• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Caporegime
Matt did you miss the part where I said I don't use third party app?

I OC'd HBM using VBIOS. I can show you AIDA64 GPGPU and 3DM FS gaining performance with HBM clock increase on v16.12.2 WHQL (plus every earlier driver) and not on any v17.x.x driver.

This same method was how I proved to members that HBM1 clocked in steps. As many and indeed I contested this concept you posted originally on OCuk, Guru3D and other places.
Come on mate, do you think we support bios modifications? Furthermore, do you think that we will use valuable engineering resources investigating how to enable HBM overclocking on a product that was never designed to support HBM overclocking?

Can we keep this thread to owners discussion. Use the other thread for opinions etc.

Yes we can. :)

It was enabled before. AMD switched it OFF. There is a difference.

Almost no Fijis weren't capable of 545, and a lot were capable of 600. Both offered large boosts, particularly when OC'ing the core.

I still haven't heard of any HBM failing under normal gaming / productivity use with overclocks. The only chance of damaging it comes with over volting it - which only miners (who use the old, working driver) and people messing around with LN2 did.

HBM overclocking was never exposed in Overdrive or Wattman.

Last edited:
Associate
Come on mate, do you think we support bios modifications? Furthermore, do you think that we will use valuable engineering resources investigating how to enable HBM overclocking on a product that was never designed to support HBM overclocking?

It was enabled before. AMD switched it OFF. There is a difference. That's tacit support being purposely removed.

Almost no Fijis weren't capable of 545, and a lot were capable of 600. Both offered large boosts, particularly when OC'ing the core.

This gimps performance.

I still haven't heard of any HBM failing under normal gaming / productivity use with overclocks. The only chance of damaging it comes with over volting it - which only miners (who use the old, working driver) and people messing around with LN2 did.

What guarantee that AMD don't de-support HBM OC'ing with Vega if miners start heavily over-volting and OC'ing the HBM, which leads a bunch to try returning them after they fry them?

In this thread you're encouraging people to OC Vega's HBM to extract more performance ...

Last edited:
Associate

I am not asking or stating is bios mod supported.

I am stating that where we saw performance gain from HBM clock increase on every driver until v17.x.x why has it been gimped now?

I added nothing to VBIOS to make HBM OC, I only change PowerPlay HBM clock from 500MHz to what I want. This is what a AIB would do when selling a OC edition card. Which is also similar to what a SW tool would be doing via driver/OS.

I can see it is futile discussing this with you Matt, you are bouncy the question back as an AMD rep and not seeing it as an end user POV. Your initial attempts were to bounce this at 3rd party apps, now you are digging at bios mod.

I think I'll do some benching and postings on various sites, so perhaps prospective AMD VEGA owners may know that a year or so down the line a flagship card gets gimped by AMD just as nVidia has been highlighted in media.

Associate
can you post somewhere else? the AMD guy in this thread has said he has nothing to add so you're just ******** up the thread with nonsense.

Associate
Another VEGA 64 LC owner here, came home hoping to play around with undervolting. After playing around with it a bit combined with furmark, people recommended me to use unigine heaven/valley instead.

Sadly enough my system seems to crash on unigine heaven when my card is at stock voltages and frequencies.

650W Corsair PSU, VEGA 64 LC, i7-3770k

I'm running the unigine valley benchmark as we speak, and it hasn't crashed yet. Does anyone else have issues with their systems crashing when running unigine heaven?

Edit:
This is with the newest drivers of course, 17.8.1.

Associate
can you post somewhere else? the AMD guy in this thread has said he has nothing to add so you're just ******** up the thread with nonsense.

I replied to his last question in above post, which I believe I needed to.

I did not start the discussion of this topic within this thread. Another did and when the blame was being attributed to 3rd party apps I felt I needed to state it is not the case.

I will not post on this topic in this thread again, unless of course others bring it up.

Caporegime
Another VEGA 64 LC owner here, came home hoping to play around with undervolting. After playing around with it a bit combined with furmark, people recommended me to use unigine heaven/valley instead.

Sadly enough my system seems to crash on unigine heaven when my card is at stock voltages and frequencies.

I'm running the unigine valley benchmark as we speak, and it hasn't crashed yet. Does anyone else have issues with their systems crashing when running unigine heaven?

Edit:

:(

Associate
Do do do, another one bits the dust. :(
Yeah :(

The fact that it hasn't crashed yet on the unigine valley benchmark makes me sceptical if the card is broken or if the benchmark somehow does something super funky though. Can anyone else run unigine heaven for 30 minutes without any issues? On the latest driver that is.

Caporegime

Edit:

Your psu might be marginal for that card tbh, no real headroom. According to some reviews an aircooled one can get around 600 watts total system draw.

Associate
Your psu might be marginal for that card tbh, no real headroom. According to some reviews an aircooled one can get around 600 watts total system draw.
Hm that would suck, but fair enough.

The odd thing is that the unigine valley benchmark has been running steadily for 30 minutes so far.. :(

Also, it may be interesting to mention that my system was fine running furmark for 30 minutes

Last edited:
Permabanned

Edit:

I was thinking the same, I don't think a 650 watt psu is enough, I also think there may be big variations on a chip by chip basis. My Vega LC couldn't hold stock clocks with a 850 watt psu, I could only run it in power save mode which knocks the power limit down by 25%.

Caporegime
I was thinking the same, I don't think a 650 watt psu is enough, I also think there may be big variations on a chip by chip basis. My Vega LC couldn't hold stock clocks with a 850 watt psu, I could only run it in power save mode which knocks the power limit down by 25%.

It's beyond the point of even saying its ridiculous now =/

Caporegime
I am not asking or stating is bios mod supported.

I am stating that where we saw performance gain from HBM clock increase on every driver until v17.x.x why has it been gimped now?

I added nothing to VBIOS to make HBM OC, I only change PowerPlay HBM clock from 500MHz to what I want. This is what a AIB would do when selling a OC edition card. Which is also similar to what a SW tool would be doing via driver/OS.

I can see it is futile discussing this with you Matt, you are bouncy the question back as an AMD rep and not seeing it as an end user POV. Your initial attempts were to bounce this at 3rd party apps, now you are digging at bios mod.

I think I'll do some benching and postings on various sites, so perhaps prospective AMD VEGA owners may know that a year or so down the line a flagship card gets gimped by AMD just as nVidia has been highlighted in media.

Big difference, HBM2 overclocking is supported on Vega in our drivers, it was never supported on Fiji. If it was supported, in the bios or via drivers, it would've been available in Overdrive/Wattman.

If HBM2 overclocking ever stops working on Vega, please let me know and I'll ensure engineering takes a look at it.

Let's get back on topic now as instructed by Stanners.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

@schneeb stop reporting posts you disagree with. Abusing the reporting function will result in action being taken, particularly as the last few report reasons are vague, ambivalent or nonsensical.

Back on topic: I'd like to see how the cards perform under proper custom water loops :)

Soldato
Noticed over the past few nights that in games where my card is being fully worked my temps are between hitting 69 in either turbo mode or with a slight overclock - that's with leaving the default fan profiles. Given the max limit for the card is set to 70 I was wondering if anyone else is seeing these sort of temps? I have my fan exhausting out the back of the case and I know the optimal position would be behind the intake fan at the front which would be an option but that's likely to only bank me 1-2 degrees isn't it? Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom