The Return of the 'King'

Associate
As we all know adaptations of The Dark Tower, IT, The Mist TV series and Mr.Mercedes TV series are releasing this year, I think its safe to say the Master of Horror is back on our screens with a vengeance.

After many poor King adaptations over the past couple years, I think Hollywood are finally realizing that recent horror films and remakes are not shocking audiences, making enough money and are lacking originality, it was time to bring back King's masterpieces to our screens in a big way.

It's about time. All hail the King!

What upcoming Stephen King adaptation are you most excited for?
Favorite King adaptation?
Least Favorite?
Novel or short story you would like to see adapted for the big or small screen?

Last edited:
Soldato

The Dark Tower. Hope it's good.

Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile rank as two of my Favourites.

Least Favorite?

Most of them. Not a big fan of Horror Movies/TV. A lot of them were cheesy B movies too.

The Long Walk or the Rage might be good, but I really would like to see The Talisman made into a movie/TV show.

Associate
Don't forget 1922 (crime drama original movie) and Gerald's Game (movie again) are both in production.

Looking forward to seeing the new version of IT and curious to see how they make Gerald's Game work.

Favourite King adaptation? Difficult, probably The Green Mile or Stand By Me - both fairly in line with the source material.

Least favourite - probably The Langoliers, just feels so hokey.

I'd love to see that much rumoured Spielberg (or Darabont not fussy!) adaptation of The Talisman - that book (and it's sequel Black House) is crying out for the movie treatment.

I also picked up and read quite a few of Joe Hill's books, his style is very much like his fathers - they're adapting his book Nos4a2 into a TV movie, the movie version of Horns wasn't that bad either with The Fireman being in development. Not forgetting that Locke & Key is also being developed for TV too!

How about most underrated adaptation? Probably Cycle of the Werewolf/Silver Bullet - always a bit fond of that movie.

But I still have quite a few that I've not seen: Cell (I've heard it's not a great movie), Bag of Bones (never got around to see it) and 1408 (again just keep missing it).

Associate
OP
Don't forget 1922 (crime drama original movie) and Gerald's Game (movie again) are both in production.

Looking forward to seeing the new version of IT and curious to see how they make Gerald's Game work.

Favourite King adaptation? Difficult, probably The Green Mile or Stand By Me - both fairly in line with the source material.

Least favourite - probably The Langoliers, just feels so hokey.

I'd love to see that much rumoured Spielberg (or Darabont not fussy!) adaptation of The Talisman - that book (and it's sequel Black House) is crying out for the movie treatment.

I also picked up and read quite a few of Joe Hill's books, his style is very much like his fathers - they're adapting his book Nos4a2 into a TV movie, the movie version of Horns wasn't that bad either with The Fireman being in development. Not forgetting that Locke & Key is also being developed for TV too!

How about most underrated adaptation? Probably Cycle of the Werewolf/Silver Bullet - always a bit fond of that movie.

But I still have quite a few that I've not seen: Cell (I've heard it's not a great movie), Bag of Bones (never got around to see it) and 1408 (again just keep missing it).
Ahh yeah I forgot about 1922 and Gerald's Game, really excited to see how that works out.

The Talisman and Black House would make a great film, sure I read somewhere that a script is in earlier development.

Joe Hill is really good, I recently got my Dad The Fireman for his birthday, he loves it, the adaptation would be great if done correctly.

Cell is not very good, not seen Bag of Bones but heard it was awful and 1408 is not bad, quite scary actually.

Associate
Forgot to mention - they're remaking Firestarter too.

That was the first novel from King I read. After that I binged Salem's Lot, The Shining and Carrie in the space of a month I think, that was early 80's, I've read most of his stuff - only the stuff he published not long after his accident I struggled to read - I actually didn't finish Cell (probably a reason why I've not rushed to watch the movie) and only read the first chapter of Under the Dome (skipped the TV series too). However 11.22.63 for me was a return to form, loved that book. More so the Bill Hodges Trilogy.

I'm currently re-reading The Stand (extended edition).

You're correct about The Talisman - it's currently in development as a 6 hour TV series, but it's plagued by producers and directors leaving the project, so not hopefully we'll see anything for a long time yet.

Associate
OP
Forgot to mention - they're remaking Firestarter too.

That was the first novel from King I read. After that I binged Salem's Lot, The Shining and Carrie in the space of a month I think, that was early 80's, I've read most of his stuff - only the stuff he published not long after his accident I struggled to read - I actually didn't finish Cell (probably a reason why I've not rushed to watch the movie) and only read the first chapter of Under the Dome (skipped the TV series too). However 11.22.63 for me was a return to form, loved that book. More so the Bill Hodges Trilogy.

I'm currently re-reading The Stand (extended edition).

You're correct about The Talisman - it's currently in development as a 6 hour TV series, but it's plagued by producers and directors leaving the project, so not hopefully we'll see anything for a long time yet.
I read rumors that The Stand was due for a remake for TV as the original TV film was quite bad.

A good few of King's novels and short stories need either remaking or need adapting with big budgets and good directors and scripts.

I loved 11.22.63 TV series with James Franco, was done really well.

Associate
The Stand is probably my favorite King book I've read. Read it at least two or three times. Vaguely recall seeing a low budget tv series (or was it a movie?) based on it years ago but it wasn't good.

Associate
Dolores Claibourne, was that one of his ?

Yes it was - that's a film I've not seen yet either - but one I wanted too, I'd forgotten about that one!

The Stand is probably my favourite King book I've read. Read it at least two or three times. Vaguely recall seeing a low budget tv series (or was it a movie?) based on it years ago but it wasn't good.

Yep, stared Gary Sinise, Molly Ringwold, Miguel Ferrer, Matt Frewer and Rob Lowe - I didn't think it was that bad (certainly less hammy than IT - imo - only Tim Curry saved that version). King always said The Stand was a firm fan favourite, but it wasn't his.

Associate
OP
Dolores Claiborne is really good, like you said Bates is brilliant. Misery is up their with one of my favorite King films, one of the most suspenseful scenes I've ever seen involving 'Sheldon' escaping the room always has my heart beating. Executed brilliantly.

How could I have forgot about Castle Rock by JJ Abrams

Associate
OP
The Stand is probably my favorite King book I've read. Read it at least two or three times. Vaguely recall seeing a low budget tv series (or was it a movie?) based on it years ago but it wasn't good.
I think The Stand would work really well as a high-budget Netflix or HBO series, it really does need rehashing and there has been rumors of a film remake in the works for a while now.

Associate
Stevie King has a new book coming out on 26th September (which he co wrote with Owen King) called Sleeping Beauties; and Joe Hill has Strange Weather coming out on 7th November.

Abrams series is set in King's universe but won't necessarily draw on any of Kings novels/Novellas or essays. It might contain references to events in King's novels though (obviously where Castle Rock is concerned), I wonder if other King locations will get a name check or mention (Derry or Haven etc)?

Caporegime
What upcoming Stephen King adaptation are you most excited for? IT
Favorite King adaptation? Misery
Least Favorite? Carrie (2013)
Novel or short story you would like to see adapted for the big or small screen? Not sure really. I feel most of the top ones have been done.

Also, I have to say, Kings great, but I also like James Herbert very much and was always disappointed that The Dark was never adapted for film.

Associate
Dark Tower

Even though it took some liberties and was (relatively) low budget I still loved the Stand, it just doesn't really stand up to the test of time.
Least Favorite?
Either version of Carrie
Even though I did love the adaptation of the stand I think there's now room for a much more faithful and big budget take. Netflix, Starz, AMC or any of them could easily do the stand justice.

Oh and damn you, I thought this thread was about them doing a Bubbahotep sequel.

Associate
OP
Stevie King has a new book coming out on 26th September (which he co wrote with Owen King) called Sleeping Beauties; and Joe Hill has Strange Weather coming out on 7th November.

Abrams series is set in King's universe but won't necessarily draw on any of Kings novels/Novellas or essays. It might contain references to events in King's novels though (obviously where Castle Rock is concerned), I wonder if other King locations will get a name check or mention (Derry or Haven etc)?
Yeah Sleeping Beauties should be a good read.

I think Castle Rock is just based in Castle Rock, will be reference heaven, would be fun to create a thread when it comes out to see if we can spot them all.

What upcoming Stephen King adaptation are you most excited for? IT
Favorite King adaptation? Misery
Least Favorite? Carrie (2013)
Novel or short story you would like to see adapted for the big or small screen? Not sure really. I feel most of the top ones have been done.

Also, I have to say, Kings great, but I also like James Herbert very much and was always disappointed that The Dark was never adapted for film.
James Herbert was great, my dad had all his novels signed when he met him at Radio City back in the 80s, he still has them in mint condition.
Dark Tower

Even though it took some liberties and was (relatively) low budget I still loved the Stand, it just doesn't really stand up to the test of time.
Least Favorite?
Either version of Carrie
Even though I did love the adaptation of the stand I think there's now room for a much more faithful and big budget take. Netflix, Starz, AMC or any of them could easily do the stand justice.

Oh and damn you, I thought this thread was about them doing a Bubbahotep sequel.
Haha or maybe a LoTR related thread.

Associate
I think Castle Rock is just based in Castle Rock, will be reference heaven, would be fun to create a thread when it comes out to see if we can spot them all.

I like that idea. Similarly, I wonder how many of King books will be referenced in The Dark Tower movie?

I loved James Herbert too; The Rats, The Dark and The Fog were ones I read in the early 80's - I have fond memories of those.

Similarly I read a lot of Koontz (although some of his stuff can be hit and miss - Twilight Eyes is a particular favourite of mine), and also Robert McCammon (Mystery Walk being a favourite of his).

Associate
OP
I like that idea. Similarly, I wonder how many of King books will be referenced in The Dark Tower movie?

I loved James Herbert too; The Rats, The Dark and The Fog were ones I read in the early 80's - I have fond memories of those.

Similarly I read a lot of Koontz (although some of his stuff can be hit and miss - Twilight Eyes is a particular favourite of mine), and also Robert McCammon (Mystery Walk being a favourite of his).
The Dark Tower trailer already references The Shining and IT, I'm guessing they are going to throw a few more in there. The Dark Tower series is so complex and full of references its crazy, especially when King himself appears.

Permabanned

IT. The trailer was GENUINELY very good. First in a while that's actually got me pumped for a movie.

The Shining, of course! Though I'll settle for The Langoliers ;P

Least Favorite?

As mentioned previously in this thread, most of them. Same with King's actual work. Absolute dirge occasionally flecked with gold.

All the ones I read as a kid and enjoyed have been done tbh :/

Back
Top Bottom