RYZEN & RX 580 LAPTOPS ARE HERE!!!

OcUK Staff
OP
How do these compare performance wise to a similarly priced Intel/nVidia laptop?

Any application that is multi-core dependent I don't think there is any Intel based laptop that can even come close, so CPU processing power wise these blow anything Intel have out the water, so its an easy victory. If its down to GPU performance than the RX 580 4G outperforms the 1060 6G in the benchmarks Asus provided, though I'd say it was more a case of close / trading blows. At £1399-£1600 they are priced around 1060 laptops with the advantage being of having much better processor.

Soldato
USB 3.1 Gen 1 does not provide external GPU support, you would need some form of PCI-E based communications like thunderbolt.

Associate
How do these compare performance wise to a similarly priced Intel/nVidia laptop?

Right now, the GL702ZC is pretty even with an i7/GTX 1060 laptop in terms of gaming performance. This may change in future though once games start being built from the ground up for DX12 as it is extremely good at utilising additional cores/threads.

If you do rendering, movie editing or anything else that can take advantage of Ryzen's massive core/thread count then you will see a large difference right away.

Soldato
Hey Combat squirrel,

At the moment I can only confirm that you can run 3x 1920x1080 monitors @60Hz at the same time (2 over mini display port and 1x over HDMI). HQ are running more tests in the near future so I will hopefully be able to answer your question then.

Cool thanks dude - if it can do 2x 4k over mini display that is fine also ! :) (I tend to not use HDMI as I have no monitors that support HDMI over 1080p)

Associate
Good stuff. When are reviewers getting their mitts on them?

UK media will be getting samples just a bit before OcUK get their stock. In general, we try not to send early samples out to media as we want to be 100% sure that it fully represents the products that you can buy. None of that golden sample nonsense for us.

Associate
Trying to figure out if I should hold out for this or get the Gigabyte Aero 15! Main uses will be Photoshop, After Effects, Maya, 3DCoat and rendering. I'd be gaming on it as well though. Reviews are really solid for The Aero 15 but about €300 difference between the two laptops. It also has X-rite Pantone which is really appealing as a creator. So the main concern is having problems with the Ryzen hardware as it's very new and doesn't seem to be optimised for a lot of programs/games. Would you guys have any advice?

Back
Top Bottom