• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
My Vega 64 AIO arrived safe and sound on Tuesday, no Haribo though! Here's a photo for the record:

dizi_vega_64.jpg

I'm more than happy with the performance, it's enabled me to run native 4K with higher FPS, and at the same quality settings or higher than I was running at 1440p and upscaling. Freesync's taken care of the rest. So far I've chucked ME: Andromeda, No Man's Sky, Deus Ex; Mankind Divided, X-Com 2, Dirt Rally (VR), Batman Arkham Knight and Witcher 3 at it.

So that's the positives. Now I need a bit of advice, the performance has been great... the stability not so much. Initially I couldn't even launch games, then I split the power over two PCI-E leads rather than daisy chaining. It's rock solid in most of the above, crashing occasionally in X-Com 2 and regularly in Witcher 3 (maybe every 20 minutes).

I'm running it on a new Corsair HX1000i, and I've removed the overclocks from the CPU just in case.

Here's the things I've done to try and gain more stability, referring to X-Com 2/Witcher 3:

• Updated BIOS (should've done it anyway)
  • Clean install of B6 drivers using DDU (this let me launch X-Com 2)
  • Removing CPU overclock (not sure, probably no change)
  • Single/Dual rail mode on PSU (unsurprisingly no discernable change)
  • Radeon Chill enabled (hard to say, but i'm impressed at how well it works)
  • Radeon Global Wattman set to Power Save (not tried X-Com 2, but this seems to have worked a charm in Witcher 3 no crashes in an hour of play)
I'm going to gather more data on Tuesday when I can next get some time in, any advice gratefully received in the meantime. I feel my PSU should be more than up to the task so I'm hoping you guys will go "Yeah, but you've not done this". My next port of call will be to log out stats in Witcher 3 without Power Save witched on and compare. The largest power out I have logged at the mo was 503 Watts, with 538 going in but that was in Arkham Knight which never crashed and ran at pretty much 60fps. In Witcher 3 with Power Save i've got 505 Watts in and 472 Watts out.

I'm not convinced the issue is power draw due to the fact the witcher 3 crashes seem like GPU driver barfing as the following sequence happens:
  1. Graphics freeze for 1-2 seconds.
  2. Display turns off.
  3. Keyboard locks up.
  4. HD activity light continues to indicate something happening.
  5. Game music may continue playing.
When the PSU was tripping it was pretty damn obvious what was the problem! :D

Could it still be a power issue with the HX1000i? I'd hate to RMA the PSU, I only bought it to be ready for Vega, and I really hope I don't have a flaky Vega card even though I'd much rather deal with Overclockers RMA procedure than anyone elses. My hope is that this is iffy AMD beta drivers and it will all come out in the wash over the next few updates. Power save seemed to knock about 5fps off my upper rates in Witcher 3, this is liveable for now but I don't want to be in a position where I can't take full advantage of the card.

** Hmm I forgot to dust the CPU pipes **

Associate
I could be wrong but to me that sounds like your tripping out your psu, where are you connecting the 8 pins into your psu ?

Hmm off the top of my head, CPU in the top right, Vega PCI-E cable 1 below to the left, and the 2nd Vega PCI-E up and to the left of that like so:

psu_config.png

So they're spread across the columns/rows available. and.... it's 2am. Sleep beckons.

Soldato
Well I will probably be coming off the owners list soon :p

Prior to my purchase of the Vega I was using 1440p monitors and a 1080p TV. After outlaying £1500 for my new PC luck would have it that I turned on my TV the night after finishing the build and it was completely garbled and out of warranty which led to me buying a nice new LG 65C7 4k which of course the Vega struggles with. Plus the fan was very loud and sounded like it was rattling a bit under load. As I only got it on Friday I decided to use the opportunity to return it and will be going with a 1080Ti so I have more acceptable framerates at 4k. Sorry guys!

Associate
Well I will probably be coming off the owners list soon :p

Prior to my purchase of the Vega I was using 1440p monitors and a 1080p TV. After outlaying £1500 for my new PC luck would have it that I turned on my TV the night after finishing the build and it was completely garbled and out of warranty which led to me buying a nice new LG 65C7 4k which of course the Vega struggles with. Plus the fan was very loud and sounded like it was rattling a bit under load. As I only got it on Friday I decided to use the opportunity to return it and will be going with a 1080Ti so I have more acceptable framerates at 4k. Sorry guys!

It's ok.. you made the right choice lol

Man of Honour
OP
My Vega 64 AIO arrived safe and sound on Tuesday, no Haribo though! Here's a photo for the record:

dizi_vega_64.jpg

I'm more than happy with the performance, it's enabled me to run native 4K with higher FPS, and at the same quality settings or higher than I was running at 1440p and upscaling. Freesync's taken care of the rest. So far I've chucked ME: Andromeda, No Man's Sky, Deus Ex; Mankind Divided, X-Com 2, Dirt Rally (VR), Batman Arkham Knight and Witcher 3 at it.

So that's the positives. Now I need a bit of advice, the performance has been great... the stability not so much. Initially I couldn't even launch games, then I split the power over two PCI-E leads rather than daisy chaining. It's rock solid in most of the above, crashing occasionally in X-Com 2 and regularly in Witcher 3 (maybe every 20 minutes).

I'm running it on a new Corsair HX1000i, and I've removed the overclocks from the CPU just in case.

Here's the things I've done to try and gain more stability, referring to X-Com 2/Witcher 3:

• Updated BIOS (should've done it anyway)
  • Clean install of B6 drivers using DDU (this let me launch X-Com 2)
  • Removing CPU overclock (not sure, probably no change)
  • Single/Dual rail mode on PSU (unsurprisingly no discernable change)
  • Radeon Chill enabled (hard to say, but i'm impressed at how well it works)
  • Radeon Global Wattman set to Power Save (not tried X-Com 2, but this seems to have worked a charm in Witcher 3 no crashes in an hour of play)
I'm going to gather more data on Tuesday when I can next get some time in, any advice gratefully received in the meantime. I feel my PSU should be more than up to the task so I'm hoping you guys will go "Yeah, but you've not done this". My next port of call will be to log out stats in Witcher 3 without Power Save witched on and compare. The largest power out I have logged at the mo was 503 Watts, with 538 going in but that was in Arkham Knight which never crashed and ran at pretty much 60fps. In Witcher 3 with Power Save i've got 505 Watts in and 472 Watts out.

I'm not convinced the issue is power draw due to the fact the witcher 3 crashes seem like GPU driver barfing as the following sequence happens:
  1. Graphics freeze for 1-2 seconds.
  2. Display turns off.
  3. Keyboard locks up.
  4. HD activity light continues to indicate something happening.
  5. Game music may continue playing.
When the PSU was tripping it was pretty damn obvious what was the problem! :D

Could it still be a power issue with the HX1000i? I'd hate to RMA the PSU, I only bought it to be ready for Vega, and I really hope I don't have a flaky Vega card even though I'd much rather deal with Overclockers RMA procedure than anyone elses. My hope is that this is iffy AMD beta drivers and it will all come out in the wash over the next few updates. Power save seemed to knock about 5fps off my upper rates in Witcher 3, this is liveable for now but I don't want to be in a position where I can't take full advantage of the card.

** Hmm I forgot to dust the CPU pipes **

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.
k0HZfc3.png

Date 21/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, diziet, Link
Date 19/08/2017, Make Reference Air, CapitalOne, Link
Date 18/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Chrisc, Link
Date 18/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Richeh, Link
Date 17/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, DazQ87, Link
Date 17/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Smudge, Link
Date 17/08/2017, Make Reference Air, ChosenName, Link
Date 17/08/2017, Make Reference Air, mattyc123, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference Air, WhistleBlower07, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, Chewie, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, nashathedog, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, heartburnron, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference Air, vanpeebles, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Morve, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Howling, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Apache14, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, Dianbobo, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, ubersonic, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, AMDMatt, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, TonyTurbo78, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, MDPlatts, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Vega 64.

Associate
With all of these "is this PSU up to the job" questions I'll report back on some stress testing on my 750watt PSU when I get my CPU back from AMD. The full specs will be

CPU : R7 1700 @ 3.8ghz (hopefully fixed)
RAM : DDR4 @ 2933mhz
MOBO : Gigabyte X370 Gaming K5
GPU : RX Vega 64 (ref blower model)
HDD : 1x1tb (can't remember the manufacturer)
SSD: 1x 128gb Samsung Evo
NVME : 1x 256gb Samsung Pro
PSU: super flower leader gold 750w

Hope someone will find it helpful, and I hope to have my CPU back this week.

Permabanned
With all of these "is this PSU up to the job" questions I'll report back on some stress testing on my 750watt PSU when I get my CPU back from AMD. The full specs will be

CPU : R7 1700 @ 3.8ghz (hopefully fixed)
RAM : DDR4 @ 2933mhz
MOBO : Gigabyte X370 Gaming K5
GPU : RX Vega 64 (ref blower model)
HDD : 1x1tb (can't remember the manufacturer)
SSD: 1x 128gb Samsung Evo
NVME : 1x 256gb Samsung Pro
PSU: super flower leader gold 750w

Hope someone will find it helpful, and I hope to have my CPU back this week.

I definitely will, Cheers.

Associate
watched the adoredtv youtube vid, very interesting he tested the different modes ie turbo and balanced and found turbo used about an extra 90w for about 5 fps so a bit pointless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIGpvBrwXvA

Ye that was incredibly interesting, makes me wonder what that extra power is supposed tobe doing when we know so many features are not yet enabled.

Nice looking card :)

All of these Vega cards will have a near empty PCB.... Looks really strange

Them moving the vrms makes me wonder what difference it will make as buildzoid stated the ref vrms are the most optimal setup.

Associate
I could be wrong but to me that sounds like your tripping out your psu, where are you connecting the 8 pins into your psu ?

It doesn't sound like the PSU tripping out at all. For that PSU it doesn't matter which of the 12V outlets is used.

If no-one else gets the same problems with the same drivers, it's more likely to be a problem with his Vega. If it's not stable in balanced power mode (after having ruled out software issues), I'd RMA it. I wonder if upping the power limit makes the crashing more likely?

Associate
It doesn't sound like the PSU tripping out at all. For that PSU it doesn't matter which of the 12V outlets is used.

If no-one else gets the same problems with the same drivers, it's more likely to be a problem with his Vega. If it's not stable in balanced power mode (after having ruled out software issues), I'd RMA it. I wonder if upping the power limit makes the crashing more likely?

i did say i could be wrong, i only said it because when i had 780's in sli i had a 1200i that would trip and had to rma that.

Permabanned
Nice looking card :)

All of these Vega cards will have a near empty PCB.... Looks really strange

It'd be good if the Sapphire Vega 64 Tri-x has the same short pcb and backplate as the Fury Tri-x did. The Sapphire Fury Tri-x was the reference Fury pro so of the three fans only 2 were covered at the back leaving one third of the heatsink with a fan and no backplate or pcb which let air flow through that part of the heatsink easier, AMD did a 3 fan Fury which they made there own pcb and backplate for, It was a full length design. This resulted in the Asus being both louder & hotter than the Sapphire reference pcb model. Basically it seems that it was the best of the bunch so I'll be keeping an eye out in the hope Sapphire develop a similar short pcb Vega, Sadly the fact that the reference Vega's are full length makes it unlikely. :( It's hard to understand how AMD got Vega so wrong. :confused:

Permabanned
Adorned TV did the Liquid Cooled Vega 64 review with a 750W PSU. It doesn't need a 1000w mate.

Maybe, I tried mine with 2 different 850 watt models an old TX and a new HX and it couldn't run with any increase to the power mode whatsoever. I'll have to look for the Adored Video, Did he test it in all three power mode states?

Back
Top Bottom