Are we seeing a decline in cinemas yet?

If you could guarantee that I am not going to be sharing the cinema with idiots on their mobiles, kids whose parents allow them to talk throughout the entire movie and the stink of what ever the hell that goop they server is (nachos and cheese I think), then I would go more often.

Maybe chance it twice a year timing it late so that its as quiet as possible.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
A visit to the cinema for most people is more than just watching a film. It's the social aspect of it, meetings mates or taking the children out for a treat etc. In that sense, in the same way better ovens and microwave meals won't put restaurants out of business, I don't think better home tech will put cinemas out of business.

Soldato
Go about 3 - 4 times a year, only really bother with big films on IMAX.
Anything else I'd rather watch at home without the coughing / noisy public.

alx

alx

Soldato
I have not been to the cinema in years, in fact I can not even remember the last film I saw at one.

The issue for me is the full cinema experience is not cheap.

Sure you can go and do it on a budget but whats the point of that?

I'm perfectly happy to go in, watch a film, go out - don't see the need to make a big event of it, but that's just me (coke and popcorn is just coke and popcorn after all).

Last edited:
Associate
No decline here in Stoke from my experiences recently.

We have a big and old Odeon, a relatively still newish Vue and a brand new small Cineworld that is only £5 per ticket which is excellent value.

There is also talk of an IMAX going into the new shopping center :D

Caporegime
I enjoy going to the cinema for the big stuff. As already said it's a social thing, catch up with mates, have a chat, enjoy a film together. I go about once every 3 months now and yes, I find their food & drink way, way overpriced but I don't mind it really, it's not like I turn up there and am shocked, you know you're going to get fleeced going there.

Soldato
So do the Cinemas pay a one off fee to get the movie or do they pay the movie company a cut of the ticket sales? or both?

The reason I ask is i'm pretty certain they don't make much from ticket sales alone and maybe that's why they charge extra for fancy seats, over the top pricing for refreshments and shove arcade machines in every available space.

Caporegime
I don't go to the cinema often. But when I do it's more of a social event and we pick a place with a bar. We avoid any popcorn etc a that's massively overpriced. But meeting for a drink before hand and again to talk about the film afterwards is enjoyable. I don't see cinema's declining as long as they offer the social interaction. I've heard that cinema's are doomed since the 1970's and it hasn't happened yet.

I've never known any cinema to have a bar, I must be leading a sheltered life...

Caporegime
I hate cinemas for staggering releases, i mean come on its the digital age for christ's sake, soon we'll have drones flying us our groceries but i still have to waltz over to an overly expensive cinema just to watch a probably mediocre movie.

Man of Honour
No decline here in Stoke from my experiences recently.

We have a big and old Odeon, a relatively still newish Vue and a brand new small Cineworld that is only £5 per ticket which is excellent value.

There is also talk of an IMAX going into the new shopping center :D

But we lost the Odeon & Gaumont in Hanley plus the Plaza in Fenton, Alambra in Normacot and one in Meir.

Caporegime
Easy to get caught out like that - I go to the pictures maybe two or three times a year and the time before last I went, there were no adverts, no trailers, it just went straight into the main film. I was utterly amazed. So were the people who turned up when the film had been running for twenty minutes.

Then I'll just turn round and go home and go back next day. :p

I've not missed the start yet.

Soldato
I have an Unlimited card at £20 a month and have gone around 40 times this year. As far as I'm concerned I use it enough to warrant the cost and being London based there's plenty of cinemas. Picturehouse nearby is also £5 a film for me and I'll pop along sometimes. I do miss the art deco type cinemas you get those, there's a few around London but I won't pay £15+ when I already have my card

Never understood people going on about cinemas being incredibly loud and irritating, in the years I've gone I can only think of one occasion where some guys at the back were smoking during Winter Soldier. You lot must be far too fickle.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm perfectly happy to go in, watch a film, go out - don't see the need to make a big event of it, but that's just me (coke and popcorn is just coke and popcorn after all).

I guess thats where we a different.

If I am to leave my nice warm, comfy home with Netflix, Amazon, Plex and Sky Movies to go and watch a film it needs to be a big event.

The film could turn out to be a ****, as could the people im sharing the screen with.

At least I could find comfort in a big bag of pop corn, tray of nachos, bag of haribo and a huge full fat coke :D

Man of Honour
Never understood people going on about cinemas being incredibly loud and irritating, in the years I've gone I can only think of one occasion where some guys at the back were smoking during Winter Soldier. You lot must be far too fickle.

Fickle?! Was that the word you meant to use? :p

Caporegime
I guess thats where we a different.

If I am to leave my nice warm, comfy home with Netflix, Amazon, Plex and Sky Movies to go and watch a film it needs to be a big event.

The film could turn out to be a ****, as could the people im sharing the screen with.

At least I could find comfort in a big bag of pop corn, tray of nachos, bag of haribo and a huge full fat coke :D

I have Prime, Netflix, Crunchyroll, Sky, Kodi and 7.1 but I would not buy all that stuff at the cinema. No directed this at you but I hate sitting near someone with a lot of food. Food like nacho and popcorn is just a noise machine and the plastic bags are just irritating. Not to mention the smell.

I don't want people make noise and so I don't buy food and go in and do it to others.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The pricing is still a rip off tbh.

Extra for 3D
Extra for Comfy seats
Small mortgate for popcorn
Larger mortgage for Booze

Must be at least £50 for a family of 4

Back
Top Bottom