like this.

Thanks for the replies.

That would be more a function of the individual app itself rather than android per se. I do see why that would be useful though...

You can do something pretty similar to this via Gmail by use of the 1x1 Gmail widget - this'll let you create a shortcut to a specific label in Gmail. If you're using Outlook though this doesn't appear to have this function.

Although you can use Gmail with non Gmail accounts (IMAP/POP3/Exchange).

Back
Top Bottom