electric heater for camping

Associate
Your best bet is a small oil-filled radiator to keep the heat off and stay safe, you could also look at tubular heaters.

Are you camping at a location with mains electric? If so you need to check that the site will allow mains to be run into a tent, you also need to make sure that you use a properly wired and RCD protected mains feed into the tent.

Associate
OP
Your best bet is a small oil-filled radiator to keep the heat off and stay safe, you could also look at tubular heaters.

Are you camping at a location with mains electric? If so you need to check that the site will allow mains to be run into a tent, you also need to make sure that you use a properly wired and RCD protected mains feed into the tent.

Yes they do, tent has an electric inlet flap too and have an rcd power lead. Last couple of years it generally can get cold and just want a heater to take the chill off first thing in morning or at night, not going to leave it on overnight or unattended.

Would a fan heater be okay for this, oil filled seem quite bulky and tight on room

Last edited:
Associate
A fan heater has more risks but I've used one in a trailer tent in the past, got very warm!

The mini oil radiators aren't much bigger than a fan heater, although they do weigh more, and they will provide a much better background heat that can be controlled on a thermostat.

Caporegime
You put your next days clothes either in the bag with you or under you while you sleep.
I don't see the point of camping with heaters and TVs. Just go stay in a caravan or B&B.

Always use mine as a pillow if I take any at all. Normally one set lasts me a few days. Anyone with me.won't notice the stink because they'll stink by that point too.

Also whys this in home and garden? Surely it's the very opposite?

Soldato
I've always found zippo brand stuff are great for outdoor heating and bushmills does a passable range of interior heating options.

Initially thought that was a references to Irish whisky. (really not?)

..you probably already have the insulating sleeping pad eg.thermarest. to prevent heat loss to the ground, silk sleeping bag inner too for extra degrees - but yes with a mummy 4 season sleeping bag pulled up around head you do not get cold.
The tent does not have cavity wall after all, and I am sceptical that heat from a heater would not be lost very quickly.

Associate
I have a caravan, went away to Durham over new year in a crisp -7, wouldn't fancy that in a tent. No electric where we camped either.

IMG_20161228_080758.jpg

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Modern day sleeping bags are just way to warm these days.

I just use a 3 season and a fleece liner for the occasions i brave tents and snow.

Soldato
I know you asked for electric but if its just to take the chill off then have you considered a gas heater?

I went with the Campingaz BlueCat though stock seems limited now. But I think something like that would be perfect for you.

Dont recommend someone uses gas in a tent. :mad:

as above I'd never ever recommend one of these if your tempted go and watch a video of a modern tent burning then decide if you still want one!

Back
Top Bottom