Poll: Moving a partner into an owned-home? Finances

Options for finances?

• Total voters
Associate
Hey ov,
Any reason you're so keen to put your partner on the house? Guessing it's serious?

If you want to share - I would draw something up with legal assistance stating who has put what into the property. E.g. when my partner and I bought, my parents gave me some extra money so we ensured that the ownership % reflects this. It's not harsh, and I hope we'll be together forever but it's just fair and smart to protect your investments.

You could draw up something similar stating that e.g. 40% of the property is yours (the equity that you own in the house), and that the remaining 60% is split equally (or by whatever ratio) depending on your contributions moving forward? As long as you get out what you put in, that's fine.

I have a couple of friends who we all think are heading for divorce, but he has put everything into their house and now they're married - so he'd lose a lot... It's kind of sad as we think they would have already split up and been happier if they didn't have this financial issue hanging over them.

Make sure what you do is flexible enough to support whatever decisions you end up making without leaving you in any difficulty.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
What a bad attitude you have.

Potentially lose the love of his life? over what? 2 years of equity? he doesnt own the house yet, the bank does.

Come back when the puberty has finished you might have changed your tune.

Come back when you actually stop living in a dream world, this is exactly what happens. First hand experience pup.

Soldato
Come back when you actually stop living in a dream world, this is exactly what happens. First hand experience pup.

Get a grip of yourself, i lost two shops and a house in my divorce, had it all and now work a 9-5 in construction, renting a house from a greedy private landlord.

wouldn't dream of making somebody sign anything to live with me, it's only stuff.

Soldato
Get a grip of yourself, i lost two shops and a house in my divorce, had it all and now work a 9-5 in construction, renting a house from a greedy private landlord.

wouldn't dream of making somebody sign anything to live with me, it's only stuff.

Says the man who lost it.

Not everyone is a sucker like that

Soldato
Buy a property together, both share deposit + mortgage payments on a joint mortgage.

When you get married she'll be entitled to your assets anyway.

No she wont.

Thats not how it works.

There are marital and non marital assets, non marital assets are items and financial interests solely owned by him, that the other party has not contributed to in any way.

For instance, if a member of my family dies, and specifically leaves ME by name £100,000,000 and I deposit that into an account with my name on it and my name only.
My wife is entitled to none of it.

If I put it in an account with both our names on it, it becomes 50% hers.

Houses are different, if you own one house, and you move her in, it becomes the marital home, and it, and any profit from the sale of it are 50% hers.

Associate
Only stuff that you have been working your entire life for and making sacrifices for, all that time spent working etc. The stupidity of some people is shocking.

I'd be going to to see a lawyer and would pay whatever the fees are for a legally binding bullet proof agreement.

Soldato
No she wont.

Thats not how it works.

There are marital and non marital assets, non marital assets are items and financial interests solely owned by him, that the other party has not contributed to in any way.

For instance, if a member of my family dies, and specifically leaves ME by name £100,000,000 and I deposit that into an account with my name on it and my name only.

Houses are different, if you own one house, and you move her in, it becomes the marital home, and it, and any profit from the sale of it are 50% hers.

********. If that was the case then there wouldn't be the need for this thread in the first place.

Man of Honour
No she wont.

Thats not how it works.

If the 100k was left to you before marriage then you are right. But if you inherit it after marriage then your wife is entitled to half.

Soldato
Associate
When my girlfriend moved into my flat, I had a short term tenancy agreement drawn up which we both signed (me as the landlord, her as the tenant) and she pays a small sum of rent every month

Man of Honour
No, here is an actual lawyer telling you are incorrect:

http://www.divorceresource.co.uk/marital-nonmarital-assets.html

I shan't bother linking the 1500 odd other links google provides on the subject that also tell you that you are wrong.

Yes it's possible to separate assets in a marriage. But ultimately a judge will decide on what constitutes marital assets on divorce. It's not a simple matter of paying it into your own account.

You are welcome.

What for?

Back
Top Bottom