Ramdom black screen after the slash screen when booting from cold?

Associate
As above guys i'm getting a random black screen after the splash screen before the log in screen. Sometimes it boots fine and can log in and sometimes it just goes black after the splash screen.

I can only press the reset button to fix this then it restarts and checks the main ssd and then boot fine. No issues once logged in.

Any ideas? How can I find out the cause?

Any help much appreciated :) Thanks

Soldato
Just a shot in the dark - hardware acceleration on Chrome was making a friend's screen flash black at times. Not during boot-up mind you*. Disabling the feature reduced it but only got rid of it completely when he changed to Firefox (and HW acceleration disabled there). Not sure why it's fine on some systems and not others, but it seems Creators Update related. My Firefox pages would go black every few hours, till I disabled HW acceleration as well. Not sure if your issue is similar or has a different cause.

* Although if it's happening just after the splash screen for the login screen, that's probably when a browser will already load, i.e. when you login, the browser should immediately be available unlike other stuff that takes a few seconds to appear.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just did the memory test and that passed fine. Thinking of testing the ssd next. Any recommendations on what to use?

Associate
OP
Is the 1080 a recent addition and are you using a DP connection?
The 1080 had recently been replaced as was getting the black screen issue with the first ftw card. This is the later card with no black screen issues apparently. The old issue would turn my display off but with this card it stays on. Yes I am using a display port cable. I have just swapped this out to see if that was the problem but still no joy.

Soldato
I suffer the same problem with my GTX 10 series using a DP connection - it's not uncommon.

If you want to confirm that this is the issue try an HDMi cable for while.

It's not a major issue - more of an irritation from cold boots.

You could try a BIOS update - if you're not using the latest release.

Associate
OP
I suffer the same problem with my GTX 10 series using a DP connection - it's not uncommon.

If you want to confirm that this is the issue try an HDMi cable for while.

It's not a major issue - more of an irritation from cold boots.
Thanks. Whats the benefit of using a dp cable over a hdmi cable? How do you get yours to boot? Restart button?

Back
Top Bottom