The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Associate
My advice get out and about for a few weeks, take lots of pics on auto and discover what you like taking pics of - I have found I prefer animals and nature.

Once discovered what you like taking pics of this will dictate the settings on the camera to use, also if there are better lenses available to get.

Also goto youtube and watch videos on settings for that camera, see how other people use it - it'll totally blow your mind but it will begin to make sense once coupled with taking pics.

Am still learning at the moment (lots to learn), still forget a lot of the basics whilst out taking pics but occasionally get some shots am happy with.

Google e-group.uk.net and mu43 forums as well.

Matt

Caporegime
Having been using the M5 MK2 aggressively on Safari the last few days I continue to be super impressed with it. The AF consistently performs well and the image quality is excellent.

It has made me want to start building my lens collection more and get a battery grip too :)

Associate
Well its here and first impressions are wow, amazing speed of it, everything ts just so much quicker than the em5 mk2, even managed some birds in flight shots so happy at the moment with the new camera.

I only had one issue but thats with my newbieness to photography the camera and in a particularly dimly lit area of a local RSPB site where I had to use 400mm and high speed to try to get a shot - it didn't work out as image too dark but other than that all ok.

Matt

Soldato
Well its here and first impressions are wow, amazing speed of it, everything ts just so much quicker than the em5 mk2, even managed some birds in flight shots so happy at the moment with the new camera.
Just remember to limit number of used focus points...
With that insane amount of focus points covering almost whole image camera can focus about anywhere if it sees better contrast there.

As for memory cards you forget fastest UHS-I cards
UHS-I slot doesn't support fastest transfer mode so any write speed over 50 MB/s doesn't materialize.
UHS-II slot is for fast cards when you want to take that burst of 200 RAWs at full continuous shooting speed.
https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/olympus-e-m1-ii/sd-card-speed-comparison-test/

Caporegime
Well being an expensive month.

Bought a Nissin A40 flash which is so much better than the freebie flash you get with it
Splashed out on a Samyang 12mm F2 lens for some astro photography.

Still desperately want the 25mm f1.2 lens but cant bring myself to pay that much money for a nifty fifty :(

And I am still waiting for a UWL f2 or better lens to be made for astro shots which is sharp(ish) across the frame. I thought the Laowa 7.5mm F2 would have being the perfect lens until I saw the coma on it :(

Associate
After thoughts on the Panasonic Gx80? After downsizing from my DSLR which isn't massive a (Canon 100d) yes I'll miss it for aviation stuff but I very rarely do this anymore so it's just sitting there.
Been using my compact more, but I'm after something more flexible so looking at going down the Mft route.

Just wondering what's it like? Will mainly be using it for scenic trips out on motorbike, trips out and holidays.

Caporegime
I enjoy mine, with a leather half grip it handles nicely, without it doesn't feel that comfortable. The new shutter and dual-IS are a definite improvement over the GX8 (my other body). I also like the in body USB charging.

The EVF is frankly crap though, the diopter adjustment doesn't go far enough for me and I don't even wear glasses - it's never sharp enough to know if you've nailed focus. The optics of the EVF are crap too, there's a tiny sweet spot where you can see the EVF clearly and even then you can't see the whole screen perfectly.

If I was buying now I'd go for the G80 as it's basically the perfect body for me apart from not having the 20mp sensor. Fingers crossed for a GX9 that brings all the G80 improvements plus the latest sensor.

Last edited:
Associate
Thought I'd give this a try for £100.

I like that lens a lot. It's on my camera often :)

After thoughts on the Panasonic Gx80? After downsizing from my DSLR which isn't massive a (Canon 100d) yes I'll miss it for aviation stuff but I very rarely do this anymore so it's just sitting there.
Been using my compact more, but I'm after something more flexible so looking at going down the Mft route.

Just wondering what's it like? Will mainly be using it for scenic trips out on motorbike, trips out and holidays.

I enjoy my GX80 a lot - I use it for all sorts of travel and general walkabout photography. With a dual-IS capable lens it's even decent at indoor/low light stuff even where the lens itself is quite slow. If you're not looking to spend a fortune get it with either the 12-32 or 12-60 and a fast prime.

I second Minstadave on the ergonomics though, the grip is not substantial enough, and there are few options for a meatier grip.

Caporegime
The 25mm f1.4 Pana-Leica is about £300 as a grey import and £450 from a U.K seller. The 25mm f1.7 isn't much over £100 grey and £160 from a UK seller.

If you need wider the Pana-Leica 15mm F1.7 is around £330 grey, £450 from a U.K. seller. That'd probably better for street scenes.

Associate
The 25mm f1.4 Pana-Leica is about £300 as a grey import and £450 from a U.K seller. The 25mm f1.7 isn't much over £100 grey and £160 from a UK seller.

If you need wider the Pana-Leica 15mm F1.7 is around £330 grey, £450 from a U.K. seller. That'd probably better for street scenes.

So the 25mm f1.7 Is the mft equivalent of the plastic fantastic 50mm from Canon?
Also is there a equivalent to say canons 55-250mm zoom. Cheap but cheerful.

Caporegime
Yup I think that's a fair comparison on the 25mm, cheap, pretty sharp but sample variation is high.

There's a range of zooms, the 45-150 is pretty inexpensive but I don't have one so know very little.

The 14-140 is an excellent choice, but more expensive.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Last edited:
Caporegime
The 12-32mm lens kit is the one to get. Its the best of the freebie kit lens.

http://m43photo.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/lumix-g-12-32mm-f35-56-review-small-and.html

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-g-vario-12-32mm-f-3-5-5-6-asph--lens-review-24162

And a bargain since the kit is only £90 more than the body only, bearing in mind its £260 for the lens on its own. Doubt you would ever lose money on the lens if you want to sell it later.

I would go for the gx80 purely for the OIS in body which works with the OIS in the lens. Its like magic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom