Tower block fire - london

Soldato
Fair play to the fire crews, going into a tall building in danger of collapse I would have thought. Horrendous scenes when I turned on the news at 3 am, looked like the whole block was ablaze. Yet some 4 hours later there were images of a guy on the 11 floor waving something white to attract attention. Scary stuff.

Soldato
we'll have to see what the investigation comes up with on that one, but if it was then hopefully as you say the people responsible will have to answer for it.

do we have any reason to suspect negligence with the refurb? if this kind of cladding is standard enough practice.

edit: i mean that in terms of we have the campaign group claiming the management company is crooked

It is all speculation at the moment. My point is just that "we complied with the regs mate" cannot necessarily be used as a defence in law.

As above but a quick google suggests:

The pressure treatment of timber with industrially applied fire retardant formulations can reduce fire growth rate, the spread of flame and the rate of heat release. These factors help maintain the integrity of structures, enabling both compliance to Building Regulations in terms of escape and safety of life and restricting damage to the building fabric itself.

Speculation I know but looking at the way it spread...

Soldato
As a chartered structural engineer, my only comment is that there is way too much speculation going on this forum. No conclusive explanation on how it started, and spread, so no need to speculate on who is responsible.

Soldato
It is all speculation at the moment. My point is just that "we complied with the regs mate" cannot necessarily be used as a defence in law.

yeah, it makes sense for sure, although if it was ok with the regs then the regs will need changed.

kinda sad how so often it seems people need to die before these things are looked into in a major way.

Soldato
With regards CDM, from a designers POV it states;

An organisation or individual whose work involves preparing or modifying designs, drawings, specifications, bills of quantity or design calculations. Designers can be architects, consulting engineers and quantity surveyors, or anyone who specifies and alters designs as part of their work. They can also include tradespeople if they carry out design work. The designer’s main duty is to eliminate, reduce or control foreseeable risks that may arise during construction work, or in the use and maintenance of the building once built. Designers work under the control of a principal designer on projects with more than one contractor.

You would be doing so if your detailing conformed to current regulations and manufacturers installation details. Someone mentioned something similar in Southampton? I don't recall a fire spreading like this in the UK before today ?

Soldato
As a chartered structural engineer, my only comment is that there is way too much speculation going on this forum. No conclusive explanation on how it started, and spread, so no need to speculate on who is responsible.
The videos on the ******* fire burning up the entire building is pretty good evidence as is the tens of blog posts by residents complaining that the building was not fit for purpose in the event of a fire.

but nahhhhh none of that is relevant of course.

Soldato
I'm stunned that some people managed to hold out and survive that. Some of the pictures show at least 3/4 of the building burning at the height of it.

Soldato
Is there a chance that the outside is severely burned but the inside is not too bad? I'd guess that the external temperature would ignite things inside the flats but it might have burned around the outside quite quickly...

Just heard that there is a fire in the middle of the building... Damn.

Back
Top Bottom