Poll: Hand washing...

How do you wash your hands after the toilet?

• Cold water and soap/handwash

Votes: 99 28.4%
  • Hot water and soap/handwash

Votes: 205 58.7%
  • Antibac gel.

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • I don't because im a tramp.....

Votes: 36 10.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Poll???

How do you wash your hands after the toilet?

Cold water and soap.

Hot water and soap.

Antibac gel.

I dont because im a tramp.....

My wife thinks its pointless as i just used antibac liquid soap thing and cold water, says it wont work, i have to use hot water!?

Caporegime
yeah I suspect it makes naff all difference whether you use warm water or not - it is more just that it is comfortable to use warm water than freezing cold water

Man of Honour
Depends a bit what I do - if its just a quick job and I've not really touched anything rinse under cold - anything else I use warm water and soap.

49c is easily tolerable. Not sure it's hot enough to kill most bacteria though.

Can't remember the exact numbers but IIRC you need like 2 minutes of continual exposure to kill most bacteria at that temperature.

EDIT: Its longer than that - can take upto 30 minutes to kill all pathogens at 70C never mind 49C.

Soldato
hot water & liquid soap,then hand sanitizer once back in the office.

Even then I'm concerned about touching the door handle in the work toilets as so many tramps don't bother washing after taking a leak or a dump.

Last edited:
Caporegime
49c is easily tolerable. Not sure it's hot enough to kill most bacteria though.

It was the answer in the first result in google under "Bacteria die temperature"

However....looking more into it...the real answer also have to take into account the type of bacteria, time and duration.

it is depend on the type of the bacteria itself..
example of anaerobic bacterias are E. coli and Staphylococcus aureus which are facultative anaerobic or Colostridium botulinum which is obligate anaerobic..
They are mesophilic bacterias which has around 48 degree centigrade of maximum temperature for their growth..
Most of the pathogenic bacterias are belong to the mesohilic group, but there are also some which are thermophilic which has around 60 degree centigrade of maximum growth temperature. Therefore, heat treatment which is widely known as "pasteurization" is often considered as the easiest and applicable yet effective method to reduce microbiolocial contamination in raw foods.
The temperature used is around 63 - 65 degree centigrade (30 minutes) for or 73 - 75 degree centigrade(15 seconds). But it can also be increased up to 90 degree for some minutes (called high pasteurization) depend on the initial number of contamination or other purposes such as manufacturing the food into the fermented products. [accessed May 10, 2017].

This depend on a property called the decimal reduction time or D-value, which is different from an organism to another and sterilisation (killing) times are based on this. The D value is also specific to a temperature. Therefore when quoting D-values for an organism, the temperature must also be quoted, usually as a subscript to the "D".
e.g. For Clostridium botulinum (the anaerobic most serious one from public health point of view), D121 = 0.2 min.

The most usual decimal reduction is a "12D" reduction i.e. N0/N = 10^12 and log N0/N =12. The sterilisation (killing) time is often referred to as the "F number". F is the product of the D-value and the decimal reduction. Thus, for a 12D reduction, F = 12 DT. Because C. botulinum is the basis of most food sterilisations, the F value is determined on the basis of a reference temperature of 121° C. In such cases, F is usually designated F0.
e.g. For a 12 D reduction of clostridium botulinum, F0 = 12 x 0.2 = 2.4 min.
[accessed May 10, 2017].

So it doesn't seem like a splash under the tap with hot water will be enough.

Back
Top Bottom