Rocket League Scammer

Soldato
Some guy tricked my son into giving him a hard earned "special car" with the promise of a level boost.

Difficult to understand what has actually gone on here, since he's only 7.

I see trading is part of rocket league. Can anyone explain what is likely to have happened and if there's anything that can be done?

Also, can anybody give any tips on how to avoid this kind of thing again? (other than blocking all online communication)

Soldato
Sadly not much that can be done other than preventing communication. Or just keep trading within friends.

If you want to get the car for your kid again there is the rocket leaguer exchange where you can buy most things for money or in-game keys. Sadly you might be buying it back.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Sounds like someone asked him to trade the car in exchange for being boosted, and your unfortunately young naive son fell for it.

Ground rules: don't trade, period.

Soldato
OP
Sadly not much that can be done other than preventing communication. Or just keep trading within friends.

If you want to get the car for your kid again there is the rocket leaguer exchange where you can buy most things for money or in-game keys. Sadly you might be buying it back.

Sounds like someone asked him to trade the car in exchange for being boosted, and your unfortunately young naive son fell for it.

Ground rules: don't trade, period.

Yes, exactly this is what happened it seems.

Rocket league cars are all the same anyway its only the skin thats different so you havn't really lost anything, just use the default cars.

Thanks a lot guys.

The scammer was on his friend list ( will put a stop to this obviously) and weirdly explained everything to me. He seemed to be unnerved when I mentioned that I'd reported him to the Steam Community but came back with "what I've done isn't bannable, what your son has done is". I pointed out that my son whilst wanting to get boosted hasn't actually done anything and is clearly not capable of using a hacked client.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Yes, exactly this is what happened it seems.

Thanks a lot guys.

The scammer was on his friend list ( will put a stop to this obviously) and weirdly explained everything to me. He seemed to be unnerved when I mentioned that I'd reported him to the Steam Community but came back with "what I've done isn't bannable, what your son has done is". I pointed out that my son whilst wanting to get boosted hasn't actually done anything and is clearly not capable of using a hacked client.
Your lad's been scammed, albeit very loosely. Still worth reporting this "friend"'s account to Steam and hopefully they'll remove his rights to trading for a while.

Soldato

That's because he knows nothing will happen and also what he is saying is true. Scamming is not a bannable offense, Psyonix won't get involved in it.

http://psyonix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=301175#p301175

That's a dev. Steam reporting will do nothing either (at least not without proof and never seen anything come from steam reports with Rocket league even with proof). Boosting on the otherhand, is something Psyonix will take action against (boosting is generally either someone else playing on your account to get you to a higher rank, or playing with you, possibly on a smurf account to carry you into the higher ranks, nothing to do with a hacked client) and reset accounts/prevent you getting end of season rewards.

Sucks, but that's how it is. Nothing at all you can do.

Back
Top Bottom