Tesla

Man of Honour
Electric vehicles are pretty much a useless thing for me (and anyone else who lives in a house without a drive or a garage). Where the hell would I charge it? Leave a cable running from the house, through the letterbox and across the pavement? Yeah, that's going to go down well with the local yobbos and the dumb ***** who trips over it and sue the crap out of me. What happens if I can't park outside of my house for some reason?
simlpy not for you yet, however on street charging soon or probably later will become normal.
although some have got round it by charging at work. they can get grants to install and then some charge a minimal fee per month to charge.

Man of Honour
The day 'charging at work' becomes the norm is the day the government treat it as BIK and you get taxed on it.
you saying this is an issue?
Government has to raise taxes, and evs will be taxed eventually the same as petrol. just like any new technology, early adaptors get helping hand but eventually government will have to make money one way or another.

Soldato
Electric vehicles are pretty much a useless thing for me (and anyone else who lives in a house without a drive or a garage). Where the hell would I charge it? Leave a cable running from the house, through the letterbox and across the pavement? Yeah, that's going to go down well with the local yobbos and the dumb ***** who trips over it and sue the crap out of me. What happens if I can't park outside of my house for some reason?

This is where kerbside charging ports or some other technical solution would have to come into play. Nobody's forcing you to get one right now though.

Caporegime
Oh just bugger off with your condescension. :rolleyes: if anything you're close minded.

I'm with you on this one. I suspect that leccy motors are here to stay, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a small portable form of generation invented in the next 25 years when we realise just how expensive and difficult it is to provide every car on the road with batteries. If certain corners of the internet are to be believed, we're already running low on raw materials for batteries.

Associate
Government has to raise taxes, and evs will be taxed eventually the same as petrol. just like any new technology, early adaptors get helping hand but eventually government will have to make money one way or another.

I don't have a problem with governments collecting taxes, I do have a problem with governments collecting taxes in the most complicated way possible which hides the true level of taxation and makes avoidance easier for the haves at the expense of the have nots.

Man of Honour
I don't have a problem with governments collecting taxes, I do have a problem with governments collecting taxes in the most complicated way possible which hides the true level of taxation and makes avoidance easier for the haves at the expense of the have nots.
I agree with you there, unfortuntley this is government and I cant see things changing in that aspect.

here's a 40min Ted interview with Elon, boring company, tesla, spacex and well all things Elon in general.
class 8 long range HGV to be revealed in September.

https://www.ted.com/talks/elon_musk_the_future_we_re_building_and_boring#t-344316

Soldato
This is pretty much it, taxes are starting to be applied in some US states. Though (dons tin foil hat) most of those states have heavy ties to the fossil fuel industry. Believe what you want to believe there....

If certain corners of the internet are to be believed, we're already running low on raw materials for batteries.
Fairly sure that current estimates say we will first run out of steal before lithium. Though both can be recycled, I wouldn't be too worried.

This is it though as fuel consumption starts to fall the cash needs to be raised. There is only so far you can push fuel duty as the more you push it the more people will go electric.

As electric is a utility and is governed by a whole load of regulation and law, it will be difficult to put a levy through on the fuel its self. It is much harder to distinguish between the electric the house uses and what the car uses without specific equipment and the equipment can be easily bypassed. Also most people could get away charging on a 3 pin plug for their daily use. The money will have to be raised somehow.

Caporegime
I agree with you there, unfortuntley this is government and I cant see things changing in that aspect.

here's a 40min Ted interview with Elon, boring company, tesla, spacex and well all things Elon in general.
class 8 long range HGV to be revealed in September.

https://www.ted.com/talks/elon_musk_the_future_we_re_building_and_boring#t-344316

Thanks for sharing this. Musk is such a cartoon character, he makes claims that no other person could even conceive and he sticks to them. "Yeah well our truck tug of war any diesel truck uphill" and "our rocket will have four times the thrust of Saturn 5".

The world needs more people like him.

Man of Honour
Indeed. I spoke at an innovation conference and the amount of people that are so close minded and dare I say it boring despite being leaders in various firms was astounding. UK plc needs people like him to create that disruptive behaviour to challenge the status quo and bring in new ideas.

Soldato
The day 'charging at work' becomes the norm is the day the government treat it as BIK and you get taxed on it.

Yep, once EVs are mainstream you know it will get taxed to death. They will say they need the cash to pay for more power stations, because the UK apparently only runs with 5% overhead (which isn't enough if everyone buys EVs).

Man of Honour
Thanks for sharing this. Musk is such a cartoon character, he makes claims that no other person could even conceive and he sticks to them. "Yeah well our truck tug of war any diesel truck uphill" and "our rocket will have four times the thrust of Saturn 5".

The world needs more people like him.

He seems to be an amazing guy. Showing what can be done with a little imagination.

Associate
Yep, once EVs are mainstream you know it will get taxed to death. They will say they need the cash to pay for more power stations, because the UK apparently only runs with 5% overhead (which isn't enough if everyone buys EVs).

This isn't necessarily an issue providing..... providing the government track power generation to power demands and build accordingly. Afterall why build a power station (with a finite life span) to generate power you don't actually need.

Anyway back to tesla. Interesting cars, unfortunately typical tesla drivers I have had the fortune of interacting with have been, how can I put it politely..... a bit needy in a rich kids of instgram kind of way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom