The last game you completed, and rating.

Soldato
Apart from Ethan Carter and Dear Ester are there any others along the same lines as this that anyone would recommend?

:)

Not played these, but they both look interesting to some extent:

Gone Home
That Dragon Cancer

Only 'walking sim' I've played is Spate. It's a 2d (or 2.5d) sidescroller with limited platforming. Really enjoyed the atmosphere. It's pretty short.

Soldato
I went for:
The same. Sacrificed Chloe, i found it really annoying how apparently you haven't seen this friend for 5 years, even though you live in the same town and now all of a sudden you wont leave her side.
I also accused Nathan and got him expelled, took the charity money to pay frank and left the gun there when i found it in his RV

I think max moved to the city for 5 years and came back to attend Blackwell?

Could be wrong

Yea it was all a bit forced imo, still, glad I saw it through but ultimately a bit disappointing

I got him expelled too, left the money and frank gave Chloe back the gun when you visit him in chapter 4 (I think)

Soldato
Ori and the Blind Forest
7/10

Fun but also frustrating game. Some bits are a nightmare and required upwards of 20 attempts to get past.

Recently started playing this and just managed to get past one of the really tricky bits, took me ages! I'm gonna try to keep going but I am finding it almost too frustrating at times.

Caporegime
Axiom Verge - 8/10

A really, really solid Metroid game. The ending was a bit naff for me - I dislike endings which leave you with more questions than answers, and everything is left to "interpretation". It's so over-used these days. I miss a good conclusion where loose ends are tied up, not tossed to the wind.

On normal most of the game was pretty easy. Bosses included.

Ori and the Blind Forest
7/10

Fun but also frustrating game. Some bits are a nightmare and required upwards of 20 attempts to get past.

Playing this next!

Soldato
I liked Dear Esther but found Ethan Carter to be dull. Seems massively overrated to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

+1 for Stanley Parable, great little game.

Ori is awesome. People finding it frustrating obviously aren't old enough to remember when games were all really hard! :p

Caporegime
Don't get the love for Stanley Parable.

Personally I found it to be a contender for the worst game I've ever played. But that would require it to be a game, and it assuredly is not :p

Soldato
Just finished Firewatch... 8/10
Turely beautiful and emotional game, graphics are simplistic but atmospheric, the story is gripping, the way the mystery builds is great, the brilliant voice acting all adds to the atmosphere.
I'm going to say it, the game was short(4-5hrs) and the ending of the story was a little bit anticlimatic, but im fine with that, because I still finished the game feeling content.

Firewatch was a very nice experience.

Soldato
Life is Strange - 7/10

I lost interest toward the end, but it was a good solid game. Better gameplay than the Telltale games, but the characters weren't quite as good and the dialogue got a bit tedious after a while.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do next.

Soldato
Just finished Firewatch... 8/10
Turely beautiful and emotional game, graphics are simplistic but atmospheric, the story is gripping, the way the mystery builds is great, the brilliant voice acting all adds to the atmosphere.
I'm going to say it, the game was short(4-5hrs) and the ending of the story was a little bit anticlimatic, but im fine with that, because I still finished the game feeling content.

Firewatch was a very nice experience.

It's on sale right now (£8.99) so I've picked it up on the strength of your review. :cool:

Associate
Brothers. 8/10. Original controls, cute story. 4 hours long. The final quarter was abrupt and fairly upsetting, not really what I expected but not in such a bad way.

Ran wonderfully on lenovo flex1 laptop with Intel Integrated HD 4400. Sister wasn't so lucky -- in one chapter, she got this black shadow graphics bug on her Dell Inspiron with HD 4000.

Associate
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons 10/10

A really wonderful game, I can't rate it high enough especially if you get it like me during the Steam sale when it was less than £2 :)

Soldato
Singularity. Awesome little game, cool idea for the story, cool weapons and combat and you gotta love the alternate endings. Seemed a bit short at 10 hours but then that was partly because it was so much fun and I didn't want it to end. 8.5/10

Soldato
Dishonored 2

Didn't start too promisingly. The way it crowbarred an opening so similar to the previous game and set you up in such a similar way didn't bode well for the game's creativity or originality.

In truth, the overall story did feel a bit of a depserate way to make the game's structure mirror the first game. I thought Daud's story was handled better as a follow-up.

BUT... the art, the level design, the synergy between world layout, enemies, your powers, the options you can take, the cool unscripted outcomes that just occur to surprise you organically from the world, the whole atmosphere of the gaslight fantasy world... all this was brilliantly done, the gameplay consistenly offered different options and it was enjoyable just to breathe in the setting.

Some levels were especially inventive (Clockwork Mansion, the old manor) and overall I can't remember a game where I was as impressed with the level design.

Still, I was a bit underwhelmed with the variety of powers, on Corvo at least. There were a lot of options, and while it was fun to play around with them from time to time, it was too easy to settle into one playstyle relying only on one or two powers. Some better balance in this or some effort to jolt you out of staying in one playstyle would have lent a bit more lasting appeal I think. I only used bend time and possession as fun diversions, but mostly it was just blink and dark vision all the way - upgraded blink with its ability to freeze time when you aim it felt a bit overpowered just on its own.

Also, it did get a bit tedious hunting down all the runes and charms, which were often just plain awkward to reach (yes, it's 5m away, but how do I get to it). This irked a completionist like me a bit (got them all in the end, though!).

Overall, the level design and atmosphere shine brightly through the flaws for me. I really had a blast playing it, and I'll almost certainly do a run through with Emily aiming to use different powers and a more direct playstyle. Not quite a 9/10, but damn close... so I guess I'd rate it 8.5/10.

Back
Top Bottom