London Bridge Incident

Associate
the problem is if Whatsapp has some sort of backdoor to view messages, the terrorists will move to another encrypted messaging services and this will go on and go with security services chasing them, to me it doesn't seems to be an effective solution to the problem.

Has to be tackled at grass roots level, in the mosques that preach this hatred, shut down all that are Saudi funded and other that preach Wahhabi version on Islam, it is not compatible with a 21st Century democracy.

Caporegime
Terror suspects could write encoded messages down and decode them with a code book if you pushed them off the internet entirely. If you shut down WhatsApp then I am sure it would take about 30 minutes for an IS approved version of an open-source encrypted messaging application to be released for sideloading onto Android handsets.

There isn't a technical solution to the encryption question that doesn't also do a huge amount of damage to the economy and members of the public who need to secure things like financial transactions and personal data.

Soldato
the problem is if Whatsapp has some sort of backdoor to view messages, the terrorists will move to another encrypted messaging services and this will go on and go with security services chasing them, to me it doesn't seems to be an effective solution to the problem.

Has to be tackled at grass roots level, in the mosques that preach this hatred, shut down all that are Saudi funded and other that preach Wahhabi version on Islam, it is not compatible with a 21st Century democracy.
It's got it be made harder that's the point. It you then follow that hard route then it makes you stand out from the crowd and you become a target for counter terrorism.

How will it stop 3 men driving a van and using knives to stab people? None of these acts require an internet connection.
Why have a lot of people just been arrested? Why are they always linked to Syria? Why do they communicate on WhatsApp? Why do they visit the dark web? They are pressurised and helped by others. They are brain washed people

Soldato
Using the law. This forces companies that provide these services to comply and allow these people to be monitored.
Monitoring everyone to potentially catch a tiny minority is a ridiculous position. The government and law enforcement agencies in this country have a history of over stepping the mark and of loosing secure information. Terrorism is too convenient an excuse for the torries to go all big brother on us.

Cars kill many many more people a year yet we don't see a government scheme to ban or heavily regulate them similarly with booze!

Last nights events were tragic and my thoughts and prayers are with those that died but this is no justification for a police state.

Soldato
Monitoring everyone to potentially catch a tiny minority is a ridiculous position. The government and law enforcement agencies in this country have a history of over stepping the mark and of loosing secure information. Terrorism is too convenient an excuse for the torries to go all big brother on us.

Cars kill many many more people a year yet we don't see a government scheme to ban or heavily regulate them similarly with booze!

Last nights events were tragic and my thoughts and prayers are with those that died but this is no justification for a police state.
You don't need to monitor everyone. Just those that get flagged. Then they are easier to monitor

Soldato
It's got it be made harder that's the point. It you then follow that hard route then it makes you stand out from the crowd and you become a target for counter terrorism.

Why have a lot of people just been arrested? Why are they always linked to Syria? Why do they communicate on WhatsApp? Why do they visit the dark web? They are pressurised and helped by others. They are brain washed people

Why won't they switch to another app?

You don't need to monitor everyone. Just those that get flagged. Then they are easier to monitor

So you obviously haven't read what the Snooper's Charter entails then. I ask the question again, why do you have so much faith in May?

Soldato
I suppose it's easy for youngsters who have never known any different to think this way, but many of us are old enough to remember the world before homegrown Islamic terrorism was a problem, and what changed in the interim.

Still have the Sunday Times complete Gulf War collectors edition pullout section with lots of maps and military hardware specs!

I'm not a youngster.

It's been happening for centuries, it's just that it's moved over here.

Soldato
I have a reasonable level of knowledge - not intimate no - but when was the last time you saw an SFO unit equipped with a combination of L119 w/ magpul furniture, ops-core helmet and accessories and tactical QA config, etc.? that is kind of a specific loadout.

I'm merely interested nothing more or less.

Its not as if the UK press were reporting police looking to obtain the C8 Carbine (L119) like five years ago or anything....

I don't think the intimate 'loadout' of SFO's is really something out there freely in the public domain

Soldato
So if you saw me shooting a terroirst, you certainly wouldn't shoot me.

Sorry I have zero clue what this means.

What I'm saying is due to the difficulty in getting firearms terrorists are using knives, this doesnt sound like an argument for widely distributing firearms to me, does it to you?

Man of Honour
Its not as if the UK press were reporting police looking to obtain the C8 Carbine (L119) like five years ago or anything....

I don't think the intimate 'loadout' of SFO's is really something out there freely in the public domain

As I said I was just curious having a semi-professional interest in tactical gear, etc. nothing more nothing less you are blowing my post into something a lot more than was there.

Soldato
ff

Labour in their current form are a security threat. Jeremy Corbyn is the terrorists friend - shared a platform with hate preachers, wants to stop the police from doing what they did last night.

If you will post drivel based on nothing I will ask you politely to shut up.
It certainly doesn't look like the met police spokeman is happy with the status quo!

Back
Top Bottom