Tower block fire - london

Soldato
Friend of mine just told me the company he works for deal with the council in that area on a regular basis and they've had word the wiring in the building was so poor there were surges everyday, not electrically savvy at all so is that normal?

Surges are nothing to do with the wiring. Black outs and trips would be wiring. A surge would be from the supplier so probably a old transformer on it's Last legs. But these are normally submerged in oil so no air can get at the coils to cause sparks.
Plus the wiring will be just as good as when it was installed the only major difference between the refs then and now is the preferred type of earthing systems, protection systems and placement of components.
Oh and colours.

Doesn't look like a gas fire they go up with a big bang first.

Probably a old electrical appliance overheated and caught fire and then set everything else on fire expect a interesting hse report.

Soldato
Bit late to the story... Have they got any clues as to what may have started it?

That's not really the issue, fires start in residential homes all the time, the question everyone wants to know is how on earth it spread so quickly in a concrete building designed to stop the spread of fire.

Soldato
lol, just read that someone caught a baby being dropped from the 9th or 10th floor. I cannot imagine the pressure on the man who was making that catch.

Yeah I read that, the guy should get some sort of official award/recognition for that - in exactly what form I'm not sure, but he should certainly be highly rewarded,

Soldato
It's looking more & more like it was the cladding's fault the fire spread so furiously.
If it does turn out to be the buildings new cladding that cause the spread then I think it's time for new regulations that dictate that ONLY materials that can pass the toughest fire resistance / proof tests are legally allowed.

Soldato
Grim, no one can survivor that. The building has been burnt to a crisp, the temperatures would have been immense.

RIP to those who lost their lives :(

Associate
It's looking more & more like it was the cladding's fault the fire spread so furiously.
If it does turn out to be the buildings new cladding that cause the spread then I think it's time for new regulations that dictate that ONLY materials that can pass the toughest fire resistance / proof tests are legally allowed.

Building Regulations already require this in part so I suspect Rydon and the Council's Building Control team are to blame..

Soldato
Grim, no one can survivor that. The building has been burnt to a crisp, the temperatures would have been immense.

RIP to those who lost their lives :(

whats incredible as that some people did survive that, a testament to the basic fabric of the building that it can take that kind of punishment and still keep some people alive.

Soldato
Reports that fire service originally told people to stay in their flats. Apparently that is standard policy for fires in high rise blocks.

They changed their mind once they saw how severe the fire was and was telling people to come down if they could.

It may turn out the fire was underestimated.

I strongly suspect it will be found that the fire protection was woefully inadquate, the way the fire spread should not happen. there's going to be a lot for those responsible for th eblock and its refurb to answer to I suspect. Horrible tragedy that should never have happened.

Soldato
I deal with CDM as a manager on large construction projects.

What you have to keep in mind with the CDM regs is that they were designed with the view to allow for successful procecutions of those higher up the food chain. The scope is almost without limit if you can be shown to have the blame token. Also as they are prosecuted by the HSE in many cases it is on the basis that you are guilty unless proven innocent. "Foreseeable risk" for example is such a catch all that defending against it could be very difficult.

I am very weary of the power of CDM.

I think that's quite a cynical interpretation of CDM, its there to enure that risk is mitigated during the construction process and to ensure that people working within the industry are diligent during those stages. Its probably not for this thread though and we don't even what went wrong or when.

Soldato
Fire alarm system seems to have not functioned, Smoke running through the building internally.

I'm a electrician who works for a company who own over 15 of these type of buildings.

I'm actually shocked reading and hearing of different failures of different systems, some of the faults recorded by residents previously that don't seem to of been addressed are staggering.

Soldato
This is a devastating tragedy that probably didn't need to happen. Watching it unfold it was clear the flames were spreading rapidly up the outside of the building. Which points to the cladding. Since the building was recently refurbished and the cladding was part of that, some deeply serious questions will need to be asked. Also it seems that residents repeatedly highlighted a range of fire safety issues in the block and most of these were never addressed.

There's a lot of wider issues that badly need to be addressed regarding fire regulations, slum landlord culture, local authority cuts and so on. But right now efforts and thoughts should be with those affected by this horror.

Back
Top Bottom