The last game you completed, and rating.

Soldato
Firewatch

Probably rate it 7/10. Really good intro, probably one of the more unique ones this year. Story starts to build well and the conversations and dialogue system works amazingly. Then the game just falls flat for the last 30 minutes of so. I guess the story is more about the journey than the end but it could have done a bit more to help it stick in my mind

Soldato
The Stanley Parable

After getting and selling a lot of Steam cards I had a free (I guess?) £2 in my wallet and finally picked up this game. It was fantastic! It's been a while since I enjoyed something this much.

Granted it is short, there are 19 endings, and has zero reply value once you have explored all aspects of it. As a game it is very different and I'd highly recommend it if you want something unusual.

I'd quite like to play something else quirky like that now.

Soldato
Seen a few mentions of Crysis and I tried that, but I got about the equivalent of 50 meters inb the game and got to a sort of small chest high waterfall and I never managed to get over it. I gave up on the game and Never went back to it.

Same with BF3... I got as far as trying to get back into the window on the very first level and kept geting killed and again... Never bothered to play any further.

What is even more silly, is that I have also boguth the versions AFTER those and Im not going to play them until I have completed the ones Im stuck on, and yet I have no intention of ever trying to play them again? - Im a bit mental like that?

maximum strength, then jump lol

Man of Honour
Counterstrike Condition Zero: Deleted Scenes 4/10

+Decent array of weapons
+Couple of good levels
+Passable botmatch
+Good performance

-Poor graphics, in particular the textures/environments are low res, and animation a bit dodgy on AI characters etc
-Levels are generally quite cramped and poorly designed, no better than we saw in the 90s
-Irregular ammo pacing
-Lacks any storyline or continuity between missions
-AI teammates seem underutilised
-Botmatch campaign has some annoying objectives, I remember one match I was dominating like 10-1 but still struggling to achieve one of them (win round in 45s or something daft)

Considering this game was released the same year as Far Cry, Doom 3 and Halflife 2, it is pretty poor really, there is no comparison in quality to those games.

Caporegime
Environmental Station Alpha - 7/10

First half of the game - 9/10
Second half - 4/10 (maximum frustration)

The dev made a fantastic Metroidvania game, then couldn't resist adding more "content" after the game was done. Unfortunately this content muddles the game and somewhat spoils it for new players, since it was primarily intended for those who had completed it already.

A complete lack of information as to what you're supposed to do in the 2nd half also leads to frustration and, eventually, looking it up online. The first half is, by contrast, intuitive and fun.

A game to spend 10-15 hours on, see the first (bad) ending, then move on. The "good" endings aren't worth the frustration and work it takes to get them.

Soldato
Titanfall 2. Probably the most enjoyable single player game in the last 5 years (imo). 10/10
So good in fact, I've done it twice now.
I have to echo this statement, never really bothered with the first, just didnt seem like something i'd enjoy, but i took a punt at this and it just clicked for me, absolutely fantastic SP experience.

Caporegime
Quake (Episode 5: Dimensions of the Past) 9/10.

+ a new episode! :cool:
+ interesting/good level design
+ quite a challenge on nightmare difficulty
+ decent number of maps for one episode (8)

- minor nitpick, but the odd secret seemed a little too easy to locate to really be classified as a secret

Last edited:
Soldato
The Evil Within. Wow what a game that was! Loved every minute of it. Yes the character you play has a wooden personality and the story is a bit hard to follow but that all adds to the general feeling of WTF you have throughout the entire game. This is what I was hoping the new Resident Evil would be like so for me, that itch has been scratched even if I have actually pre-ordered RE7. Respect and thanks to the guy who made Flawless Widescreen that allowed me to play this at 3440x1440 with the letter box removed - a stunning looking game that ran between 55 and 80 FPS with my Fury X.

10/10 - a masterpiece for me.
19 hours 38 minutes completion time
99 deaths!

Will definitely be looking out for the DLC levels and have another bit of a play through with my newly unlocked machine gun and rocket launcher!!

Only £4.94 for another few hours in the Steam sale...

Soldato
Just finished CoD IW... No idea why i bought it, i've not really been a CoD fan since the original MW, but for some reason i spotted it cheap and though **** it why not...
Well, lesson learned, I found it pretty frustrating, far too many intrusive cutscenes, this is a game, games should tell the story through bloody game play, if i wanted to watch a movie I would, i'm not completely against cutscenes, if implemented properly they can be very interesting and provide value to the story, but when what feels like almost a third of game time is spent with no control of the character it gets a bit infuriating.
on top of that i didnt really feel engaged by any of the characters.
It wasnt a terrible game, there was definitely potential there for an good game, some reasonable storyline, some decent battles, but for the love of god give me control, just let me ******* play.
5/10 at best.

PS the Lewis Hamilton cameo made me cringe so hard, and i'm a Hamilton fan... added no value and felt like getting a famous face in there just for the hell of it.

Man of Honour
Quake (Episode 5: Dimensions of the Past) 9/10.

+ a new episode! :cool:
+ interesting/good level design
+ quite a challenge on nightmare difficulty
+ decent number of maps for one episode (8)

- minor nitpick, but the odd secret seemed a little too easy to locate to really be classified as a secret

I thought the ammo balancing was a bit off in DOPA; at the end I basically had to face one of the shamblers with no nails, rockets or cells. There were a couple of other points too where I had to resort to axe or backtrack for ages in search of an ammo box. I know ammo conservation is a skill but it removes the fun factor a little if you are having to e.g. shoot nails one at a time to make sure you don't waste any.

Also I felt a lot of the game was just a little bit too enclosed (tight corridors etc). I know the Quake engine is really bad at handling open areas but on modern hardware they could have made it a bit less claustrophobic / awkward at times. By all means have some cramped sections to play to monster strengths but it got a bit tiresome after a while; on the occasions I got caught out it just meant on reloading the save I'd know exactly what to expect.

Finally and not a criticism of the mod as it is outside their control, but one of the issues I did notice compared to most games was there is no autosave in Quake and you lose all your weapons when restarting a level, so you have to remember to save manually.

Caporegime
I thought the ammo balancing was a bit off in DOPA; at the end I basically had to face one of the shamblers with no nails, rockets or cells. There were a couple of other points too where I had to resort to axe or backtrack for ages in search of an ammo box. I know ammo conservation is a skill but it removes the fun factor a little if you are having to e.g. shoot nails one at a time to make sure you don't waste any.

I'm inclined to agree about the ammo balancing, though I didn't find it too bad, I suppose.

Also I felt a lot of the game was just a little bit too enclosed (tight corridors etc). I know the Quake engine is really bad at handling open areas but on modern hardware they could have made it a bit less claustrophobic / awkward at times. By all means have some cramped sections to play to monster strengths but it got a bit tiresome after a while

I must admit, I hadn't considered that but now you come to mention it, I guess I can see what you mean. Speaking of the Quake engine with regard to open areas, I'm currently playing the Arcane Dimensions mod, and the stuttery performance on some levels is very, very bad (despite the fps reading high in certain instances).

Soldato
The Evil Within. Wow what a game that was! Loved every minute of it. Yes the character you play has a wooden personality and the story is a bit hard to follow but that all adds to the general feeling of WTF you have throughout the entire game. This is what I was hoping the new Resident Evil would be like so for me, that itch has been scratched even if I have actually pre-ordered RE7. Respect and thanks to the guy who made Flawless Widescreen that allowed me to play this at 3440x1440 with the letter box removed - a stunning looking game that ran between 55 and 80 FPS with my Fury X.

10/10 - a masterpiece for me.
19 hours 38 minutes completion time
99 deaths!

Will definitely be looking out for the DLC levels and have another bit of a play through with my newly unlocked machine gun and rocket launcher!!

Only £4.94 for another few hours in the Steam sale...

Maybe I need to just buy the game. I found the demo somewhat frustrating but maybe it gets better past the opening few sections? Hobbling about wounded just irritates me in games, not sure why!

Soldato
Rise of the Tomb Raider 8.5/10

Really enjoyable experience, with stunning visuals - seemed well optimised and ran nicely on my rig.

There seemed to be some issues with lag when aiming and firing freely at moving targets (that bloody crow used up way too much ammo). Not sure if this was down to playing on Steam Link but searching online suggests not. I also thought the finale was a bit weak and felt a bit too "arcade-y"

Can't wait for the next one!

Soldato
Maybe I need to just buy the game. I found the demo somewhat frustrating but maybe it gets better past the opening few sections? Hobbling about wounded just irritates me in games, not sure why!

Yeah the first chapter is quite different from the rest of the game - I also thought 'Oh no, not another Outlast type clone' when I was playing it but I was very wrong. You are not injured in the next chapter and won't be to the same extent as in the first level again throughout the game.

Back
Top Bottom