HyperX Cloud 2 Headset

Associate
Hi All

I've been using an old Senneiser Headset for about 10 years that sit on the ears and cost around £50.

I've recently been playing a lot of Player Unknowns Battlegrounds using these and because they sit on top of the ear using them for a prolonged period of time hurts my ears so I thought I would upgrade and bought a set of HyperX Cloud 2 but have tinkered around with the settings for hours but all I can say is that they're absolute rubbish. Directionally in game they suck, I can't tell where anyone is or what's going on. Even sound wise they are poor compared to the old Senneiser set for music etc.

The cloud 2 set is 7.1 surround and I've tried turning it all on or off and there are differences but not directionally and an old stereo headset seems to have no problem determining the direction of gunshots or footsteps???

Is there something I'm doing wrong or are they just bad?

Soldato
I've found them to be surprisingly decent tbh. Being able to hear which direction(s) enemies are coming from is one of the things I like about them :D
Then again, the only shooter I'm playing ATM is Gears 4, so I don't know how they are with other games.
The 7.1 thing is naff IMO and the velour pads made my head itch, but other than that, general thumbs up from me.

FWIW, my main cans are DT770 (250ohm) / AKG K712pro through a Xonar STX2. These are obviously better headphones, but I don't notice any difference between them and the Cloud II's in terms of less or more 'imaging'/directionality in games.

I don't really fiddle with this stuff, but I do recall one or two people in the Sound City section going into a bit of detail on how to get your gaming surround sorted nicely (game dependent). Maybe worth posting there?

Associate
Santa was kind enough to bring me a set for Christmas and the first impression was oh my god these blow!!

As time passed however I quickly realized that the headset is great but the 7.1 USB sound thingy sucks harder than a Dyson. Connect them up to a decent onboard or sound card though and you are in business.
I have mine connected to my onboard and have no issues with hearing sound coming for here, there and everywhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you make sure Windows playback settings were set as 7.1?

But would definitely expect USB thingies of all cheaper headsets to have barely above garbage quality components.
And you can't just do some cheap direct downmix of 7.1 channels to two channels either.

Creative's Audigy Fx which should be available for £30 likely has lot better components. (definitely class above ALC892 of that Asrock motherboard)
Along with Creative's binaural-simulation.
First minute of that tells if headphones are any good for gaming. Sounds should literally feel like coming from various directions and distances.
Just have everything in stereo mode with all effects/processing disabled.

Associate
I went with the original Cloud for simplicity. Guess I did all right. I like the headset overall.

...Although now I have a G933 fresh off the truck, because wireless. Will see!

Dude I got the g933 s. At first everything was fine ..sounded good but soon I developed software issues. Sent them back and the next pair had different software probs..anyway that was just my experience ....let us know how you get on with them

Associate
I think that you're doing something wrong. The Cloud 2 is incredible from what I heard. Even tried them at mates house, they're really good.

Back
Top Bottom